Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Solid or lube groove?

Boolit Buddy

Solid or lube groove?

I am powder coating all of my bullets and looking at a new mould for 9mm. I picked up an NOE for 38/357 a while back and it works great. Now I am seeing more moulds with no lube grooves. What are the advantages or disadvantages either way?

As a side note, my 9's at this time are all CZ's.

Boolit Master
    I did a thread like this a while back, some things are.

for me atleast regular lube groves fully obturate out flat when fired in some calibers, because there's nothing in them to resist. so I consider that less than optimal

also lube groves are just making it less mass efficient for length, look at a 44 keith boolit for example its basically a 38cal lead with driving bands sticking out. so your stuck with more outside or inside the case then you could have.

personally I think ordering with tumble lube groves are best for PC, because it provides a little bit of displacement room when sizing and when being squeezed by rifling, but not more than needed. plus its most likely the easiest design to stick powder too.

when I order for PC in mind I order TL grove that drops at a diameter where I could tumble lube and shoot straight from the mold if I really wanted but not so big to where your sizing down allot after PC'ing. then if your ordering with gas check shank I order .001 smaller but I guess that depends how it normally fits for you.

Boolit Master
    I am a traditionalist I guess. I want the lube grooves and the traditional type of lube.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post

also lube groves are just making it less mass efficient for length, look at a 44 keith boolit for example its basically a 38cal lead with driving bands sticking out. so your stuck with more outside or inside the case then you could have.
    Exactly. A thin bullet core. And lots of wasted powder space.

NLG bullets are also very easy to cast,bullets dropping from mold like rain.

Boolit Master
    I've got both styles in 9mm, all get HiTek coated. I've never learned to use traditional lubes.

I don't know what other folks have found, but my current favorite design has a lube groove. At the same cast weight and sized to the same diameter as other grooveless designs I have, it makes the same velocity as the other boolits with less of the same powder (loaded to the same internal case volume). Maybe there's a difference in friction from the reduced bearing surface. I'm not sure since it doesn't seem to apply to the other lube grooved designs I have.