WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: spanish mauser

Boolit Mold

spanish mauser

Hi i have a Spanish Mauser in 8mm and it shots high what can i do to fix it thanks joe

Banned

Aim low! Military rifles were regulated to shoot high!

Boolit Master

Some detailed information would be most helpful. Load, velocity, range to target, scope or iron, etc.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

Put on a taller front sight.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Numrich used to sell tall front sights that with some filing would fit most military front sights. I purchased a half dozen several years ago. May try Brownells also.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Aim low! Military rifles were regulated to shoot high!
    This. Most of the military rifles of the day were set up to be volley fired against a standing man target, didn't matter if you hit the enemy in the foot or the head, it took him out of the fight, but it's maddening for most of us now who only have 100 yards to shoot.

Besides the new front sight, this is a good reason to develop cast loads, they usually shoot a lot closer to POI at realistic ranges, kick you around a lot less and are also cheaper. Lots of info on cast in 8x57 around here. Good luck with the rifle, you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Boolit Master
    If you’re more concerned with function than looks. You can build up the front sight with JB Weld. After it’s dried overnight you can shape it and sight in using a file (assuming you built it up high enough). Birchwood Casey sight black will cover the gray JB Weld.

Boolit Master
    joe,

How high is your rifle hitting at 100 yards and with what loads. My 8MM Spanish rear sigh starts at "200" and hits about 3 inches high at 100 with my 150 J reloads and on point of aim at 100 with 170 grain J loads.

My 8mm cast boolit is the Lyman 323471, 215 grain RN ahead of 25 grains of IMR4198. I have to set my rear sight at "500" to hit on point of aim at 100 yards. Maybe that boolit will suit your needs.

Adam

Boolit Master

Brownells sells a[replacement front sights for the mauser and require very little fitting. I put one on a Model 24/47 and then gradually filed it down to make it hit with my load at 100 yards. I saved the sight so that I could return the Yugo to correct condition if I want. Worked for me, james

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Brownells sells a[replacement front sights for the mauser and require very little fitting. I put one on a Model 24/47 and then gradually filed it down to make it hit with my load at 100 yards. I saved the sight so that I could return the Yugo to correct condition if I want. Worked for me, james
    I'll go with TNsailorman -- I've used Brownell's replacement front sights to zero several Mausers.

Boolit Master
    Yup, the sights are typically regulated for 300 meters or 300 yards depending on the country. As mentioned you can usually get a replacement front sight to zero them in better. Or just drill and tap for a scope. Having the gun zeroed for 300 meters makes sense with the military as they can aim for a man size target and have a good chance of hitting him or her out past 500 meters. Hit them anywhere removes them from the fight.

Boolit Master
    I have got 1-spanish mauser 1- yugo mauser and 2-german k98 mauser all shoot high with the mil sights I built mounts and mounted 2x BSA pistol scopes on each now each will hold 1 to 1 1/2 moa at 100 easy. Forgot 1, 1916 spanish mauser in 7.62x51 that got the same treatment with a 2x7 pistol scope. that rifle with my hand loads is the most accurate of the bunch with sub moa groups.
    Last edited by tdoor4570; 11-24-2019 at 11:07 AM.

Boolit Master

I fitted a Marbles rear sight to a Remington 721 last night while watching a football game. Took all of about 15 minutes including the time to find my sight working kit. I have a small 3 corner file with one side ground smooth and a brass sight punch and a small plastic hammer, which work like a charm. Try with light tap, file 2 or 3 strokes, try, tap, file and tap, until it goes with light to medium taps. File on the sight, NOT the barrel dovetail slot. Sight can be replaced, oversized barrel dovetails are going to require a "custom" sight base. Brownells at one time, had a formula to decide how high the front sight needed to be(I don't know whether it is still on their website or not). Once you do one or two sights, it becomes easier and easier. For me, it was worth ruining the first front sight I tried to fit. I got a little carried away with the file and removed too much metal. Lesson learned the hard way. my experience anyway, james