WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well....I'm glad I don't have to do THAT for another ten years.....

Well....I'm glad I don't have to do THAT for another ten years.....

Had the great pleasure of my first colonoscopy today. Good news.....pipes are clean and functional. BEST news...I don't have to do that again for awhile. I know I'm preaching to the choir here....but good lord, that's an unpleasant experience!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Just think about the poor people working on you!

Kidding aside its the prep thats truly no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Just think about the poor people working on you!

Kidding aside its the prep thats truly no fun.
    Understatement of the decade..... WOW. Didn't know any of that was humanly possible.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Be thankful that you didn't have to go thru that back in the 80's and 90's. I've had at least 6 and I'm facing another one next year. At least now I'm down to every 5 years. My dad passed away 37 years ago from colon cancer. That plus finding polyps occasionally, has had me going back. I'm expecting them to tell me I'm too old after this next one.
    John
    W.TN

Now you know how Kermit the frog feels all day-every day.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I think that Foxworthy's story is one of the best.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...934B&FORM=VIRE
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Banned

Well....I'm glad I don't have to do THAT for another ten years.....

I am opting out of those procedures.
    If anything serious is wrong with your body, they’ll find it with a blood screen.
    R/Griff

The procedure itself is a non-issue to me, I've slept through both of them. But the PREP stuff is AWFUL!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    I am opting out of those procedures.
    If anything serious is wrong with your body, they’ll find it with a blood screen.
    R/Griff
    Not true for colon cancer. If you opt out of the colonoscopy, get the DNA stool testing at least. Blood work won’t detect a lot of cancers.

For all you smokers out there, there is recommendation of low dose CT Lung Scan screening guideline suggestions now too. Most PCPs aren’t aware but it’s been out for several years now. Get screened guys. Don’t ignore your body. Dad ignored his chest pains (and my pleadings to go to the ER) and died of a massive MI at 57.

Boolit Grand Master

My Mom had colon cancer when I was very young so they considered me at risk and had me start doing them much sooner than normal. I really don't find them that bad, you're just tied to the bathroom for 6 or 8 hours. I'm scheduled for my next one next year. I ask them to order the jug of stuff that taste like Gatorade and its not too bad.

Moderator Emeritus

I pushed mine of till 51. Ended up having that and a vasectomy within two weeks of each other along with my 51st birthday. They got me coming and going. Luckily I don't need to go back for 10 years. Bad news is that is in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    My Mom had colon cancer when I was very young so they considered me at risk and had me start doing them much sooner than normal. I really don't find them that bad, you're just tied to the bathroom for 6 or 8 hours. I'm scheduled for my next one next year. I ask them to order the jug of stuff that taste like Gatorade and its not too bad.
    The stuff they gave me was called Suprep, I think. It's a split dose...one at 6pm the night before and another in the morning, 5 hrs. before the procedure. I'm not going to lie....it's fast acting and somewhat violent, but it was done and over for me in about 2.5 hrs. for each dose. I was able to sleep throughout the night after the first dose, which was nice.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Colonoscopy...not my favorite topic.
    Had two so far... One in 2016 while in the hospital awaiting my first chemotherapy treatment for Burkitt's- like lymphoma. Second a couple of months ago. Both came up with a couple of non cancerous polyps...next one in 5 years.
    I hate the prep but it's a necessity to avoid dying from colon cancer.
    Having been declared terminal with other cancers twice and surviving three total bouts with cancer, I have no intention of succumbing to a preventable cancer if I can avoid it.

Boolit Master
    Yeh the thing They don’t tell you about the Colo guard test is that any microscopic traces of blood in your stool will give you a positive result . So if you have hemorrhoids you’re probably going to wind up with a positive result . Ask me how I know.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

I had my first one a year ago. I didn't find anything that objectionable or hard.

My mother had colon cancer, so I guess I'll be doing it every 5 years or so. The colonoscopy sure beats what she went through.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I ask them to order the jug of stuff that taste like Gatorade and its not too bad.
    I had it done last year and they encouraged the 'purge' with the instruction sheet from one of the big name famous hospitals-

It's basically Miralax from the grocery store and Gatorade.
    Done like they say, it really cleans your pipes,
    and doesn't have a flavor that redefines the word 'nasty'.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-22-2019 at 04:18 PM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

My wife had to have one a couple of years ago and that was the same stuff she used. Hope my next one is as easy.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Get checked. I had a few when I was about 50, and nothing showed. Then I started having problems a few years after I married Lori. I'd just pass out at work, grateful that some big guys would catch me before my head hit the concrete.

Finally a female German resident doctor told me that something was wrong and she was going to find out.
    The doctor that did the colonoscopy said that he found something, but wouldn't say what. When I got back to my room there was a doctor there that I had never seen before. I said hello and asked what was going on, as he had a lab coat that said "oncology" on it. He snapped at me and said he was going to ask the questions. I politely told him to take a hike, as I was paying the bill and was not going to be treated as a child.
    They sent me another doctor who was a lot more personable. He also took out most of my colon.
    A year later the same guy that gave me my last colonoscopy gave me another. He said that he couldn't see anything on the inside but noticed bumps on the outside, and said that there was nothing more that could be done for me.
    My buddy called me and mentioned the Cancer Treatment Centers of America, and there is one in Newnan, about 85 miles away. So I called. They said that if I didn't have lung cancer they could do something, but if I had lung cancer, well, get my affairs in order.
    The biopsy showed no lung cancer so they'd prep me and whatever. The prep took about two months, but most of it was here at the house.
    The day the president was inaugurated was when my surgery was done.
    They took out a bit more large and small intestine, and then that was really it, they couldn't take out anymore.
    Other than almost dying from internal bleeding I did pretty well, except when I told the nurse that I felt bad. He said that after what I just went through I should feel bad. I said no, I feel bad, turned my head and puked blood clear across the room and onto the wall. So they had to cauterize my stomach.
    A power port was put into my left shoulder, as I insisted because if I lived I'd like to shoot a rifle again.
    Then the chemo....We were offered a deal if I would take experimental chemo, the hospital would not charge for it and would pay my BC/ BS payments.
    I asked if the chemo would ( hopefully) make me bald, but no such luck.
    I'm still kicking, although not as high as I used to. And get tired pretty fast, as well as having a side effect from not having enough innards to digest the food properly. But the only meds I'm taking are something to slow the green apple quick step, and my epelepsy meds.
    All the preceding babbling to saw this.....
    Let the guy shove the camera up in the nether area. It will give you a whole new meaning of the term UP YOURS !
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

[QUOTE=Tom. He snapped at me and said he was going to ask the questions. I politely told him to take a hike, ![/QUOTE]

I don't do well at being treated like that either.

The wife & I have had to fire a few each of doctors, dentists, and even vets. over the years.

I've learned they are basically mechanics for people.
    Like the mechanic that works on your car- if you have problems with one, there's more in the phone book.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-22-2019 at 05:39 PM.

EVERYONE!

I've had 2, the last one had polyps so now they want to run one every 5 years. That's OK, I made a promise to the best man I ever knew (my Dad) as he was on his deathbed with colon cancer. He told me and my brothers, "promise me one thing boys, that you kids will get colonoscopies. Might save you a lot of bother later on".
    Besides, I had a procedure to reduce my prostate last year and that was a LOT more and a Lot longer PAIN. Puts a colonoscopy right in there with a flu shot, bother for a day, and done.
    And there are those who would gladly trade their health issues for a prostrate reduction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast