Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not having a good day

Not having a good day

About 8 this morning 4 bucks came by chasing a doe. I shot the third buck. Trailed about 200 yards . Blood stopped. Tracking dog will be here this afternoon. Looked like a solid hit. Mule kick tail down. Here is some pics of the blood.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Pics.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

That looks like a solid hit. It should be pretty close.

I've heard of them going under a bush and you can't see it from 5' away.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Pics.

That deer is Dead

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    When you run out of blood trail, the deer will most likely be laying within 30 yards of the last sign, dead. They tend to circle a bit as they are dying, so search a fairly wide pattern. It's surprising just how well camouflaged they are when lying on the ground. I walked by one within a few yards several times before I spotted it, and it was in plain sight when I did. You can also sit and wait, and many times the birds will tell you where they are.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    When you run out of blood trail, the deer will most likely be laying within 30 yards of the last sign, dead. They tend to circle a bit as they are dying, so search a fairly wide pattern. It's surprising just how well camouflaged they are when lying on the ground. I walked by one within a few yards several times before I spotted it, and it was in plain sight when I did. You can also sit and wait, and many times the birds will tell you where they are.
    Exactly. They tend to circle back in the direction they came. Last known safe place is what I always figured.

I tend to smell the deer before I see him. Make circles and get wind in your face.

Get down on your knees and scan. It gives you another aspect. You may see the body's height above the floor

Good luck. Good advice above. I also have found that they come back close to where they were shot if not pushed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    This^

I reckon you will find it though, using a good dogs nose.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Had to track one a few years ago that my son shot with a mechanical broad head that failed to open. Drive a stake in the ground at the last spot where blood was found. Look closely in the 180 degree area around the stake in the direction the deer was going. If you find more blood move the stake to that point and repeat the procedure. Wounded deer tend to go down hill (at least that’s been my experience. Good luck. Btw we found my son’s buck after searching a couple of hours.

Boolit Master

Sure hope you find it! I'm headed out with a 44 boolit in the muzzleloader...

Boolit Master

I hope you marked the blood trial and at the last spot of blood start walking in a circle making it wider as you go I had one buck fall into a ditch I must have walked past him ten times before I found him
    Good luck pictures when you find him
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Take surveyors tape and tape the blood trail and other anomalies , it will make a HUGE difference in locating the deer.

https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail...yABEgIP8_D_BwE

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Bub
    If there is any water in the vicinity, look in the water. I hit a buck once a bit low in the chest. He went about three hundred yards. Found him floating in a 100 ft. Wide pond... Good luck!and

I had one hit similar in KY last year.... Great blood at first, easy to follow in the dark. Couple spots where the deer obviously stopped, easy, easy, easy... UNTIL, the blood trail got thinner and thinner, then just vanished. Son and I looked three hrs. that night and another 3 hrs. in the morning. Nothing. Deer ran hard when hit, so I know she had all 4 legs under her. Never could figure that one out.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Running? How far? Gut shot? A lot we don't know. The dog will trail him and good luck!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Dog found blood. He was bedded. Ran favoring left front leg. His right side was to me when I shot. Last seen running 1/4 mile away across county road. Dog handler reccomend calling it. I agreed. We had trailed him 1/2 mile through green briar and brush.

Not a good day for the reputation of handgun hunters. All the ones I have shot that dropped within 30 yards dont count. The sights looked good and I had what I thought was a good sight picture. Clean trigger break.

I am royally pizzed at myself.

Boolit Buddy
    I had that happen this year I followed a blood trail for over 400 yards on a buck I hit 2 times in the boiler room it looked like someone took a bucket of blood and threw it in the woods I could never find him

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I am royally pizzed at myself.
    Not even Babe Ruth hit a home run every time...….
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

We accept this risk when we choose to be hunters. I don't like it any more than you do, but it happens. We do all we can to ensure a clean kill, but sometimes it does not happen.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast