MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: WTS: .30-30 Lever Action Carbine, Western Field Model 72

WTS: .30-30 Lever Action Carbine, Western Field Model 72

This is a Mossberg-made carbine, manufactured for Montgomery Ward. Western Field was MW's trade name in hunting gear and guns. It corresponds approximately to the Mossberg M 472 and dates from the 1970’s.

Looks much like a Marlin 336 and has side-port ejection that allows for mounting of a scope on top of the receiver. Factory drilled and tapped for conventional Weaver 2-piece mounts.

Trigger in the lever. Bolt removal for cleaning is same as for a Marlin 336, except a drift pin instead of a screw serves as the lever pivot.

Overall exterior condition is good. Outstanding walnut stocks with much figure. Butt stock lacks the rear sling swivel and swivel stud. Bluing shows some signs of wear.

Was set up for a scope and has no front sight. Carries a factory original rubber butt plate, which avoids the problem that many Marlin's had of cracking when set down hard.

In spite of roughness in the bore near the muzzle, this carbine has shot some surprisingly good groups, both with jacketed and cast. The best jacketed loads will group 4 shots into an inch at 50 yds. A few cast loads have done almost that well, but one inch at 25 yds is more typical of the better loads. Occasionally 3-4 shots well go well under an inch at that range.

The best cast bullets I’ve found for this gun have been the old Lyman 311466 (Loverin design), Lee Harris C 312-160-2R, and NOE’s 311-118-RF (their version of the Lee soup can). The standard 150-grain .30-30 flat nose designs have shot well on a few occasions, but not consistently. Any nose-rider will probably need to be oversize, as the bore measures.301-.3015 (from a soft lead ball pounded 9” down from the breech, then pushed back out). Eight-groove Ballard-style rifling.

Price: $295 shipped to your FFL. I’ll need a signed copy of your FFL’s paper. Please ask questions or request additional photos if you’re interested. I’d rather not have you ship it back. Payment by US Postal Money Order.

If you happen to be in Michigan and want to deal FTF 80 miles north of Bay City, that’s fine with me.

No California sales.

Attachment 251595Attachment 251596Attachment 251597Attachment 251598Attachment 251599Attachment 251600Attachment 251601
    Last edited by PBSmith; 12-06-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Boolit Master
    question
    is the front tapped for a sight?
    PM sent

Banned

Did these have conventional rifleing or did they do "Micro Groove" like Marlins?

too many things:

Yes, front of barrel is drilled and tapped for a single 8x32 screw. Presently the hole is plugged. I don't have the original front sight. At one point I wanted to try open sights and used a 1/2" machine screw as a post. It worked fine and will be included in the sale.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 11-22-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Did these have conventional rifleing or did they do "Micro Groove" like Marlins?
    Eight grooves. In the ad I call it "Ballard-type." though it's not as deep as the rifling in the older, pre-microgroove Marlins.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 11-22-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have had 2 of these, not made by Marlin, but by Mossberg for Western Auto chain stores. There are no hammer screws and such where Marlins have always had them. Pretty good guns, or the ones I had were, but your wood is drop dead nice. These are kind of rare.

No receiver screws. Everything goes together with pins. Makes life easier. Only screws are two on what Mossberg calls the "Sub Frame."

I should have mentioned that I have the Assembly/Disassembly instructions from Gun Digest. Will include copy with sale.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 11-24-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Banned

What is the lever on the left side of the receiver just forward of the hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    What is the lever on the left side of the receiver just forward of the hammer?
    Safety.

Bump = still available

Jack First has the front sight ramp/beaded post front sight at $14.

https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopi...30-lever-rifle

Havlin also, but at $18

https://www.havlinsales.com/default.htm

Someone jump on this great gun! I've run out of safe room. garrisonjoe
    Last edited by garrisonjoe; 12-02-2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add Havlin reference

pm sent
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne