RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first 357 deer

I am loading lyman’s 358430 195 grain for my 1894C at about 1100 FPS (38 special load with 2400 from lyman’s 45th edition) that is water dropped and wonderfully accurate in my micro groove marlin. I know I can increase the velocity to what would be a reduced velocity 35 Remington load with a 357 case. That blunt round nose I feel would smack like a SWC. Maybe someone else would chime in on how effective it is on deer in either caliber. I of course would not expect any expansion since water quenched.

Boolit Master

I wouldnt choose a RN hard bullet for use on big game. No it wont “smack” like a swc will.

Cheapest was in is actually a darn fine bullet. Its a LEE 358-158. 20$ /25$ and you have a two cav.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I’ve said and agree shot placement first. Deer not running is a simple solution that is CNS placement. But more reliable is the heart shot deer do not travel far. Tracking is more than just blood trailing it’s “tracking”. Heart shot is distinct reaction and any boolit will work. A good WFN and 25-75 yard death sprint is no big deal. Great job on harvesting that deer a good shot a good caliber and you have meat.

Here is an example my son shot a little fork horn Saturday from tree stand he was shooting a 139 grain Hornady bullet in a 7x57 and the deer was 75 yards he took off the top of the heart and wreaked havoc with the lungs, the bullet exited with a good size hole. Open hardwoods so he saw the deer go down it still ran with no plumbing from the heart left 40 yards and piled up. Now when he hit that deer it dropped jumped back up and did the sprint. When hit hit the ground after the dash it was lights out. Be realistic a 50 yard death dash is not unusual anyone who has shot an elk will tell the death dash can be much longer. Anyone who has shot a number of deer with a variety of weapons will tell you they just react differently but even without a heart can still get 50 yards on the blood in the their plumbing. No big deal keep shooting well and don’t over think this. Tinker if you must but just make sure of accuracy and hitting where you are supposed to.

Boolit Master

I concur with you on the death dash from a heart shot- seen it a lot. That's what this one did. I agree that the times they drop like a rock, the CNS has been shocked- that can even be done with a high shoulder shot as the spine passes behind the shoulder blades. And of course I'm gonna tinker- I can't help it!

Just never know what they are going to do when hit. I shot a nice 10pt this year with a 300win mag 178 eldx @2950. Took off the top of the heart, 3/4ish exit, tracking was easy as we had snow, but not alot of blood. The sucker still ran 100+y. I actually got worried about 90y in and went back to the hit sight and looked at the hair to confirm the shot placement was ok, and give him time to die if it wasn't. After a thermos of coffee I cut the trail and found him another 30y past where I broke off. Just wasn't ready to die yet, no matter what I hit him with.

I know 300wm is way overkill for white tail, but it is so darned accurate it is hard to leave at home.

Boolit Buddy

Congratulations on the deer and the recovery. Last weekend I shot my first buck with a handgun using a Contender 44mag with a NOE 430-265 HP. Then yesterday I shot a doe with a Taylor Bros mini Sharps in 38-55 using a NOE 379-235 WFN. Both these deer went 50 yards and dropped with out a drop of blood to follow. The alloy I was using was hard (95% lead 5% antimony ) so I have some experimenting to do over the summer to get a better performing alloy mix. But this experience did not detour me from using cast boolits. I'm hooked.

Boolit Master

I ordered a 4 cav 180gr mold from Accurate. It looks to be close to the cast performance 180 wfn in profile, meplat etc. Figured for just a little more money, might as well get a 4 hole. I'll try'em softer.

Boolit Man

T-Bird,

Like you, I'd be concerned about the lack of a blood trail, no matter how quick the kill. A deer down in heavy brush can be hell to find without the red juice to point the way.

I presume you'll be pouring a somewhat softer alloy into that new Accurate mold. Let us know how things go. I'd be interested to know if a softer bullet produces a better blood-trail.

Happy trails, and keep 'em pointin' straight,

-- Cary Gunn --

Boolit Master

that's the idea anyway Cary

Boolit Master

Got my mold today. I chose the 36-180UG. Sho is purdy! Not near the 3 weeks they said it would take to get here. Now the fun starts.

Boolit Master

first trip to the range, looked good in the accuracy dept (real good). Will try another trip to be sure the results are repeatable. Then I'll report.

Boolit Master

Went back today. Loaded the Accurate boolit with 13.5 gr H110 mag primer 1.58 oal case trimmed to 1.28. I used Hi-tec coating. Shot 5 into 1in at 50yds. I didn't know I was that good. It's amazing how much better you are when you find a load that really works!

Awesome work! Must feel real good....watch out deer!

Boolit Master

You Betcha! (In my best northern plains accent)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12