Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wife had a flat

Boolit Master

Wife had a flat

She hit something in the road coming home from work. A strange helped her out. :drinks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	251550
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned
    Someone with a gun was being kind.........what will the liberals say?

Boolit Master

The safest people are those with a carry license

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

There are still gentlemen in the south. Good job sir. I will say he’s an older gentleman and not of the youthful variety. Do millennials even know how to change a tire? My ex wife’s long time boyfriend abhors guns but also had to call AAA to change the tire on his Tundra

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    There are still gentlemen in the south. Good job sir. I will say he’s an older gentleman and not of the youthful variety. Do millennials even know how to change a tire? My ex wife’s long time boyfriend abhors guns but also had to call AAA to change the tire on his Tundra
    There are still gentlemen and decent people everywhere.

Around here (rural Kansas) if a car is stopped on the side of the road, it 's usually the first or second car that comes along who stops and at least asks if they're OK or could use some help. I was in the Army for 24 years and hence, gone a lot. There were a few times the wife had a problem like car trouble or something and the kindness of strangers kept it from becoming a real problem. I still believe most people are OK and help each other out, maybe I'm naïve.

Banned
    To answer the question: "Do millennials even know how to change a tire?" - The answer is a definitive "NO".
    They can however, watch a youtube video on their smart phone that demonstrates how to change a tire only to find out that their spare tire is missing or flat.

I have helped a lot people change tires over the years and what was once a common skillset held by any male over the age of 15 is now about non-existent.

The lack of foresight is also shocking. Most people couldn't find the spare tire and have never checked the air pressure in the spare.
    One of the first things I do when obtaining a "new to me" vehicle, is to check out the spare tire, jack, lug wrench and lug nuts.
    I will clean and lubricate the jack and make sure it's functional. I check the spare and make sure it is inflated. I also break loose all of the lug nuts, put a little bit of grease on the threads and re-torque them. You should do this for your significant others. Even if they cannot change a flat, someone may help them change a flat and all of that equipment needs to be serviceable.
    If the vehicle has a cheap lug wrench (a lot of the factory ones suck), put a good one in the vehicle.

A little preparation can prevent a minor problem from becoming a major problem.

Yes there are still good people in this world that man is a good example . Not all of this younger mill generation are clueless . My son who is 22 can figure stuff out pretty well with a little coaching from dad his first flat tire he called me asking what do I do ! I responded in a stern dad voice "figure it out the instructions are in the owners manual and on a sticker where the spare is at" and I hung up the phone ! Guess what the tire got changed and he figured it out . The younger ones just need a shove in the right direction with some things
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I have helped change a few in my life, but in the latter years it's much harder for me to do. I was driving to call on a customer many years ago when a car passed me with two females and a almost flat right rear tire. I kept a look out for them, and sure enough, I saw them on the side of the interstate. I stopped and changed the tire for them. I remember that it was very hot from running flat.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master

I stopped to help a twenty something young man change a tire last year. He was just standing there looking at his flat like it would change itself when I stopped. I asked if needed any help and he said he did. He did not know where his spare was, or his jack. He did not know how to use the jack or where to put it. He had no idea how to get his fancy wheel covers off or even which direction to turn the lug nuts. Instead of changing it for him I made him to the work while he did the work. He did a pretty good job, except he could not break the lugs loose.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

My daughter needed a jump so she called her room mate and neither one could figure out how to get the hood open on the room mates car. Probably just as well, might have fried something expensive. Those kind of things make me aware and ashamed of the fact that we may have coddeled her too much. On the other hand when I tried to teach her to change a tire she weighed 80 pounds and could not turn the lug nuts even standing on the wrench.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

There are still good people in the world. I've stopped to help lots of people and my Wife has had a few to stop and help her. I don't think its just a Southern thing but it does make me proud to know that the men in the South are keeping the tradition going.

I will help when I can, but these days I think twice, living in such a litigious society. Sidebar: I had to change my tire a few months ago on my Tacoma, and it was all I could do to lift that sucker up into place! ...gettin' old.

Boolit Master
    When our kids started driving we had a few stipulations about what was expected of them. Right up there on the list was that "Dad was NOT AAA! Before they could use the vehicles they had to know how to change a tire. They had to prove they could by actually changing one right here in the driveway, under my supervision. The girls struggled with it but they both got it done, our son got a pass on that because he had already learned by working on vehicles with me. The only exception to that was if they couldn't get the lugs loose. I would show up for that but when I got there the rig had to be off the ground and the spare down and ready to install.

My parents thought that was totally unreasonable of me. Too bad, our vehicles, our rules. Live with them or walk!
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

I've been known to help out a few stranded motorists in my younger days.....getting riskier though.

Boolit Grand Master

Like Allen in Vermont, my three had to change a tire also, along with check oils wiper fluids and radiator. So they knew how. My oldest daughter and son did fine with the tire change. Middle daughter we found out she needed 3 foot pipe for the lug wrench. She could jump up and down on it and not break lugs loose. Only way to find this out though is to do it.

I have stopped and changed tires for people. A couple were even older gents who knew how and were more than capable but were in suits and I was in jeans LOL. I have also pulled people out of the ditch in winter. Not a big deal to do . Took people to get gas that had ran out. All of this calls under being neighborly and is just a part of being a help.
    Now with cell phones and internet help is a phone call away but the Gent who stops and helps offers his time and knowledge is still there and appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master
    Many don't even know how to maintain a car. Case in point, a daughter of a friend of the Wifes ,bought a new car. Drove it for I don't know how long, and ignored the engine light on the dash when it came on and just drove the car. Ran the car out of oil, burned up the engine, wanted Mom and Dad to foot the bill for the repairs!!

Told my kid, if you are going to drive, you will know how to check oil, ect. Only one in the group of friends who knew how to drive a stick.

This thread creates mixed feelings for me. First off kudos for the MAN who helped a motorist with a flat. Done a few myself.

Second on the subject of women and kids not knowing stuff. The fact is that they mostly don't know stuff because they weren't taught anything. Women are capable of doing mist stuff men can (upper body strength can be a factor) but no one teaches them . Our generation can't avoid some blame for this. We needed and need to teach more. Worried about declining hunting and shooting numbers? Take a woman or millennial hunting or shooting. Offer some deer jerky or fresh picked veggies. I have unofficially adopted a millenial. I taught her to shoot. I shared fresh grilled backstrap with her, I was present when she took the Illinois ccw course. She elected to not get a foid card or own a gun but she knows the basics. For Christmas one year I bought her a lithium booster pack to keep in her car. She lives in Chicago. She sent me an excited text last winter about her car not starting (very cold morning) and how she had used the booster pack to start the car by herself. She was THRILLED that she had done this without calling AAA.

Mrs. Thumbcocker's nephew is a millenial living in Austin. He has seen pics of our garden and deer meat. He told us "there are hipsters in Austin who dream about living the way you do." He wants to come for a visit to learn stuff. I will oblige him.

Years ago I saw a documentary on living treasures of Japan. Elderly Japanese with special skills were named living treasures. They were given a medal, a small stipend, and an obligation to teach youngsters. It is considered a great honor.

The next time we want to complain about women and millennials not knowing anything maybe we should ask ourselves how many women or millennials we have taken the time to teach.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

The first 3 posters it seems looked at the photo. I assume everyone here would help a stranded lady needing assistance but not everyone has a glocky looking thing strapped on when they do.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    I had to change my tire a few months ago on my Tacoma, and it was all I could do to lift that sucker up into place! ...gettin' old.

There's a trick to it:

Jack the car up. Pull the flat tire off.
    Lower the jack enough to roll the spare over and tilt it in place so one lug nut hole drops over a stud. Start the nut.
    Raise the jack, and as it lifts up, it'll pull the tire onto the lugs.

This'll work on a car, and it's about the only way to put on something like a 5' tall tractor tire by yourself.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-21-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Someone with a gun was being kind.........what will the liberals say?
    They will say that the guy with the "assault weapon" forced the motorist to let him do "unnecessary" things to her car and that she was minding her own business when he "cornered her". LMAO!

You don't honestly expect the liberal media to allow this to get out, do you???

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast