Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: A Sizing Question.....Or Two.

Boolit Mold

Question A Sizing Question.....Or Two.

I have a Mihec Terminator mold that drops bullets at .435 in. I want to power coat them and then size them to .432 in.

What powder leaves the thinnest coat (Smoke's Clear?),or is it more dependent on the method of powder application?

If, say the coating leaves a .002 thickness, can I size from .437 down to .432 and expect decent results?

I have shot them sized from .435 down to .432 and lubed via a regular RCBS lubrisizer, and they shoot great.

I would have thought sizing down from .437 to .432 is a big ask, unless it's done in a couple of steps? Of course, if you use Hi-Tek for the coating it adds minimal thickness to the boolit so sizing would be easier.

Boolit Master
    I would try both ways. Size some before coating and then after coating. Then size some after coating. See what the difference looks like and how much force is needed to do the sizing. Then judge for yourself which is best.

I have size some larger bullets (.500) down by .005 before with no ill effects. I have also tried to size by .008 and it is tough. Had a few not come out even, even if done in two steps. But, for pistols at 25yd it is probably not an issue.

When I use Eastwood light blue I usually gain less than .002 on diameter (rifle .308 bullets). That is a shake and bake method, stood on end to make sure it stays relatively even.

Boolit Master
    I use Smoke's clear and it adds about 0.002 to the diameter of the bullet. I have one mold that drops at about 0.359 that I like to use in my 9mm (0.356). I size in two steps, first 0.358, then 0.356, then PC, then size again to 0.356. Works great.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    I just went through this same issue myself with a new MiHec 360-640. I wanted the new Smokes Translucent Copper to be, well Copper. After one coat, which had a good coat, I went ahead and did one more coat. Too much of a good thing. After seating a few GC's, I ran them through the Lee .358" die and collapsed the lube grooves.

I'm sure they would shoot, but they looked bad and the crimp groove was almost nonexistent.

I've since cast a few hundred and just did one coat. They look great and I'll know tomorrow how they shoot.

I've found that Smokes clear is pretty thin yet gives a very good coat.

Boolit Grand Master
    from mold .435
    size first .432
    then coat .434
    then size to .432
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome to the affliction Dave !
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !