MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: anyone have a single shot 44 magnum rifle

Boolit Master

anyone have a single shot 44 magnum rifle

my dad is looking to get a single shot 44 mag rifle. if you have recommendations on which brand that would be appreciated. im already outfitted to make loads for my lever action 44 at .4324 diameter so if me and him could use the exact same rounds for hunting season that would make my job easier. I think ive only ever shot single shots in 22 and shotgun so I know very little about single shot rifles on the market.

"Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Have heard good things about both the recommendations above.

Personally I have a pair of H&R Handi rifles in .44mag that I would not sell or trade for any reason.
    I got mine by just mentioning on Graybeardonline H&R forums that I was interested. In 6 hours I had 2 offers, so since I could not decide between them I took both. Both are great. One has nice wood furniture with a 1/5x5 scope. The other is camo composite with a 2x Red Dot sight.

It would be my first choice for hunting. But at the range at 100 yards the scope can outshoot the Red Dot. However at 75 yards its still a dead heat. And the Red Dot's quicker target acquisition and smaller profile tip the scales. Both shoot the Lee .430 200 gr and .430 220 grain very well over 6ish grains of Red Dot.

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger 1 in 44 mag. Still looking for a Handy rifle.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

I just recently traded off a #3 Ruger 44mg. Very good shooter. I have a 223, 45/70 and two 375wins in #3s. Now only 44mg carbine I have is 1970 Marlin 1894 saddle ring. Had both sighted at 60yds and both did 1" with same ammo. 240gr XTPs. I will probably trade it off too because I'm in the 375w mode for my main deer gun.At practical range for 44mg which I consider to be 100yds. I haven't run into any SSs that didn't shoot well enough for deer. The biggest problem is the triggers are terrible on the tumble guns. Exception are the TCs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    my dad is looking to get a single shot 44 mag rifle. if you have recommendations on which brand that would be appreciated. im already outfitted to make loads for my lever action 44 at .4324 diameter so if me and him could use the exact same rounds for hunting season that would make my job easier. I think ive only ever shot single shots in 22 and shotgun so I know very little about single shot rifles on the market.
    Gunbroker has one for about 450 H&R 1871/NEF 44 mag
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy

I have a pair of H & R's in .44. Unfortunately they are no longer made. Both have another fitted barrel. The newer one has a smaller bore. Henry single shot has a trigger issue. If skilled can work thru that. I would say that a 44 in a single shot is a very useful tool. No plans on parting with either until the grandkids are at a point where they can see the usefulness of them.

Boolit Master
    I have a CVA Scout II in 44mag. I like it. A bit overpriced (I paid too much) but a solid gun with a 1 in 20" twist barrel, and a great trigger.

Boolit Master
    probably looking at CVA, but likely ordering through cheaper than dirt or someplace like that, my local store sells them 150$ higher which is pretty insane markup for a cheap rifle

I have a CVA hunter in 44 mag , trigger is great , it shoots well with the lee 310 gr , I am quite happy with it

I love my CVA V2 in .300BLK. Solid rifle and a great trigger.

Cheapest I've seen a CVA V2 .44mag anywhere. $266. https://tsswarehouse.com/shop/cva-sc...t-cva-cr4432s/
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master

Well I would get a T/C Encore orr a Contender and have MGM make me a barrel https://matchgrademachine.com/match-...photo-gallery/ or https://www.eabco.net/search.html?k=44+magnum+barrels
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Me too, the TCs are better guns than H&R, Henry or import breakdowns. H&Rs are selling for $350-400 locally if in Ohio legal deer cartridge. I don't see the value in them. I'm not a fan of TCs either I think all the break downs are over priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Me too, the TCs are better guns than H&R, Henry or import breakdowns. H&Rs are selling for $350-400 locally if in Ohio legal deer cartridge. I don't see the value in them. I'm not a fan of TCs either I think all the break downs are over priced.
    I've had a T/C contender and a CVA V2 and would put my CVA at least (if not better) in quality than my Contender. My .44 mag Contender needed the bolt replaced on 2 barrels as it kept popping open on firing. Rear sight kept falling apart as well. I got rid of it after getting tired of messing with it.

The CVA is built by Bergara and is a solid chunk. My rifle looks tiny but feels like a tank when you pick it up. Solid lockup and very accurate. Below is cheap factory ammo at 100yds. Below that is 50yds with sub-sonic plated 150gr reloads.

Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

I don't doubt you one bit. Every once in a while a cherry or lemon is produced. The nature of mass production.
    I've had TC Contenders and never had any problems. I had 22, 44mg and a 14" 30/30. No complaints but guys getting barrels in stiff rifle calibers did have trouble. That was a no brainer. The newer models are suppose to have been beefed up to handle them. I've not owned one but several locals are into them and have the carbines with ML barrels and large rifle barrels, as 444 & 45/70. Haven't herd of any problems yet. This is going on 5th year of the local craz on them. I mounted scope and sighted one in for a guy a few years ago in 375win and the accuracy was impressive. Still not a fan. We are restricted to straight wall-38cal minimum here in Ohio. Speaking only on the gun, the new low end BAs ( which I don't like either) are more gun for the money $300. They are selling a pile of Rugers in 350L here in Ohio.

Banned
    CVA hunter is a bargain, great trigger and shoots great

Boolit Master
    I had a Thompson Center G2 Contender in 44mag but had it chambered to 444 marlin. It shot good in 44, factory 444's are painful, but I download to more acceptable levels. I would recommend this rifle with an MGM barrel in 44.