MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard crud in bottom of me Lee pot

Boolit Master
    OK some great ideas from you guys. But the nozzle is clogged also. When I,m casting I have been using a paper clip to
    unclog the nozzle from time to time. I tried using a propane torch to heat it up & the paper clip. No go it maybe clogged
    in the top where the hole intersects at a angle with the bottom hole. The paper clip is .039 dia. I ran a .040 number drill
    up from the bottom & I think it is ok now with that hole. I don,t know if I have room in the pot to get in the top hole at
    the angle have not tried that yet.If any of you have a trick to getting to it I would love to hear your advice. I have a new
    pot coming tomorrow. I still would like to get this working. If I can,t get the spout unplugged I will just use it as is & use
    a dipper.

Fly

Boolit Master
    I think you are doing it the same way I have when mine clogged , if you have not remove the rod that closes the hole it might help .I have also carefully used a propane torch on the inside while poking through from the bottom
    I have found when I finish casting to empty the pot into my ingot mold by poring over the top and not run through the spout I have not had it clog since.
    Hang in there you will get her cleared .

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Do you *GASP* cast with a ladle? Nice to know I ain't the only one marching to my own drummer out there. ...Roger Dat

I do that as well, Roger AND I use Marvelux (with no problems whatsoever). I guess I'm on the fast track to perdition! (LOL)
    Well nice thing about perdition is plenty of heat for casting, heat treating or PC baking! And I have lived with a couple of cats I would be pretty sure to meet there for a reunion. Would miss the dogs however.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus

Relax fellas.
    I meant no disrespect to users of Marvelux. While I won't use Marvelux for a bottom pour, I understand it to work well for ladle casting, as a few of you fellas have attested to.

Why I asked if the OP used Marvelux:
    I had to clean up a Lee pot that had deposits that were "very hard and shiney", just like the OP mentioned. It turned out that the previous owner used Marvelux, and likely used more than needed...which when that happens, I've learned that a buildup of very hard and shiney deposits occur.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    Why do guys, in particular, think they know move than the manufacturer does I see it a lot with yard chemicals, additives, powder loads, powder coating bake time, .....

More, bigger, longer, faster isn't always better.

I ran into some dental lead that really messed up the pot and ruined a mold. don't know what was in it. took a lot of wire brushing to save the pot.

Boolit Master
    I use a Sunday spoon in my 10 Lee pot to scape the junk out .only emptied it once when it really cloged up,polished the rod and spigot up with solvol autosol polish been fine since .been using it for 20 years so I can't complain .

Boolit Mold
    I flux with plain old rosin and scrape the pot with a modified putty knife. That seems to loosen up the crud and bring it to the top. I'm using a Lee bottom pour now since my old plain pot crapped out after untold years. I don't see it as all that much of an improvement to be honest. The rod is in the way of a ladel unless the pot is nearly full, so pouring from the bottom is pretty much required. It does drip a bit but clogging is rare. I've found that taking a screwdriver and turning the rod back and forth while applying a bit of pressure usually clears the spigot for me. Obviously, the pot has to be at casting temp when you do this.

Boolit Master
    OK I got my new pot in today. Lee has made an improvement to there new pots that is long over dew. The weak part in there pots have been the spouts.
    They come with a machine steel spout now. It looks to be removable. It has a hex head on the inside of the spout were you can unscrew it with a socket.
    Been watching football today, so tomorrow I,m going to try & open the clogged spout on the ole pot.

Fly

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Valornor View Post
    I’d warm up the pot, I suspect there’s lead mixed with dross that is stuck to the bottom of the pot. Warm it up and use a old spoon to break it loose then scoop it out.

A picture would be helpful, I have cleaned the pot a few times, never had anything of note.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com
    I just cleaned mine about two weeks ago and I used this method. It all came loose real easy.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Do you *GASP* cast with a ladle? Nice to know I ain't the only one marching to my own drummer out there. ...Roger Dat

I do that as well, Roger AND I use Marvelux (with no problems whatsoever). I guess I'm on the fast track to perdition! (LOL)
    The three of us can form a club ! ...Ladle Caster's United ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Thumbs up

I'd be honored, Gary!

Boolit Master

20 pound melter pot

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...0-standard-pot

10 pound melter pot

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...ropot-assembly

Beter than poisoning your self IMHO

Boolit Buddy
    I clean my bottom pour Lee regularly. Pour out the last little bit of alloy while the pot is still very hot, scrape the sides with a screwdriver to loosen the crud up and it all goes to the bottom. Take a pointed tool like an ice pick and pry out the foreign stuff sticking near the spout, and dump the solids out. Then, take one of the stainless steel scouring pads ( sold at auto parts stores) and scour the sides and bottom. It's doesn't have to shine, but that is how I arrive at and maintain a CLEAN lead pot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12