MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Kentucky Windage on a scope

Boolit Master

Kentucky Windage on a scope

What is your method for shooting cast and jacketed from the same rifle? My Remmy 700 -06 is topped with an older Leopold 3x9 Vari III on a single piece mount and no iron sights. It is currently zeroed for 165-180g jacketed.

Shooting most all of my cast loads to date put the groups 10-12in low and a bit to the right at 100 yards (I can live with that). At one point we tried to zero to cast but I ran out of "up" on the scope long before I hit zero at 100 yards, so it was re-zeroed back to the jacketed starting point.

I ended up putting the point of my duplex crosshairs right at 12 o'clock on a 10 in bull to even get into the black for the bullet I had out today.

Which got me to thinking short of weird shimming the scope or a diffrent mount do I need to start a cheat sheet for hold over for each of my cast Boolits?

Boolit Master
    they make angled bases designed for long range shooting that would fix your adjustment range running out. just look up 20moa base maybe even steeper if you think youd need it.

With the -06 and similar cartridges, the simple solution to the OP's problem is to add propellant; move the cast bullet at factory velocity or close thereto. For me, with .30-30, .30-40 and .30-06, the POI relative to POA does not deviate in any consequential degree between cast and jacketed.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    don't think that would work for most people, I know in my 30-06 soon as I break 2k it goes from 2 moa to several feet real fast even with powder coating and gascheck or paper patch

Boolit Grand Master

In long range we used scope mounts bases with 20 moa built into them, This helped to keep crosshairs better centered in the field of view. With the old unertal, lyman, external adjustment scopes different height blocks were used to accomplish the same thing.
    You might look for a base that's 15-20moa elevation, the draw back might be the rifle wont zero with jacketed loads at 100yds with it.
    For load testing I use a piece of butcher paper 3 ft square and the target in the center or where needed. As long as the holes are in the paper I can judge load and work from there.

Boolit Master

I use a different method using the plex cross hair I use the top of the thick post as the Cast bullet POI and load change to adjust to that.

My son however likes a mill dot recticule and has the cast point of impact written on the note taped to the stock for what ever that does as I don't use a mill dot