Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Older Die Sets

Boolit Master

Older Die Sets

I bought a couple of older RCBS die sets from a seller on this board. I didn't realize how old but should have based on price. It didn't matter since I wanted them for the steel sizers and it got me an extra crimp die.

My question is: does anyone know approximately when RCBS and possibly other die makers combined the sizing and decapping, and added the mouth expanding function to the 2nd die? I'm not sure that I stated that correctly but hope I expressed what I would like to know.

These particular die sets have the decapping and expanding function in an aluminum body die. Also not a problem for me. I've been thinking about a custom revolver in .357 magnum and I prefer the steel size die, at least for my .44 and .45 custom revolvers.

I've only mentioned RCBS dies but I also have a Pacific die set that is similar in its operation sequence. I didn't think to check if one of the die bodies was aluminum. The lock rings are also aluminum on both older sets. If that gets to be a problem, I can always replace them.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure the exact year but I believe it was in the middle to late 60s. I have a 1967 rcbs die set in 38spl that is the old style and a 1966 rcbs in 32 S&W long that is new style so I suppose the transition took at least a couple of years. I have a 45acp die set that is old style but I can't find it at the moment. Both the older ones have the aluminum bodies on the #2 die. I bought both of these sets new and am still using them and neither have given any trouble. Nothing wrong with them except they won't work in some progressive presses.
    Last edited by rbuck351; 11-21-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Boolit Master

Thanks! I have to say that to be that old, these die sets are in very good shape. It sounds as if new style was phased in as old style were sold.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I’m away from the reloading room, but I think I have older style RCBS dies dated from 1980.

Boolit Buddy
    All of my RCBS die have the year of manufacture stamped on the top

Boolit Master

What Bushrat said.
    I have some marked in the 60s.....dale