Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first 357 deer

Boolit Master

first 357 deer

bought a Remlin 1894C last year intending to use it for deer on the high side and cans on the low side. Got a good 1400fps Lee 358158 load for everything but deer and bought some Cast performance 180 wfngc for deer. I push them with 13 gr H110 for 1550ish fps. I didn't buy a 180 gr mold because I don't anticipate shooting many 180 gr boolits, so I figured a box of 100 would last a while after I got a load worked up. I was able to collect a large doe Tues afternoon at about 65 yds shooting from a ground blind. I waited till she was full broadside so I could get good shot placement. There were thick planted pines close by that she was probably gonna run into and I didn't want a long tracking job in that environment if I could avoid it.I hit her right in the boiler room and got complete penetration. She ran about 50 yds and piled up dead after a run that lasted about 3 seconds. The exit hole was caliber size as I feared it would be. These boolits are heat treated. Blood leakage was minimal in fact, I never found a drop, but the boolit killed well and fast. I have mixed emotions about this. The boolit performed very well in the killing dept, but I really like a blood trail. They don't always fall in 50 yds even when well hit and had she run much farther she would have been hard to recover. I may break down and buy a mold for a similar boolit and cast my own out of softer alloy, I'll ponder it.

Boolit Master

Love it when a plan comes together! Great work; and yes in my experience most commercial “hard cast” don’t expand most of the time and caliber in and out sized holes don’t leak much if at all; hollow point molds from Miha and other makers have changed my hunting game, or cast your own wide flat nose and play with alloy till you find what works at your speeds from your rifle- no blood trail can be a problem but you still recovered your deer; also when I hunt in a nasty pine/ cedar swamp north of home I like the anchor shot and try and break both both front shoulders- has worked well on northern MI black bear- as they tend not to bleed much anyhow and tracking a wounded one can get -spicy !

Boolit Master

I have used same ir simular bullets with exact same results. I also bought a mold.

But last spring a friend on here was looking for 348 bullets to try before buying a mold and came across GT Bullets. They offer as cast bullets and they have a large selection. They just started to offer different hardnesses. IIRC they advertise most @ 12BHN

But we discovered a 165 & 185 HP with a wfn profile. Esp the 185. He shot them into his wet magazine bullet box are varying velocities and at 50 yards. He discovered that the magic number was 1250/1300 fps impact vel. Now this media is tougher then an animal Would be. How much so is the question but sufi e to say a couple Hundred fos should t be a issue. SO armed with that a 165g @ 1650 and a 185@ 1450 are excellent candidates!

I have the 165’s powder coated and sized to .360 in my 8” Cold recolver now waiting on an opportunity. They clock almost 1400 fps and shoot 2/3” @ 50 off hand me shooting.

Give them a look before ya go with a mold.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 11-22-2019 at 01:39 PM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Congratulations on a good hunt and good shot. Yep, I own several molds for low volume use due to every commercial bullet being “hard”. Now some makers are offering softer bullets. I would still look at getting a mold, then you are fully in control and will never run out of your chosen bullet.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I keep reading posts from this years hunting season of everyone saying there not getting a blood trail, some kind of epidemic going on, deer must be evolving for extra clotting factor or something lol

Look around at the different commercial bullet casters with boolits for sale. Some offer softer boolits, 10 to 12 BHN, some are pretty hard at 22 BHN. There are a lot of company's.

Most Straight across hits from ground level require the body cavity to fill to the wound before it bleeds. When I hunt from the ground with cast bullets I try to break them down with a shoulder shot. My alloy and bullets have also evolved with each season. They have gotten softer and wider. Lung shot deer can travel a pretty good distance with a caliber sized .358 .430 hole thru and thru.
    I shot a nice sized doe this season with my .44 mag revolver thru both shoulders at 30 yards 1,350 muzzle velocity 16/1 alloy. She went 35-40 yards plowing the ground with her nose.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I have no doubt that the thorax filled with blood as I did have side to side penetration about half way up to the spine, but I think a larger exit would have bled more to the outside. I've killed several deer like that in the last few years with other rifles and my own cast. I wanted to use this gun because it's so handy and I've been told how effective the 357 can be for deer and what I've read is right. As I'm older, I like being in a blind- it's hard to fall out of. A quarter sized exit tends to leak- usually a lot. this hole was caliber sized. In all honesty though, I've never had a faster kill with any other gun that the shot didn't hit near the CNS and drop them where they stand.

Boolit Master
    I've killed somewhere over sixty deer with .357mag/max bullets to date. Most never made it past fifty yards. Also, most hit through the lungs at mid-level didn't bleed a whole lot. I have yet to lose even one deer shot with that caliber. I've shot three already this year and all dropped within that fifty yard zone and were very easy to find. I can't see any need to shoot the shoulders and lose the meat. I've been using handguns for over forty years and recently gotten a couple of mag and max rifles to use also. The results are about the same with either. Very effective on deer sized game.

Boolit Master
    I would guess two or three boxes of “custom” bullets would pay for a mold? I imagine NOE will be having a couple of sales between now and the first of the year.

Get your own mold and run with an alloy you mix up. That is pretty much what I did with my Marlin. For some reason mine will shoot the silly little Lee truncates nose 120. An it shoots two WFN designs for the Marlin from group buys years back. Anything in between is terribe for some reason.

Mine left about nickel size exit holes. Shots were from 50-180 yards never recovered a bullet.

Nice job.
    My brothers rifle shoots the Lee RF. Comes out about 165gr and shoots good at 1800fps in his rifle. BHN16
    He shot a quartering away running doe at about 50yds and she went about 40 more yds. Complete pass thru.
    By far and away the worst blood shot animal I've ever seen when it was skinned. The entire side and shoulder was red jelly.
    Last edited by reloader28; 11-23-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    O' so many good choices available. Mostly, they all work and your preferences certainly guide your choices. I have a fondness for the 358627. Cast softer with my alloy, they generally come in at around 215 grains and has been a great hunter. Works super in my 6" Blackhawk, and pretty good in a .357 max single shot rifle.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25289B9D-9989-47BE-8063-8CAF38E1CFB3.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	251680

I like those long 627’s too!! They do shoot well in my Maxi!

Boolit Master

I appreciate all the info guys. I was looking at Accurate molds site, they have a 180 gr gc design that looks good it's called a 36 180UG looks like a suitable replacement for the Cast Performance 180 boolit. As I said, that boolit worked well and killed rapidly but I would like some expansion (plus I really like making my own). Seeing the way this cal worked at the distances I usually kill deer, I'm wondering why I don't just sell all my other guns! But I guess we all know the answer to that!
    Last edited by T-Bird; 12-11-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Boolit Master

Reloader 28 does your brother shoot the Lee 158 RF w/o gc at 1800 fps?

Boolit Master

If properly powder coated. A GC isnt required at hand gun attainable velocities.

CW

T-Bird I'm not a fan of bevel base so I cut that out of the mold with a knife for a plain base and I put a plain base gas check on it.
    It has a bit of a big chamber and that was before I got a .360 die. Have not tested it since but I'm guessing at that speed its still needed, I dont know.
    Its a pretty good thumper of a load though

Boolit Master
    But smile! The deer was dead with one shot and
    you found it easily......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

No real sure outcome on how a deer will react when shot. The next deer you shoot in that same spot will react differently. Stories of deer shot with a 22-250 55 grain dropping in their tracks and a 150 grain 30-06 shot deer that runs almost 100 yards before dropping. 24-27 caliber jacketed bullets are performing well when they expand to 35 caliber of which you started out leaving the barrel. I know this may not be popular on a cast bullet site but the easy way to produce soft expanding ammunition that would not lead your barrel at the velocity you desire is a jacketed soft or hollow point.

Boolit Master

smkummer, I agree with your statement concerning the variablity of results with different animals. I began hunting deer in 1970 and have experienced it all. I've killed lot of deer with 44/45 cal semi wadcutter style boolits and I got good blood usually with those. I get good blood with my 35 Rem and the RCBS 35-200gr fp. I shoot it about 1750fps and use my coww alloy. I think I can do that with 357. And Tom W - I did smile!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast