Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend a new 9mm mold

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagamor View Post
    I have a few 9 mm MP molds with hollow points and they are great, but making them work in all my pistols got to be a pain. I don’t like going “off book” with boiling recipes.
    I don’t have as much experience as some of the folks on this board and I like to err on the conservative side.
    That being said I recently bought Accurate’s 35-135Z mold. Has the bevel base and no lube grooves. Some people don’t like the bevel base, but I’m really liking it.
    Always hated scraping the side of a bullet and it never happens with the bevel base mold.

Looking into this one a little more. The only thing I didnt like was the 135 weight, im leaning more towards 120-125 range. I got to looking at the accurate catalog and found the choices there are near endless. The 35-125H is a nlg, tc bevel base and the 35-125PZ is a RN version. Im thinking one of those would fit my application. Any reason one would be better than the other or are both good/ bad? With all the options Im assuming they are made to order. Is there a long lead time when ordering from them?

Banned
    356-125-2r gives me a 7/8" group over a light charge of BE

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    356-125-2r gives me a 7/8" group over a light charge of BE
    You know that you and I are like the only two people on this board that actually *like* that mold, right GRMPS?

I've worked through nearly a full ton of lead, throwing it out of that mold six boolits at a time, for the last four years. I'm feeding it through three 9mm's now, as my son picked up his second 9mm for his 18th birthday last month. All three of 'em eat that boolit like candy, and are darn accurate while doing it.

I'm not saying that there aren't other fine 9mm molds, as there sure as heck are; I'm drooling over several of them right now. But that much maligned Lee boolit is well loved in my house.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    You know that you and I are like the only two people on this board that actually *like* that mold, right GRMPS?

I've worked through nearly a full ton of lead, throwing it out of that mold six boolits at a time, for the last four years. I'm feeding it through three 9mm's now, as my son picked up his second 9mm for his 18th birthday last month. All three of 'em eat that boolit like candy, and are darn accurate while doing it.

I'm not saying that there aren't other fine 9mm molds, as there sure as heck are; I'm drooling over several of them right now. But that much maligned Lee boolit is well loved in my house.
    I used to use it for my 9. Worked fine. But lead is cheaper than powder. I use those in .380 now and Lee 358-150-1R in my 9.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have a bunch of .356 120gr TC that shoot well. I would like to cast my own and am having trouble finding a 120-TC mold that doesn't have lube grooves.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

S

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
    I have a bunch of .356 120gr TC that shoot well. I would like to cast my own and am having trouble finding a 120-TC mold that doesn't have lube grooves.

Thanks.

S
    Why not just use the mold with regular lube grove ?

Boolit Master

I love the Lyman 147 gr RNFP bullet. I run it is 9 different handguns ranging from a 1943 P-38, to modern Glocks. It is a excellent bullet that all 9MM's seem to like. Runs great in my sub gun as well.

Boolit Master

Thanks.

S
    Look at Accurate molds. The options there are numerous. Very reasonable prices. Around $110 for 3 cavities. They come in 1-2-3-and 4 cavity.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks.

S
    I purchased cast 120 TC's and am really liking them and would like to duplicate them for my first casting attempt.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashby View Post
    New to casting, my only mold is a 358-110 swc Lee. (Edit:its 105 gr)I want to make some boolits that function and shoot well. Just shooting paper and steel, might get into some sort of steel competition. I will be powder coating so lube groove is optional. I was looking at the group buy thread for an MP 359-135 and those look promising, but I don't know how long the wait will be... Months maybe? My barrel slugs at .3555.
    Have you tried the 115 gr from RCBS. I use it in both my 9mm and my 380.

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee 120 works very well. I also like their 95 grain mold. I seem to shoot more 95’s than any other weight I guess because it makes my lead go further and works very well in all my 9’s. I’ve used Accurate and NOE molds and they work well but I prefer the Lee style molds with a sprue cutting handle instead of whacking a lever to cut the sprue. MP uses the Lee style sprue cutter as well and they make great molds too. I just finished cast 20K MP NLG 95’s and that’s a great boolit too. They actually drop at 103 grains and .359” but easily size down to .357”.

Boolit Master
    I use a saeco #924. It's a GC and can be run pretty hot. Works really well in my 357 Sig. and my G19.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks.

S
    I picked up this 5 Cavity from Arsenal. Good quality mold. I get an easy 2”-2.5” group at 25 yards from my Canik. I’ve shot thousands of them and it’s my go-to for that gun.

http://arsenalmolds.com/products?pro...=150&limit=100

Boolit Buddy
    I'll add another vote for the Lyman 356402.

[IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Master

Wow, great thread! I started casting for 9mm using the Lee 356-125 2R for my first pistol, a S&W 459. The boolit dropped at .358 and shot great pan lubed and unsized. I later bought a Lyman 450 and a .358 die. Then I bought a .357 and the 125s shot fine. Then I started collecting other molds to try, mostly Lee because of the price and they cast good boolits.

356-102 1R because I had a .380 ACP but it shot well through the 9mm. It also cast at .358. I bought the 358-105 SWC to try it in the .380 and 9mm, but also in my.357 revolver. Mostly, I cast the 125 2R because it shot so well in everything. I would cast 2k boolits+ a week, trading some for powder and primers from my shooting/reloading buddies. I taught more than a few how to cast and load.

30+ years later, my first mold has cast an honest 750k boolits. I tried the 356-120 TC and the 358-125 RF which load and shoot well in my pistols and revolvers. I built an AR 15 for 9mm and it prefers the 102 or 125 RN boolits as the feed ramps beat the crap out of the nose. Powder coating helped. The 102 1R shoots well, saves lead, but I still prefer the 125 2R. Heck, I have had to rebuild it twice, mostly re-tapping for a new sprue plate screw. I am considering a heavier boolit, say 145-150 grains, but my EDCs carry factory (except my Glock 40 S&Ws)

Shoot what works for you, more importantly, your gun(s). Everyone has an opinion and a preference. I like what works in many guns and they are generally powder coated black. Well, my nephew did like shooting the zombie green ones. I did make him shoot some Barbie Pink and Barney Purple. He couldn't complain, he didn't buy the ammo components.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    I am starting the process of looking for a good 9mm mold so this thread is timely for me
    I am down to two different 9s and both are CZ's. They have a history of being a bit finicky. Does anyone out there have experience loading a cast bullet for a CZ? TIA

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    CJN Casting - use them in my 9mm
    * Excellent casts
    * Chamber great
    http://www.cjncasting.com/index.php?...ory&path=59_61
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    CJN Casting - use them in my 9mm
    * Excellent casts
    * Excellent price
    * Chamber great