Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: .30 caliber rimmed cartridge for #1 rolling block

Boolit Buddy

.30 caliber rimmed cartridge for #1 rolling block

I rebuild derelict rolling blocks. Does anyone know of an off the shelf group of components to make a good cartridge in .30? I have made one in 300 blackout on .357Mag cases but would like something different. I intend to use liners in 30 caliber, 10 twist with outside diameter of .370 so pressures need to be kept low! It would be ideal to be able to buy common dies to load the suggested round so cost would be kept down. Thanks for your thoughts.

Boolit Grand Master

30 herret could be interesting. Even a 32 20 slightly necked down to 30 cal might give what your looking for. but would be on the light side for powder capacity. Set down with cartridges of the world and look thru it to see whats been done already. Also look at the shutzen sites and see what they are using in the 200yd macthes.

I would think of going with a 32 H&R magnum with a liner that small. They can be loaded with .308 bullets or .311 / .312 cast in a .308 liner.
    Being a true strait wall you can use carbide dies and brass can last nearly forever.
    I built a rifle such as you are mentioning a year ago on a break action single shot 410 with a thin wall liner in 32 H&R but I was trying to go cheap and use a chucking reamer instead of using a real chamber reamer and somehow got a slightly oval chamber near the case mouth and fired brass was hard to extract. I ended up rechambering it with a 300 blk out reamer run in .060 short and shortened the sizing die by .060 and form the brass with 357 mag brass. That works well and prevents a regular 300 blk out from being able to chamber and my handloads on the shortened 357 mag cases are loaded light to give similar velocities to what the 32 H&R would give.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy

Ideas forming...

Good ideas gentlemen. The .30 Herret is a little scary pressure wise, but since its a wildcat I suppose I could add a note on the barrel: "BP only".

Also, Jedman, I stubbed a .32 H&R barrel for my S-1 H&R recently and have the dies for .32. Will the resizer for the .32 size the neck down enough for .308+.003" boolits?

Still looking for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    I would think of going with a 32 H&R magnum with a liner that small. They can be loaded with .308 bullets or .311 / .312 cast in a .308 liner.

Being a true strait wall you can use carbide dies and brass can last nearly forever.
    I built a rifle such as you are mentioning a year ago on a break action single shot 410 with a thin wall liner in 32 H&R but I was trying to go cheap and use a chucking reamer instead of using a real chamber reamer and somehow got a slightly oval chamber near the case mouth and fired brass was hard to extract. I ended up rechambering it with a 300 blk out reamer run in .060 short and shortened the sizing die by .060 and form the brass with 357 mag brass. That works well and prevents a regular 300 blk out from being able to chamber and my handloads on the shortened 357 mag cases are loaded light to give similar velocities to what the 32 H&R would give.

Jedman

have a martini that is 30 carbine rimmed ,runs 32-20 brass through a 30 carbine die .You can load as hot or lite as you like and uses 308 bullets

How about the 30 badger it's a wildcat thought up by a member here name of badger ed , if I recall it's a 38 special necked to 30 cal I think he just ran the brass into a 30 tokorev die . Sorta the same as a short 300 BO rimmed
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Fishoot, With a liner OD of .370 you are pretty limited in 30 cal. cartridges. It sounds like you may have a lathe to do your work have you thought of other calibers that could be done by turning your own thick wall liners from take off barrels ?
    I have done several dozen on shotgun barrels lined with a rifle barrel or blank turned to fit the bore and chamber and they work very well.
    I have a Remington no. 1 rolling block shotgun that is a 20 ga. and was going to rebarrel it to a 50-70 but after thinking about it I believe I will just bore the chamber strait at .750 and leave the bore standard 20 ga. diameter and turn my barrel as a liner.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 11-25-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Boolit Master

I have been wanting an excuse to buy build a 327 Fed Mag. Such a variety of cartridges can be shot thru it!!

Another that makes a dandy hunting is the 30 Govt. 30/40 Krag! Good long neck for CB and lil better PC than the 30/30.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    I do have a lathe, but doubt how straight the barrel would be if I turned it down. I have a liner coming in the .370 mentioned. The .30 carbine rimmed and .30 Badger are both in the running. Thanks for the thought fuel gents!

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a barrel and plans to make a rimmed 30 carbine out of one of my single shot actions.
    Apparently you can use 32-20 brass in a 30 carbine Blackhawk by running it in the 30 carbine dies. I'm not sure why but the idea appeals to me.

Slightly bigger is the 30-40krag of course.

The 32-20 / 30 carbine rimmed would be possible but the 30 Badger would have a base diameter larger than you liner is thick.

Jedman

Boolit Master

30-30 Wesson, a black powder cartridge designed by Frank Wesson about 1880. I think the brass can be made from 357 Max.

Boolit Grand Master
    Remington manufactured a trim little 30-40 Gov’t (Krag) carbine on the rolling block action. I’ve seen several, including one I should have bought from an estate, but have no shooting experience with them.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Since I am not a machinist and don't understand the liner business, my post may not be of value (happens a lot for me- ), but I have a single shot TC Encore in 307 Winchester that works great for that platform and for me. Basically it is a rimmed 308 Win. I just use 308 Win loading information and reduce the loading info by about 4% since the interior area of the rimmed case is about 4% less than a standard 308 Win.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    John, The 30 Wesson was high on my list, until I looked for a reamer and loading accessories. The 30-40 and 307 Win both have standard loads that are a little much for an old #1 (in my opinion). I like the .32 cases and wonder if there are reamer rental and reloading components that are readily available? Anyway, thanks to all for the contributions to my project.

Boolit Master

PTG has the 30-30 Wesson but it cost with shipping puts it close to $200. I chambered a rifle in that caliber a year or so back and the customer supplied the reamer, can't remember who it was. Finding dies would be another problem. Just remember that you are limited to black powder pressures. You might think about the 32-40 which is available. I have the chamber reamer , liner dies are available.

Boolit Buddy
    You're a prince John! I have a 32-40 reamer and all. I have a roller I chambered in that caliber. The 30 Wesson really intrigues me. Too bad it is not more mainstream. Thanks for the help.