RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another for the radio techs out there

Boolit Master

Another for the radio techs out there

Seeing the talk of older radios on a recent thread got me to thinking.
    Something I have been looking for a while now is a good AM receiver. Used to have a Panasonic 8 band that was my fathers that really brought in the stations but it started acting up a couple of years ago so had to set it on the shelf until I could find someone to repair it if possible but in the mean time want to find something new.
    Have tried a couple of the China radios one in particular was to have been highly rated but turned out to be a complete disappointment.
    Does anyone have any recommendations ? Price is not a object.

Thanks
    Reg
    Facta non verba

https://app.box.com/s/5u59vwlqu2oxex7t4afivmix90b269nr service manual. Probably need to find a Ham to fix it, no real radio TV shops anymore.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

Tecsun PL-660 Shortwave receiver from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL-660...JD8Y7M6N8HJ8KX

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Alinco DX-R8T

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010970

This product requires an optional power-supply (3A-class /12Vdc) and an external antenna to operate.

Features of DX-R8T/E
    • I/Q signal output allows use of third-party SDR software
    • 150 kHz 35MHz (T-model up to 30MHz) in AM/USB/LSB/CW/FM and IQ modes
    • Front and rear jacks make connecting accessories easy
    • Direct frequency input to the dual VFO system
    • Detachable front-control panel offers more mounting options
    • Large LCD display makes operation simple
    • Front-speaker and powerful 2W audio output makes it easy to hear signals
    • Rugged, die-cast chassis
    • Narrow ceramic filters (AM 2.4kHz/SSB 1kHz) and 0.5kHz audio-filtering for CW
    • 4-level RF preamp/attenuator
    • IF shift and RIT reduces interference
    • Noise blanker enables clearer reception
    • 3 banks/600 memory channels make it easy to save banks of favorite frequencies
    • Two sets of programmed search pairs and varieties of scanning modes
    • Auto-power-off, Sleep-timer, Dial and Key locks, RX indicator illumination and more!
    • Computer utility software makes it easy to manage settings and edit memories
    • Monitor shortwave signals from aviation, navigation and data sources

[Standard accessories]
    • DC cable (EDC-37)
    [Optional accessories]
    • EDS-17 Front control remote kit (5m cable, front panel bracket, unit cover and hardware)
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

That panasonic is a dual conversion crystal filter 10.7 1st IF radio, a pretty neat one. Very similar to some Nationals in the 'old' days. Only multiband (she) has is Degen, portable with mp4 player. I got the old one, worn out ear jack. Used to be a lot of multiband but not many after the internet took over. I don't speak the lingo of AM stuff anymore. Heck, Fm is pretty sad too.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Popper

yup, thats the critter all right ! Going to print this off even though I am sure I am not qualified to do the parts replacement. Its possible I may have a lead on a ham who might do this in Scotts Bluff.
    I really do thank you
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master

Outpost75

This looks nice and will check into it. Not sure if such a thing is out there was really hoping to find something a lot like the old Panasonic as we also want to bring it with us when we take off in the camper. This looks more like a very nice base unit.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master

MaryB

Tried one of these, it just didnt have the range reception of the old Panasonic, lots of static. Perhaps I am looking for something that might not be out there anymore
    Facta non verba

Moderator Emeritus

Those older AM receivers had a MUCH better antenna, I use the external antenna jack on my PL-660 and use a wire strung around my upstairs ceiling... forms a loop that is 25'x16'. and I have a small preamp on it... But my main receiver next to the bed is a Grundig Satellit 750, if you can find a good one they are worth the money. VERY good AM receiver, has a built in rotating bar antenna on top to notch out other stations. I was listening to WSM from Nashville last night(I live in SW MN!). Tecsun S2000 is the same radio. Not cheap, but works well.

Old radios had more sensitivity than the new stuff. Cheap blasters are - well - cheap blasters. TV sets have reduced sensitivity now too as so many have changed to cable that doesn't need much. Guitar shops have little NOS and want a pretty penny them. There is a Co making tubes again, for high end stuff (old McIntosh, etc) but again, pretty pricy. For a while a Co made SS replacement tubes but IIRC they went bust. Watch out for NOS as many are scavenged and about worn out anyway. Kinda like once fired RPU?
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

Good source for tubes, good quality and they will replace anything bad. http://www.esrcvacuumtubes.com/index.html my go to source when restoring an older receiver.

Boolit Master

I do have some better AM reception from a couple CC Crane radios I have that are fairly new In the past I found a wire hooked to my big stereo receiver AM antenna poles to my Heating ducts did a grand job on reception . Today most power supplies,battery chargers, and many L.E.D. light bulbs also cause AM radio noise to make things worse!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Banned
    When dealing with AM radios the antenna is KEY !

Even a low quality AM rig will excel when paired with a good antenna.

The old "Select-a-ntenna" has been discontinued but used ones are available on ebay. For less than $60 you can greatly improve the reception of just about any AM radio. It is a tunable loop antenna that can be connected to the radio or simply placed near the radio's ferrite rod internal antenna.

You can also build your own tunable loop antenna. The parts needed are inexpensive and readily available.

One of my receivers is an old Yaesu FRG-7 that preforms beautifully with nothing more than a simple long wire antenna stretched from the house to a tree.

One of the big problems with AM radio is electrical interference, particularly from some types of lighting. In today's world where the old incandescent light bulb is becoming a thing of the past, AM radio users have to deal with fluorescent lighting and other sources of radio "noise". Creating a clean environment free from interference is a big part of enjoying good AM radio. Sometimes finding the source of that interference is harder that correcting it. I had a LED bulb in a fixture that only created electrical noise after it had been turned on for more than 10 minutes. Once I isolated it as the source of the interference, all I had to do was turn it off.

Banned
    And I'll toss in a shameless plug for C. Crane as a source for some good radio gear.
    https://www.ccrane.com/item/rad_ccra...titaniumorphan

I've been using one of their CCRadio sets for over 20 years and it's a solid performer. C. Crane often sells "orphans" (returned equipment) for less than new and they are good people to deal with.

C. Crane also offers their excellent twin coil ferrite AM antenna is reported to be an excellent rig but it's too expensive for me.
    My homemade loop antenna or my SelectAntenna does the job for far less.

If you're into old tube gear, there are some fantastic old rigs out there. If you're just looking for a daily use AM radio and don't want to deal with vacuum tubes, there are some outstanding solid state sets available. Looking for old AM radio gear is often more fun than uing that gear ! Be careful, it's every bit as addictive as casting and reloading

Good Luck !

Moderator Emeritus

Hallicrafters S-38(original, b, c models, the d is ugly!), art deco look decent receiver paired with a hunk of wire...

Banned
    MaryB, you went right to the old Boat Anchors

I'm going to toss out a newer option, the Tivoli Model One paired with a good AM antenna. They have GREAT sound and clean lines.

The CCRadio is also a solid performer and includes weather bands and can be operated with batteries if needed.

Moderator Emeritus

Having a camp well off any "grids", I acquired a Milwaukee workman radio, which is OK for local AM/FM, but we use it mostly as an amplifier for iShuffles... HOWEVER -- (something for you to think about?) -- two nearby camp-owners have radios gotten from junk yards for next to nothing out of automobiles! The reception is like "wow!!!" -- one fellow listens to a Buffalo, NY USA station during the daytime -- roughly 300 miles distance! Using a plain-Jane auto battery charged by a solar panel, the electricity provided is pretty close to 100% noise free; he has a copper wire soldered to the tip of the car antenna he has on outside wall of camp, and it (the wire) can't be more than 10 - 12 feet long.
    Just a thought.... again, it really works so well I'm thinking of getting a car radio and doing similar come Spring 2020. I'm sorry as camps are pretty much closed -- come Thanksgiving he migrates to one of the Carolinas for the winter, so I cannot advise what model/year car (if Clark knows?) his came out of...
    BEST!
    geo

Moderator Emeritus

I have one of these coming to restore, the s-38 I mentioned above, very good receiver for the time period and it still compares fairly well now to the modern radios. Has that more rounded tube sound and that old radio smell of hot glass...

Boolit Master

I have an old Kenwood 930 that has the most wonderful audio. A friend found an old Kenwood receiver but I don't recall the model number. It was 12V, took random wire for an antenna and also has wonderful audio and 250 watts output. It is a boat anchor as far as weight goes, base station only.

My mobile unit is a Yaesu 817 with quick change antennas so I can operate on multiple frequencies at only 5 watts. The Yaesu 897 which is a mobile/base capable with an antenna tuner and 100 watts. Audio on the Yaesu radios is top shelf. I have been able to reach Portland Oregon while mobile on 5 watts, New Mexico/Texas border to CA/OR border mobile on 100 watts. FCC license W6FCV.

As far as car radios receiving AM stations, they are legendary. I had an AM radio in my truck (factory) and after sundown I would listen to the Navajo Nation Radio Station in New Mexico from Southern CA using the stock antenna. It was cool how they signed off each night in Navajo. I could also listen to Salt Lake City from Northern CA when they broadcast the World Series.

Radio is cool, there are a lot of cool radios out there for cheap at garage sales. The Kenwood receiver mentioned above was worth every bit of the $25 asking price. Real tubes, real radio, the solid state units, the better ones, match the old tubes. Nothing like an old tube unit that glows when the lights are off.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Hit up a truck stop. Lots of them still have citizen band radio shops. CB radios are AM transceivers on different frequencies. I am used to be one. Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast