RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I talked to an atheist the other day

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

I talked to an atheist the other day

About a month ago A friend died . We had another friend that is a devout atheist . My friend died in the morning and I stayed with the family till the body was taken to the funeral home . I had already called a few out of town letting them know .

The mutual friend of the deceased and myself lived in town and shortly after noon leaving the facility I drove to his house to tell him in person as I prefer to do if possible . He saw me pull up in his drive and came out to my suv . I got out and explained the situation , I told him the arrangements for the service had been made at our friend's church .

He went straight into a rabid tirade with his opening line;

I know how I feel about that ! I'm not going to no church ! When we die we are just a piece of dead meat ! I ain't listening to no sermon !

He was going into a long drawn out speech I had heard too many times . I was leaning against the suv and held up both hands to him looking serious . I said ;

Don't shoot the messenger ! I just came to tell you ! I'm not trying to get you in a church and whether you go to the funeral or not is up to you ! I don't want to hear your excuse not to go . Many would go to show respect to the family if nothing else . That's your decision !

He chewed his tongue a second an calmed down . We talked a bit and I left .

He came to the service . He was nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs . He walked in and just sat down by me . He did not speak unless spoken to . When the service was over he left immediately .
    Last edited by Boaz; 11-21-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master

It would appear that he has no respect for the feelings of others in their time of grief and it would have been better if he would have stayed away.
    Atheist are as dead in their heart as they are in their soul.
    Last edited by Hickory; 11-21-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Sounds a lot like conviction to me. Man needs prayer.

Well...he did attend the service, didn't he...so he must have thought things over, and it's a bit unfair to say that he has no feelings for others. There must be a spark of something there, and only time will tell what may develop.

USMC 77, USRA 79

good for you Charlie!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Atheist are as dead in their heart as they are in their soul.
    Gross over generalization. This person lacked empathy, or was over reacting to the loss.

That sort of silly, childish, black and white logic will only serve to ostracize you from others.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrHarmless View Post
    That sort of silly, childish, black and white logic will only serve to ostracize you from others.
    I know several atheists, I call it as I see it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I know several people that call themselves Christians...but are repulsive excuses for humanity.
    Don Verna

I guess I'll take a more positive spin..... He showed up. He 'darkened the door' of a church, and he didn't burst into flames nor suffer any terribly ill effects from his seemingly first exposure to the Word of our Lord and Savior.

Maybe it's his first step.... And may we all pray that it is.

Trails.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Pride and the enigma of an inscrutable lifestyle is the result of someone either being raised in an Atheist background or prolonging the belief of "not believing" regardless of intuition, conviction or plain "knowing better". Regardless, your friend (as a friend) should of not thought twice about respecting the one who passed.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Buddy
    I’m a atheist and have no respect for churches or sermons but a funeral is about honoring the deceased not about your feelings about their beliefs.

Then I humbly suggest you check a mirror and start following the words of your lord and savior more closely.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I know several people that call themselves Christians...but are repulsive excuses for humanity.
    I've known Christians like that too.

Boolit Master
    Good job Charlie ... You did well... We should whenever posable talk face to face ... Yep it's harder.. Yep it takes more of our time and effort ... But it's not about us... It's about Gods glory.... People see and respond to effort...just a simple thing like remembering and using a persons name can be huge ...

I see conviction in this man .... Only a man who thinks he may be wrong will fight that hard to be right
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Grand Master

I would read him as extremely defensive - and when you are defensive you are under attack (conviction). You did not attack, so he is responding to something well beyond you. I agree, prayer is strongly suggested, and lots of love, which may be giving him space to wrestle with the Holy Spirit.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by rl69 View Post
    Good job Charlie ... You did well... We should whenever posable talk face to face ... Yep it's harder.. Yep it takes more of our time and effort ... But it's not about us... It's about Gods glory.... People see and respond to effort...just a simple thing like remembering and using a persons name can be huge ...

I see conviction in this man .... Only a man who thinks he may be wrong will fight that hard to be right
    Ronnie .......you nailed it .

My friend can't deal with it . Even mention of GOD's name puts him on the defensive in any situation . He is struggling against GOD . Seen it too many times .

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I would read him as extremely defensive - and when you are defensive you are under attack (conviction). You did not attack, so he is responding to something well beyond you. I agree, prayer is strongly suggested, and lots of love, which may be giving him space to wrestle with the Holy Spirit.

I agree Wayne . I pray for him daily , as I said ...he is my friend .

I don't see this as a non-belief in God, so much as a lack of understanding of a true meaning of God. He seems to be struggling...hard. I will be praying for him. May the Holy Spirit soften his heart. In Jesus name. Amen.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

I didn't make this post to bash atheists . I posted it to perhaps help us understand them better and possibly ways to help them . I personally have no problem with them unless they are 'preaching' against GOD . GOD gave us choice , this country gives us choice . There are too many 'reasons' someone can end up an atheist to apply a ...'one size fits all' remedy .

In my time here on the forum many non believers have come to the Chapel to show concern or encouragement to ones in need . They generally use something like....I 'hope' your situation gets better , I will be thinking of you .

I have no problem with them coming to try and encourage the best they can and think it's a good thing .

I think the point here is that we should deal with everyone as Jesus would. With love, and understanding.

Be they aithest, agnostic, or obnoxious Christian.

It is up to US to take the higher standard. Well done brother Boaz!