WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Rifle today, for deer hunting tomorrow?

My advice would be to let him use a shotgun with buckshot and limit the range to “ up close and personal “ until you get the rifle sorted out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by superior View Post
    My advice would be to let him use a shotgun with buckshot and limit the range to “ up close and personal “ until you get the rifle sorted out.
    Thanks for your suggestion, but buckshot is not legal for deer here in Missouri. Good suggestion though. Our main deer season ends today so that gives me some time to "work" on the rifle. Break it in and load some 150 grain jacketed bullets to velocities that hopefully will match purchased ammo in the future. So when I get done setting the scope so it hits at 200 yards, that "factory" ammo will also hit within minute-of-deer at 100 yards. I happen to have found a few hundred old Hornady 150 grain lead tip jacketed bullets that I used to use many years ago before switching to shooting all lead projectiles. So I might as well use some of these up and produce some usable deer ammo for the children and grandchildren also. These faster velocities will give them a more point-of-hit range for deer for easier shooting for the inexperienced hunters. Where with the lower velocity, heavier lead bullets I use I can adjust my aim for those longer shots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12