Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: CVA Paramount vs soup up a ruger/remington action

Boolit Master

CVA Paramount vs soup up a ruger/remington action

A relative asked me for my thoughts and all concerning the CVA Paramount. He has the money(but is a conservative) spender. I read up on this gun and it sounds great for what it is but I do not get the price tag. If I wanted something like this guns performance(and I don't) I would get a ruger or remington mzzl rifle and replace the barrel with a green mountain 45 and appropriate twist, transfer or reproduce the fire plug thingy. Even if you got 600 bucks in the gun it would cheaper and far better to look at then the CVA and you could carry it with out a set of wheels under it. Paramount gun and scope looks like a easy 11 or 12 pounds. I am getting tired thinking of that brute and I never touched one. Is my thinking here rational?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    whoooooa, I got this on wrong place. I wanted muzzle loading section!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

I've seen it, but I don't want one. The idea of a 45 caliber gun is a good one for long range shooting. The bullet they recommend is the Powerbelt ELR. At 280 grains, it claims .452 G1 ballistic coefficient. Someone must have got the BC mixed up with the bullet diameter, because there is NO WAY that bullet has that kind of BC. A hollow base like that destroys aerodynamics. By all accounts the Hornady 250 grain FTX should have the same or higher BC, and it claims a more realistic .210.

The CVA rifle itself uses a Bergara barrel, so that's good. With a 1:22" twist barrel, I know I would be looking into a 500 grain lead conical if I was going for true long range performance. Those light bullets at high velocity are great for flat shooting to 150 yards. Beyond 200 though, the wind is a bigger factor.

Boolit Master
    They look neat and I would have a use for it here in the desert.... Doesn't interest me at the current MSRP. My CVA optima will have to do for now shooting Thor bullets and Blackhorn 209 it kills just fine.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle