WidenersTitan ReloadingPBcastcoRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Latest attempt at gift wrapped slugs

Latest attempt at gift wrapped slugs

Ok. Here goes before the range trip. 45/120 with 116.1gr (by weight) Fg 520gr .446 slug wrapped with 25 pound tracing paper to .4505 midship and .457 at base. About a quarter inch of grease cookie. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0300.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	251630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0300.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	251630

Banned

how do they chamber?

Slide in, and eject fine, all except one. There is always one. Lol when it's loaded, it grabs just enough when ejected, the lead stays in barrel.

The crimps are very light, enough so that the slugs still spin, but are impossible to pull by finger alone.

Banned

sounds interesting, good luck at the range!

Boolit Grand Master

Instead of a crimp, you might try using the sizing die to size the neck down around bullet to the tension you want. More gradual than the crimp and no sharp edges into paper like this.

Adjust the sizing die up high with out the decapper rod in it Start up around 5/8" higher than normal setting and lower to desired tension. If your die allows this it sometimes works better than the crimps do. I also use a meacham bushing die to set neck tension around the bullet. You should have plenty of lube for your load. I normally use 1/8" SPG cookie in my 45-90 with 34" barrel.

If possible chronograph your loads a good load will have single digit extreme spreads with Black Powder. My 45-90s best load is around 8 fps with tuned for powder lot number loads.

I'll try that when these get to make their thunder sir. I hadn't thought of it. On this set I'm using two lube wads cut from about a .112" pour, so close to a quarter inch of grease. It's a homebrew lube, and I think maybe a might to hard. It snaps when cut with a case mouth, and cracked when it cooled. It was about 60% crisco 35% yellow beeswax and a few drops of soap. It's a bit of a noisy you, but I wouldn't mind getting it to minute of whitetail and bring one home

Boolit Grand Master

Here is the recipe for emmerts and emmerts improved. Very good lubes and work very well for me.
    Emmerts
    Beeswax 50%
    Unsalted Crisco 40%
    canola or olive oil 10%

Emmerts improved
    50% beeswax
    40% unsalted Crisco
    5% canola or olive oil
    5% anhydrous lanolin

To both these I also add a small amount of murphies oil soap as an emulsifier to help ingredients blend. I put a drop on side of butter knife about 1" from tip and let run off what remains is used. This is a softer lube and cookies can be rolled pressed or poured from it.

The other thing I do with PP bullets is before loading I very lightly wipe the paper wrap with Jojoba oil. A drop worked onto thumb and forefinger wipe 3-4 bullets and then wipe excess off the patch with a soft cloth you wont see a big change but just a sheen on the paper. This is a very light coat and seems to help toughen the paper some also a light water proofing against humidity.

Banned

Gato Feo #1 - my fave for greasers and muzzy patches

by weight, double boiler melted ...

1 part mutton tallow (dixie gun works)
    1 part paraffin canning wax (gulf)
    1/2 part filtered beeswax