ADvertise hereRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading

Thread: WTS Bismuth/Tin lead free alloy

WTS Bismuth/Tin lead free alloy

I have ~30 pounds of 58.3% Bi and 41.4% Sn this is a hard lead free alloy used for casting. Bismuth is one of the metals used for lead free bullets or lead free shot.

According to Rotometals this alloy weighs in at 75% of the weight of lead. Low melting point of 281* F. Might have uses as either lead free shot or lead free cast bullets. With some caveats. The high tin helps keep the bismuth from fracturing but lowers the density. Specific bullet shapes and length may or may not perform well. Your "favorite" bullet for a given firearm may not perform well in an alloy this different from lead, you may have to find another mold or change your load. I'm thinking gas checks would be almost mandatory given the melt temperature. Bullets will be long for weight. Expect to do some experimentation. Your mileage may vary.

Shot makers I have no idea how this stuff will do as dripped shot. You will be boldly going where I cannot. No dripper. Given that lead free shot is really expensive this might be something you can use to make your own. Could be useful as larger shot for geese.

Alloy is ideal for fishing weights. Would make some mean slingshot ammo from a round ball mold without worry of lead from handling. If one has some antique molds for casting lead items this might be an alternative that would allow making those items. Mostly I'm thinking people might want to make lead free bullets.

It has the advantage of not changing size much going from liquid to solid, and for an alloy of this type it is toward the high side of melting temperatures.

This link is to a material sheet on the alloy. See the technical info and overview.
    https://www.belmontmetals.com/produc...melting-alloy/

Rotometals also carries it and has some information.
    https://www.rotometals.com/lead-free...tin-alloy-281/
    One does have the option of adding bismuth to change the percentage, add weight. Less than 12% tin bullets tend to shatter. Bismuth has grain with long fault lines. BHN is high also.

Now as to price and amounts. Rotometals wants $14 a pound. I don't. How about....

Whole batch of 30 lbs plus to your door for $225. Assuming you make shot from it that would be $450 worth of shot.

Or

Item 1). 10 lb. box for $80 delivered
    Item 2). 10 lb. box for $80 delivered
    Item 3). 10 lb. box for $80 delivered

I'll do paypal you pay the 3% fee or USPS money order. Shipping is to anyplace a USPS flat rate box goes. That includes Alaska and Hawaii.

Post an I'll take it here and PM to provide address and confirm. Don't miss a chance to experiment with lead free bullets at a lower cost. Or stock up on homemade lead free shot.

I'll entertain offers made via PM but honestly this stuff is expensive. I don't think I'm going to get around to using it so would rather see it get used, that desire is not enough to get hammered on price. However something is worth what people will pay for it. Worst I can say is no. They have a bad word filter on the forum so that is about the worst I can say. Really
    Last edited by RogerDat; 11-23-2019 at 10:20 AM. Reason: added payment methods accepted
    Je suis Charlie
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this way of getting casting material somehow.
    Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat I do trade a bit from time to time.

Bump for the weekend crowd done with chores.
    Je suis Charlie
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this way of getting casting material somehow.
    Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat I do trade a bit from time to time.

Bump for those watching the Sunday news programs, or kicking back after church.

I'm surprised not more interest in casting lead free bullets or dripping lead free shot. On the list of projects I have stacked up for "someday" this project has just slipped so far down it probably won't get done so I'm selling the alloy.
    Je suis Charlie

Weekend bump.
    Rough time for those of us who have two favorite teams. Michigan State & whoever is playing Ohio State.
    Je suis Charlie