Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Experience w/making 45 Raptor brass

Boolit Buddy

Experience w/making 45 Raptor brass

I've been piecing this project together since last year. I finally got the hand guard I wanted and ordered the Barrel and was looking into Starline brass when my barrel showed up. Well one end of the package was torn mostly off and poorly taped back on. When I unpackaged it, it had an ugly gouge about 3' long on it with some scuff marks also. I have no idea how long it will be before it comes back now so I thought maybe I would make brass instead. I have a boat load of 30-06 brass. But I don't know if I will need to turn/ream the necks for bullet seating. That would add more expense, no previous need for those tools. (I am a tool Junkie) Annealing is not an issue. I think what I need is for someone to explain the usage of tools for turning/reaming to educate my brain into understanding weather it would work for me or not. So I can research and window shop at the same time. Or help me with weather I really need to or not.
    Anybody else made 45 Raptor brass ???

Afterthought: I'm going to have to wait until that barrel comes back, Ain't I ?
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Buddy
    Following closely, this is an amazing round . the Taylor knock formula is in the 40’ s . I think it’s more potent than a 45-70. I have not done it but I read that some cut, anneal and use a 9mm expander die to start opening , then a 45 acp expander die to open more , trim to length , then inside neck ream ..... these steps are generic bc I have not done it , but researched some

Boolit Master
    A buddy of mine made a bolt rifle for the 45 Raptor based on a 1903 action. When we started making brass from 30-06 it was soon realized that the brass thickness was too great to chamber after seating a bullet. Inside reaming cleared it right up. Several split necks, but the project turned out fantastic - and legal where straight walled cartridges are required. The thing is a sledgehammer!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You'll want your barrel in hand so you don't spend a lot of time making brass that doesn't quite fit. Don't make Raptor brass but do make several wildcats off of 06 brass. The 44x1.8" is the closest but they all are prepared similarly. Cut, debur, anneal, expand, size, trim/ream, debur,load. I'll set the Forster trimmer up with a reamer and ream and trim in one step and use an M type expander I made to expand the cases so no fireforming needed. You do need the smaller reamer for unfired cases though as they generally have one size for fired cases and one for unfired. Forster will also make a custom size for you if you call them. Trimmer is set up for one of the wildcats with the reamer pilot to ream & trim in one step. Not as accurate as neck turning, but a lot faster and you can still get sub moa groups which for a deer gun is fantastic. I'd likely get starline brass if I end up with a raptor.

I have made hundreds of pieces out of 06 brass. Started out by cutting off the shoulder and expanding the mouth enough to ream it out with a .452 neck reamer. 30-06 brass is amazingly thick. This process is very labor intensive so I reamed out a 30-06 barrel with a 45 Raptor reamer and fire formed hundreds more. Much easier this way, but you still have to ream the necks. They work great and are super tough. So finally when I got tired of this I went and bought a mess of factory Raptor brass and load that now.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I know this isn't that answer to the question asked . I necked up 308 for the one I did .

If I did make some from 06' etc I'd expand 32,38,40 then cut , anneal and run it through the 460 sizer and flair . Then I'd load them with plated and turn them down to free chamber and leave the step inside to prevent future setback . I'd use a sharp file and run them rim up in my drill press .
    Seating length isn't an issue in my case for the step in the case . Using 308 removes all of this fun.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate all your input. Still waiting for a barrel, and I see no reason to rush it. Sorting head stamps now, I'll adjust my cutting jig next. I been telling myself I'll save cash this way, for the coming Christmas season. (so I can buy myself more tools ! LOL)

Boolit Buddy
    So, I've come to conclusions. I still think it will be much cheaper to make brass, not quicker OR easier, but cheaper. I must be a fiddler because I really enjoy playing like this.

I did get a barrel back and have made a couple pieces of brass. I tried to make a Go-gauge from one piece of brass, but not sure it turned out rite. So I stuffed a 280g (1E-not pointy) HP in that case and it wont enter chamber even halfway. Being totally unfamiliar with turning/reaming I have been researching by way of window shopping. My preference would probably be Hornady, but near as I can see so far, they don't make any reamers and no turning pilots over 338 or something close to that. K&M and Forster were the only other real competition that I found. With me leaning towards the K&M, but no reamers there either. I could be wrong on any of that. Drill bit/press with a wood screw for a clamp ? Starline brass is still an option too, I need to take some time and think about this.

Boolit Buddy
    I dont believe that the Raptor is actually based on a 30-06 case. The Raptor spec is .478" dia just forward of the extractor groove. A 30-06 case is specd at .470" at the same location. It may work just fine I dont have first hand knowledge or experience, just pointing out it is a bit undersized.

Boolit Buddy
    If there is a parent case spec'd at .478", I haven't found it yet. After that, a fired 06 case flared and sized in a 460 die doesn't "seem to" wobble when inserted into chamber. On the other hand, I did read somewhere, someone had a concern that would leave a home made case off center at the head. Maybe I just need more education, .008" doesn't worry me. How off center could that 06 case have been when it was fired originally ? If it expanded even marginally centered, that would cut current condition down to .004" possibly ?. You are right, the raptor mimics the 460 S&W case, remove the 460's rim and that mimics the 308 case. which is essentially the same as 30-06. I appreciate your concern, but I'm not the first person to do this.

The 6.5 X 55 Swede would be closer to your base diameter but not cheap or easily found.
    If Starline makes the brass ready to fire I would get some and save the headaches.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I appreciate your input, but I'm committed now. Started cutting neck and shoulder of brass with a bandsaw. Will, expand, trim and anneal next. In my search for an expander, I found that my 458 SOCOM expander does an excellent job and leaves the job done with no fire forming necessary after FL sizing in a 460 S&W die.

When you get some cases made, make a cerro casting of the inside of a case and make an expander that matches that plus a couple thousands. I'll usually just slightly over expand similar cases and use the sizer to end up with a formed case.

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent Idea, THANKS !

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    As to off center expansion 6.5×55 , 220 Swift , 7.7 Arisaka are a closer fit maybe .
    Do the 303 head tape lap trick to hold the rear of the case centered .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .