Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Numrich's Star Rolling Block .357 Mag barrel? Twist rate?

Boolit Bub

Numrich's Star Rolling Block .357 Mag barrel? Twist rate?

I've got three of these, and two measure dead on the same for bore and groove diameter, and one measures slightly larger. Does anyone know the twist rate?

I have the .357 caliber, 20 7/8" length barrels, with the metric threaded shank.

I have one of these in 30-30 and have never slugged the bore to check the twist rate. I looked on the Numrich website to see if they list the twist but they don't. A lot of members here have used there Star RB 357 barrels for project rifles because they are priced good and seem to shoot well.
    You can check your own barrel with a cleaning rod and a tight fitting jag and patch and a piece of tape used like a pointer to count how much the rod turns in a measured amount as you push it thru the bore.
    Since they are short barrels of only about 20 1/2" and you can't count the chamber so you may have about 18" at the most to use to measure.
    Be sure whatever type of jag and patch you use is screwed in the rod tight and the handle turns freely as if the tip unscrews or the handle doesn't allow the rod to turn freely the patch will slip and you will not get a good measurement.

Jedman

Boolit Bub
    There's no chamber cut at all in any of mine, so I was considering a .356 Winchester-but without knowing the twist I'd probably be limited to lighter weight bullets. Better stick to the .357 Mag/Max.

I'll check the twist tonight.

I have one that I bought for a falling block project that I chickened out on building. I ended up making a reamer and cutting the chamber for .357 Maximum and turned the profile down to make a 12 gauge adapter that's the full length of the barrel blank. It shoots pretty good but I haven't got around to making a set of sights for it. It was a fun project that just using the front bead and top of the hammer for aiming will let you hit a 4" steel target most of the time from 40 yards or so. I don't have any 357 Max ammo, but 38 Special or 357 Mag work great using powder coated Lee 125 grain bullets. I'm sure that I checked the twist when I was messing with it but can't remember what it was now.

I haven't had a Starr RB for a couple years. I've only had 357s and they shot decent. I saw one at a trade days sale last month with a $350 tag on it, in 357. It wasn't a cream puff.

Boolit Bub
    Just measuring this. Have measured the same two barrels three times. Both barrels measure 1 in 12 twist!

Does anyone else who has one of these, have time to measure their twist rate?

I measured using a tight fitting patch, and a 1-piece rod. Rod has a long straight line up one side. Rod inserted, then marked, pushed (with ball bearing handle) until line rotated around and lined up with start mark, rod marked again, and then the distance between the marks on the rod measured. 12" between marks, so 1 turn in 12".

I just checked the one I have,and it looks to be 1 in 12 too

Boolit Master
    That is a very rapid twist for a 357.....basically,it will stabilize any bullet you would care to use....Not very ideal for blackpowder ,tho.