Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: 7mm-08 and RCBS 28-168FN, poor mid velocity accuracy

Boolit Bub

7mm-08 and RCBS 28-168FN, poor mid velocity accuracy

I’m really having a heck of a time with my M70 Winchester 7mm-08 with a 9.5” twist. Have been playing with the RCBS 28-168FN cast of Lyman #2 sized to .285”, lubed with X Lox 2500 Plus and seated at the lands. It shoots very well with low velocity (1300 fps) loads, as in less than 1” for 5 shots at 100 yds with 9 gr. Unique. I’ve tried 2400, 5744, 4198 and RL7 all with the same results. When the velocity gets any past 1400 fps, it all turns to used food. Group size increases to 4” and up. I have also noted that the boolits are tailing or leaving slightly oblong holes in the target. What I really wanna do is accurately shoot this bullet at 1800 fps or maybe a little more. So what am I missing here? Is this a bullet quality problem? If so, where?
    Hopelessly afflicted with a life long addiction to the rifled bore!

Two things always make me smile, powder smoke wafting down the firing line and the ring of a Garand clip hitting the ground.

Boolit Bub
    I spent considerable time spinning my wheels with my 7-08 and finally found success with RCBS 7-168, I am water quenching the bullets for hardness and loading them with 24 grs. of H-4895. My intent is to use them in our 200 yd. matches have only tested out to 100yds but the grouping was really impressive. I am hoping to get some 200 yd range time to see if this load will hold up.

Boolit Master
    From what I can tell of the bullet shape it seems it would do best when seated into the rifling. But, I have had best luck with bore riding bullet shapes in my .30 cal cartridges. The 7-168 would be my choice.

My 7-08 Striker pistol like 30gr. Of IMR 3031 under a 160 Lyman Sil. boolit. Sub MOA and good to 200 meters on IHMSA rams.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by N21911S View Post
    I’m really having a heck of a time with my M70 Winchester 7mm-08 with a 9.5” twist. Have been playing with the RCBS 28-168FN cast of Lyman #2 sized to .285”, lubed with X Lox 2500 Plus and seated at the lands. It shoots very well with low velocity (1300 fps) loads, as in less than 1” for 5 shots at 100 yds with 9 gr. Unique. I’ve tried 2400, 5744, 4198 and RL7 all with the same results
    Try some slower powders, starting with (safe) loads just below your previous highest accurate velocity, and working up in very small increments.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.