MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard crud in bottom of me Lee pot

Boolit Master

Hard crud in bottom of me Lee pot

I melted the lead in my Lee pot & poured it out to clean it. There is some crud in the bottom of the pot that is
    very hard & shiny. I can,t seem to remove it. Any Ideas?

Fly

Boolit Master

A picture would be helpful here I think. Been too long since I've seen the bottom of my pots to remember what's what down there. And it's likely from brand to brand they might look differently.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

If its the same sort of crud I get, you can dig it out with a big screw driver.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Vinegar and peroxide 50-50 solution .! Let it sit for about 20 minutes and it’ll loosen everything up . Just remember to flush it out with freshwater after you get it clean
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Moderator Emeritus

Do you use Marvelux ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    (Do you use Marvelux ? ) No I don't even know what that is. First thing I tried was a Screw drive & got some out. But some of I can't budge.
    I will try the Vinegar and peroxide 50-50 solution. I went a head & ordered a new pot, but I would like to get this one up & going. I will let
    you guys know how thing go on this.
    Fly

Boolit Master
    Lee sells some replacement parts ....

If it's not affecting your boolit alloy, or making your pot drip (I'm assuming it's a bottom pour Lee), then just don't worry about the crud on the bottom. Chances are that if it ever breaks free, it'll float to the top of your lead melt... that's if it ever does break free, which it probably won't.

The best way to keep the bottom of your lead pot clean is to just never see the bottom of your lead pot. When you finish a casting session, leave at least a half inch of alloy in the bottom. Keeps the bottom clean, and makes your next session melt faster. I haven't seen the bottom of my pot since it was new.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    If it's not affecting your boolit alloy, or making your pot drip (I'm assuming it's a bottom pour Lee), then just don't worry about the crud on the bottom. Chances are that if it ever breaks free, it'll float to the top of your lead melt... that's if it ever does break free, which it probably won't.

The best way to keep the bottom of your lead pot clean is to just never see the bottom of your lead pot. When you finish a casting session, leave at least a half inch of alloy in the bottom. Keeps the bottom clean, and makes your next session melt faster. I haven't seen the bottom of my pot since it was new.
    Agree with the difference for me is I try not to let my pot go below 75% full. Just me.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

I’d warm up the pot, I suspect there’s lead mixed with dross that is stuck to the bottom of the pot. Warm it up and use a old spoon to break it loose then scoop it out.

A picture would be helpful, I have cleaned the pot a few times, never had anything of note.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

Boolit Master
    If it won’t break loose with heat try sticking it in the freezer for a few days, or maybe drop a piece of dry ice on top of it.

Boolit Grand Master

I've worn a dust mask and used a wire cup brush on a drill to clean my pot a few times. This stuff really does not hurt anything except that I know its there!

Boolit Master
    I use a long handled spoon and scrape down the sides of the pot, and also the bottom, while the lead is molten. The crud floats to the top and I skim it off. Doing this pretty much eliminates the dripping from the spout.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I use a long handled spoon and scrape down the sides of the pot, and also the bottom, while the lead is molten. The crud floats to the top and I skim it off. Doing this pretty much eliminates the dripping from the spout.
    That is how I do it
    I do have a special tool I picked up about 40 years ago that I have considered selling on eBay .
    Antique custom bullet casting tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C47B7699-5D92-44E8-A8E1-FAC6677BB48E.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    (Do you use Marvelux ? ) No I don't even know what that is. First thing I tried was a Screw drive & got some out. But some of I can't budge.
    I will try the Vinegar and peroxide 50-50 solution. I went a head & ordered a new pot, but I would like to get this one up & going. I will let
    you guys know how thing go on this.
    Fly
    Marvelux is a commerical powdered flux that a lot of guys hate. They blame everything on it's use .
    You answered correctly... I know nothing of it .
    Admitting you use it gets you in trouble with the sawdust fluxing bunch .
    Do I use it ?
    I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it may incriminate me .
    I also don't cast with a bottom pour pot... Call me a Rebel !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Marvelux is a commerical powdered flux that a lot of guys hate. They blame everything on it's use .
    You answered correctly... I know nothing of it .
    Admitting you use it gets you in trouble with the sawdust fluxing bunch .
    Do I use it ?
    I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it may incriminate me .
    I also don't cast with a bottom pour pot... Call me a Rebel !
    Gary
    Do you *GASP* cast with a ladle? Nice to know I ain't the only one marching to my own drummer out there.

Funny how we are "too slow" but there are not whole threads about how to keep our ladles from dripping. Or fix a ladle that drips, or which brand of ladle is a "drip-o-matic".

Without a picture I suspect lead or alloy in the bottom of the cooling pot has simply soldered itself to the pot bottom and being at the bottom of a steep sided "well" one can't get a scraper type implement under the edges to scrape it off. The suggestion to fire up the pot and scrape with a spoon is probably a good one.

Or like the man said don't let the pot get empty and you will never know it is there. Like turning up the radio when the car is making funny noises. Solution just works.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    That is how I do it
    I do have a special tool I picked up about 40 years ago that I have considered selling on eBay .
    Antique custom bullet casting tool.
    I've been thinking of hammering or grinding on that spoon to reshape it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I've been thinking of hammering or grinding on that spoon to reshape it a bit.
    I have two spoons that came with a fishing weight casters estate supply of lead. One with edges rolled up just a bit and the tip ground a little bit flatter. The other rolled up at the point to provide a narrow trough shaped tip.

I sort of like the idea that I'm still using the shapes he came up with and they work very well.

I ground the "point" flat on a spoon with holes in it so it can scrape the bottom of the smelting pot better and get into the corner around the edge. Salvation Army tool store model Mk 2 new and improved.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master
    I always empty my Lee pots after casting. I use a variety of alloy mixes, and I want the pot empty when I start a casting session.

When I'm all done, I drain out what's left, pick up the empty pot, turn it over, and bang it on my casting mat. That knocks out the crud in the bottom.

I know.....I know....that's not good for the pot.....but I've been doing that for 45 years and I haven't ruined one yet. I have three Lee bottom draw pots, the oldest is 45 years old and still works like new.

I also use Marvelux, and occasionally cast with a ladle.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Do you *GASP* cast with a ladle? Nice to know I ain't the only one marching to my own drummer out there. ...Roger Dat

I do that as well, Roger AND I use Marvelux (with no problems whatsoever). I guess I'm on the fast track to perdition! (LOL)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast