Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Any wooden Rifle Cases/Boxes?

Any wooden Rifle Cases/Boxes?

Im in the process of making a nice wooden gun case for my Winchester 1886. My uncle actually made it multiple decades ago when he first started wood working. Im now making it more to my liking.
    I want something like the old hunters had, even saw a few pictures of mountain man or buffalo hunters with these cases. They held the rifle, cartridges, and even in some cases reloading tools. I want it to look as period correct as possible.
    These days CAS sometimes have similar cases depending on the match they are shooting.

Anyone here have any pictures of theirs or cool finds on the internet?

I made a video, unrelated to the case, but you can see it in the background here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W37B-pXvGQ

Boolit Master
    some time ago i sold a remington 8 in 35 in a fitted take-down felt lined wooden case that looked like a 20" long 6X8 tool box, with leather handle. a nice set-up for the discrete traveler.

Boolit Grand Master

Do a search for buggy boxes. These were used more for the heavy sharps and similar rifles. There are several making them now. Making one yourself may be the best route. They can be done with hand tools and hand cut dovetails. Or reinforced corners with brass or aluminum angle. I have seen them 1 gun-4 gun versions. A 4 gun with 4 sharps and accouterments would be a heavy thing to move around.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Do a search for buggy boxes. These were used more for the heavy sharps and similar rifles. There are several making them now. Making one yourself may be the best route. They can be done with hand tools and hand cut dovetails. Or reinforced corners with brass or aluminum angle. I have seen them 1 gun-4 gun versions. A 4 gun with 4 sharps and accouterments would be a heavy thing to move around.
    Il do some research, thanks.

Boolit Master

My Ruger Lyman Centennial 45-70 has a wooden box
    https://www.icollector.com/RUGER-SPE...IN-DI_i9463314

and

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...o-1-rifle-4570

P.S.
    Could not tell from the video, your 1886 is NOT a takedown? Right?
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    My Ruger Lyman Centennial 45-70 has a wooden box
    https://www.icollector.com/RUGER-SPE...IN-DI_i9463314

and

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...o-1-rifle-4570

P.S.
    Could not tell from the video, your 1886 is NOT a takedown? Right?
    Nope not a takedown. Octagon barrel, button mag, 40-82.

Thats what I have so far.

Boolit Master

Looks great !!
    Also many of the ones that I know about are top loaders.

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

It's a bit crude and has no lining, but it is original to the time period. This is the old wood traveling case that came with my 1873 Maynard 2 barrel set. (In .35-30 Maynard and .64 calibre / 20 gauge smoothbore.)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    I made one out of 1/2" plywood, brass hinges, brass angle iron, and brass lock staple and hasp. Was for a 20" bbld Winchester lever action. Could hole 3-4 boxes of ammo, home made cleaning rod made of 1/4" brass brazing rod with threaded end to fit a brass handle and assortment of jags like they sell today. Some oil, patches, brushes, and a couple wiper cloths. When I got the safe all the guns went there. Had about 6-7 coats of polyurethane over a couple coats of sanding sealer which had been well sanded so it looked really nice. Made it longer that it needed to be but held all of the extras. All I had was a circular saw and a sanded. Buddy saw it in the basement and asked what it was for. So I showed hime what went where. He says I wonder if an M1 carbine would fir. Probably I answered. Had to reposition some of the dividers but darned if it didn't fit. Paid me $50 for it and probably still in use today. I made it up as one big solid box then used the circular saw to make the cuts.Used the sanders to smooth out the cuts. And hand sand with sanding blocks. saw his after we'd made the alterations. Most of the ammo came in the 50 round repack boxes so he had a few in there.15 and 30 round mags another military cleaning kit along with the usual cleaning stuff. Had a brass plaque with his name rank and service number. Frank

Banned

Jeff's Outfitters has reasonably priced canvas and leather rifle/shotgun cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    It's a bit crude and has no lining, but it is original to the time period. This is the old wood traveling case that came with my 1873 Maynard 2 barrel set. (In .35-30 Maynard and .64 calibre / 20 gauge smoothbore.)

Damn, that's cool. Nice to have the rifle and the box.

Yep ... one of my other old Maynards came with it's case too ... (a Schuetzen target rifle in .32-35 Stevens Maynard) ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Can't post pics here but;

"Box joint" corners are appropriate. Then after the case is made,and hinged. You can line the inside perimeter,usually the bttm half,with 1/4" plywood. It will be about 3/8-1/2" higher than the case sides. No liner on top. Makes the whole case more weather proof and keeps everything in alignment better. Good luck with your project.

[QUOTE=Reverend Al;4769259]Yep ... one of my other old Maynards came with it's case too ... (a Schuetzen target rifle in .32-35 Stevens Maynard) ...

Must have paid a decent price to get the case and rifle...