MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Marlin 1895 GS - groove diameter question/pet loads

Boolit Mold

Marlin 1895 GS - groove diameter question/pet loads

I have recently acquired a beautiful Marlin 1895 GS made 12 years ago (2007). After a disassembly, inspection, a little fettling and reassembly, I took it to the 100 yard range with a box of Remington CorLokt 405 gr semi jacketed flat point "Safe in all rifles" loads.

Box read 1330 fps at the muzzle of a 24" barrel, figure maybe 1250 fps from this 18.5". Just delightful to shoot and ring some steel.

I'm looking to load some cast boolits but haven't slugged the groove diameter. Anyone know what these guns typically run? I'm eager to throw some Trapdoor-level, mild loads together for it and have some .458" pc 405 gr Brazos Bullets rnfps. Thinking of +/- 26 grains AA5744 for 1350-ish fps.

Never run a pc cast bullet. Folks run these without lube? Gah. So much more to learn...

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0971.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	251754
    "If ever a cartridge and revolver were meant to be together, it's the .41 and the 4.62-inch Blackhawk. It just don't git no better than that." - 1911Tuner, February 2013

"And maybe a little Ballistol and a dab of possum fat..." - Flinchrock, January 2013

Nice JM gun. I never slugged mine. I just tried Lee 457-405’s unsized with a/c ww. They drop at .459 from my mold and I shoot them unsized. Accurate to 1 inch at 50 yards. I never looked back. That one bullet along with lee round balls are the only projectiles ever run through my 2009 JM 1895g. They do it all. Hope that helps a little.

Boolit Master

I have an 1895SS. Will sound funny but I've never fired it! Marlins have a reputation for liking a relatively fat bullet, usually .459, .460, and sometimes even larger than that. I don't use 5744 in 45-70's but a friend does. He runs a 405 at about 1,600fps, but he weighs over 500lbs and "likes" recoil. Not me. For a fun plinking load many use about 10 grains of Red Dot, 12 grains of Unique and other similar loads under a 405 grain bullet. Be very cautious and avoid a double charge with these loads. My favorite, go-to load for my 26" barreled Browning is 36 grains of 3031 under a 405.
    Good luck!
    Rick

I have a Marlin 1895 LTD-V in 45/70. It likes cast lead at .460 dia. and will shoot 3 shot groups of one inch at 100 yards day in and day out. My pet load is a 350 gr. Ranchdog cast boolit at 1900 fps for best accuracy. I have several friends that hunt with Marlin 45/70 rifles and their best grouping load is sized at .460 dia. also.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies!

I should mention that this gun has Ballard-cut rifling, not microgroove.

I should go get some sinkers and measure it. Just thought someone might know.
    "If ever a cartridge and revolver were meant to be together, it's the .41 and the 4.62-inch Blackhawk. It just don't git no better than that." - 1911Tuner, February 2013

"And maybe a little Ballistol and a dab of possum fat..." - Flinchrock, January 2013

Boolit Master
    I love Marlin lever guns. I'm on my second Marlin 1985, SBL model this time. I started my casting career for a 1895 20 years ago,got horrible leading with a Lee 457 mold. Got proper size molds and life was better,not perfect. I got 3" no matter what. But I shot tens of thousands of different bullets,short range. Timed practise for moose hunt etc. Great fun.

Now, with SBL, my size ended up at .4595, I shoot Hi Tek coated. Pictured is RCBS 325 grainer @ 1900 fps. I can hit claybirds on a 100 m berm all day with this load,standing,barrel stays ridiculously clean. This is the lightest bullet I use,a 465 grain Applegate FN is another favorite of mine.

Coating is great,I have my first 45-70 No Lube Groove mold coming from Mihec right now.

I would start with 458,nobody can tell your particular barrel size without slugging it. Get a couple of 457 Lee dies, hone one larger a little (.0005) at a time until you find satisfactory accuracy. Then go on and try larger with the other die. Save the smaller one just in case it was the sweet spot right away.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the same rifle. Mine slugged at .4575", so I size to ,4585", It shoots fine, using the factory open sights, generally 2" groups at 50 yards. I'm sure it could do better with better sights and younger eyes. I'm using three different Lee moulds, the 340 Gr. RNFP, 405 Gr. HB, and 500 Gr. gas checked. Never a sign of leading with either traditional lube or powder coat.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Mold
    Petander, thank you! for a terrific post and that beautiful photograph. I must invest in dies and a hone or two.

454, thank YOU! for the encouraging words. I take it you meant you have the same 1895 GS, Ballard rifling?

Thanks again everyone for your replies. I will report back after I see how my sample loads shoot.

Boolit Master
    You"re welcome!

I'm using a .459 expander from NOE for my .4595 bullet with Starline brass. The "rules" say I should use a .458 which I also have... But my fired brass is very clean and everything is fine.

These are good. Unless you are using RCBS cowboy 45-70 dies your expander is undersize for cast.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, mine has Ballard rifling. It even looks identical to yours.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Mold
    Unless you are using RCBS cowboy 45-70 dies your expander is undersize for cast.
    Funny thing I had ordered both RCBS 3-die sets in .45-70; their standard set and their Cowboy set... and there was .0005" difference between the two expander buttons. Go figure. I might call 'em.

I did then buy a Lyman M expander die... thinking it was something different than it is. It is no more greater diameter than the RCBS Cowboy expander, but the Lyman has a removable/interchangeable expander button, so, there's that.

That said, I've already loaded 20 test rounds using the Hi-Tek-powdercoated Brazos Bullets .458" 405 gr rnfp. I won't be able to get to the range until after the Thanksgiving holiday. Even then, it might be another two weeks after that.

Thanks again for your helpful replies, gentlemen!