Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: PSI for the 14" .223 TC

Lat. 33N 6' 48" Long. -84 15" 11" Middle Georgia

PSI for the 14" .223 TC

I'm getting into the Thompson Contenders and I keep asking a lot of questions, but TC will not answer or talk to me........What is the PSI of the 14" .223 (G-2) barrel????? Will this barrel take 40,000+ PSI? Thanks beng

I have used factory 223 Rem ammo in my Contender for years. Not sure your designation of PSI is correct. I think it may be CUP. However I am sure factory ammo is over 40,000. You can safely use higher pressure in smaller diameter cases. For instance a 45/70 loaded to the pressure of a factory 223 Rem would probably overload the Contender frame and possible be DANGEROUS. Always use a quality manual as a Guide. You can still get one (May have to look on XBay) made specifically for a Contender Pictured below. I think factory ammo due to liabilities will always be safe in a FACTORY T/C barrel. Have seen some custom barrels chambered for some VERY HOT cartridges. Hope this helps. Been shooting Contenders since the late 70's. All I shoot now
    Safe shooting and enjoy
    Doug
    Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better !!

Both of the books posted above can be had through midway USA just bought them last year . Great books for the contenders . Factory or equivalent 223 should be fine in your contender . I'd stay away from the 556 military stuff that's what they told me about mine at SSK just use the 223 loads .

Boolit Master

You do know there really is no TC don't you? Other than that they will take Factory ammo that is SAMI spec and that is more than that.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Buy the Yellow cover Contender load book.

Re: Max pressures; http://www.lasc.us/BellmMaxPressureContender.htm
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

The SAAMI MAP [Maximum Average Pressure] for the 223 Rem is 55,000 psi (no correlation to CUP). That is fine for the Contender given the "bolt thrust" of the cartridge. Most all the 223 Rem factory I have pressure tested in my own 21" Contender carbine barrel come fairly close to that MAP. Most all recent reloading manuals data for the 223 Rem also comes close or does not exceed the SAAMI MAP. Note that 5.56 NATO (US) psi is higher as is load data given for the 5.56 NATO. Other than initial and occasional pressure testing I do not shoot 223 Rem loads above the SAAMI MAP in my Contender.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla