RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All purpose 223 j word bullet?

Boolit Master

All purpose 223 j word bullet?

I picked up a cheap Thompson Compass in 223/5.56 to for a flat shooting predator/pest rifle. The local range is adding a 500 yard range that I might do some paper punching on for fun. I doubt it will get pressed into deer/hog service, but I figured as long as I was working up a load, might as well try to find a multipurpose bullet. A search has indicated the 64 grain Powerpoint may be an option. Any others I should look at?

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe Nosler makes a 60gr partition that others have indicated works well.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the Speer 70gr semi spitzer,and the 63gr Sierra smp..I like the Winchester 64gr PP as well,and have several loaded now,but they are very picky as far as seating depth goes.They have a strange profile.They are only .224" diameter very close to the base ,and then they start a gradual taper that you cant notice unless you measure them.What looks like bearing surface is actually under size once you get up about .224" or so off the base .The old rule of thumb of seating at least as much bullet in the case as the diameter of the bullet applies with these,but anymore depth,and you are loosing neck tension .You could probably fudge on them a little with a good crimp,but not much.

Moderator Emeritus

1:9 twist.
    I'd use a 55gr JSP
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Twist? If 1-9 let 55-62 fly and then listen to the gun.

Boolit Master

Yes, 1:9. How about Sierra 65 Gamekings?

I've had good luck with Bob's Bullets 55gr fmj.

https://223bulkbullets.com/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Yes, 1:9. How about Sierra 65 Gamekings?
    I don't think you would get good stabilization,especially after you bleed off some velocity .The Sierra 63 gr smp stabilizes well in 1-9,as does the 70 gr Speer semi spitzer.They are both flat base,and short for their weight.

The old Hornady 60 gr hp is a good all around bullet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My go to bullet for 223 Rem in 1-9 or 1-12 twist is the Sierra 55 gr. SPBT. accurate and deadly on coyotes without too much fur damage.
    In an AR platform with 1-7 twist I go heavier...Hornady 60gr. HP's.

Boolit Master

Try Sie 69s and 748. I wanna try the new Sie 65s myself. That 1-9 might stabilize a Sie 80 if pushed hard, my R700 PSS will but the 75 Amax and H322 is a winner too for distance. For plinking, I like the Hornady 55 FMJBT or Spire point with an appropriate dose of AA2230, TAC of Benchmark.

Another vote for the 60 gr Nosler Partition if you are going to carry it where you might have a shot at deer or hogs. For general use I have used the 60 gr Hornady spire point. Good heavy plinker and very accurate in my Kimber varmint and Ruger MkII 77 223. TAC works best for me.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    The 1-9 twist in my 22" barrel will stabilize the 77gn Match King bullets out to 1000yd. They are within MOA at 600yd. But, have to be at near max load. Not sure about other >70gn bullets, but, any of the 69gn bullets should be good for any range where they remain supersonic. I use Varget in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    .........For plinking, I like the Hornady 55 FMJBT or Spire point with an appropriate dose of AA2230, TAC of Benchmark.
    I also use the little Hornady bullet for plinking, but with Varget. It is surprisingly accurate for such a cheap little pill.

Boolit Buddy
    The factory seconds nosler 64 grain bsb bullets shoot well out of all my 223. And out of a 22-250

Banned

ive had good luck with 65 game kings. But if I was going to tackle a deer or pig and was starting fresh I think id look at some of the new bonded bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have heard rave reviews from some about the 65 gr game kings on deer
    mainly from a gent who used a 220 swift to hunt everything including
    cape buff
    if I were going to hunt deer sized animals with a 22 cal I would use
    a barnes 77 gr TTXB
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Hornady 55 grain JSP. My Zastava 85 loves 'em!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Hornady 55 grain JSP. My Zastava 85 loves 'em!
    For deer?

Boolit Master
    The Sierra 65 sounds good, a buddy has killed 2 good bucks with shoulder shots from a Savage with 1-9 twist, dropped them in their tracks, both 150 yds or less. His friend shot one at 250, and never recovered it. A .223 can kill a deer if everything is right, but it is not a deer round, here in my neck of the woods, where we have seen a bunch of big, big deer this year, more than any other year in the last 40 years.. I have also seen a .223 crater on hitting big knuckle a few times. Just my opinion, and you know what that is worth. On smaller bodied deer, it would be a different case.

Boolit Grand Master
    Agree with Koger.

If I had to do it, the 65 gr. GameKing would be my choice.

Just FYI, I bought 6000 Hornady 55 gr SP in bulk for my .223's, but do not intend to hunt deer or shoot past 250 yards with them. For $7/100 they are a good buy. You might want to think about a cheap "blasting" bullet for paper and varmints plus a bullet like the GameKing for hunting if you must use the .223. Better option would be to purchase another Compass in a more appropriate caliber for hunting and long range duties. My Compass in .308 is sub MOA.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast