RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on rifle for 350 legend?

Boolit Master

Opinions on rifle for 350 legend?

I’m looking to get an entry level bolt action rifle in 350 legend. I see the main choices consist of Ruger American, Mossberg patriot, savage axis, and Winchester xpr. I’m not a fan of the Winchester so that’s out. I like the price point of the Mossberg and savage best. Anyone here have experience with these rifles in 350? Does one have a better chamber/throat for cast boolits? Or any strong positives/negatives for these brand/models of rifles in general?

Update- after talking to a couple gunsmiths I trust, I’m scratching the savage axis off the list. They’re pushing heavy for me to get the Mossberg. So, opinions?
    Last edited by hornsurgeon; 11-20-2019 at 08:20 PM.
    Hornsurgeon's Feedback Thread

a woman's scorn will come and go but a fine rifle will last forever.

Do the smiths tell you why they don't like the Axis?

Banned

Mossberg is a copy of the Savage soooo.... The Axis has one flaw that can be a problem. It can have light primer strikes. But it is so rare it is moot. All that is needed is some polishing and it goes away. Your smiths must be Remington guys if they are trash talking a Savage. If Savage were so bad then why did almost every manufacturer copy the Savage rifles?

Go the Ruger if you can. The fit and finish is better than the Savage and Mossberg. The Winchester would be the highest quality out of all of them.

Boolit Buddy
    A friend has the ruger and is very happy with it in 350 legend. I have several ruger american rifles that I am happy with.

Boolit Master
    My experience with the Ruger All American Rifles is the bolt is not smooth, there is play in it. That particular rifle shot well and was very comfortable, it was just not up to par with my Model 70. The two Savages that I have had experience with, the bolts were very smooth and they fed well. Only shot one. Sticky chamber in that one, it was a rimfire. The factory fixed it, no questions asked. The other one was an Axis II. Its bolt was smooth, trigger was good, stock was a little flimsy but serviceable. Mossberg looks interesting, haven't even held one tho. The XPR I have no experience with. Just my thots, but the Savage is good value for money. Mossberg looks to be in the ballpark. While the Ruger shot well, I was not interested.

Boolit Master

Both smiths previously were savage nuts. They’ve built tons of custom rifles on savages, and were even fans of the cheaper original axis. However, both said that currently all savages have taken a nosedive in quality, and the axis 2 were problematic. They both stated that the Ruger would be a good rifle, but it’s a bit more than I was hoping to spend.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shortlegs View Post
    A friend has the ruger and is very happy with it in 350 legend. I have several ruger american rifles that I am happy with.

Does he load with cast boolits at all? If so, how were his results?

If my 62 year old memory is not failing me, the Winchester XPR is now available in 350 Legend. My wife has the Compact version in 7mm08 and it’s a nice rifle for around $300.

Boolit Master

Ya simply cant bear that Ruger

Why is Winchester cscratched?

Only issue with Ruger is no locking bolt. Kinda needed on a ghunting rifle IMHO. Winchester has it. Wish Howa mini got chambered in the 350

I have the Ruger. She is a shooter!

XPr is made of unobtanium

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I am getting rid of my Savage Axis as it is right handed and I am a lefty and found a Ruger American Predator at a good price. As to the other features? I shot 3 deer with it. Some have had issues with the stock being flimsy but have fixed it by gluing or installing some form of rod in the fore stock. The Axis was a good accurate rifle and they shoot on par with more expensive rifles. Mine had a reasonable trigger pull and one deer was hit at 200 yards according to my brother in laws rangefinder.

DEP

Boolit Master

CW- I had a Winchester in 6.5 Creedmoor. Nothing about it seemed well made. Bolt lugs didn’t mate well in the receiver, trigger sucked, and the whole thing felt cheaply made. Maybe they’ve improved, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth for them.

Boolit Master

Fair enough!

You will be happy with the Ruger

My buddy bought a Mossberg Patriot. Poor shooter, bedding is finky. They have a mag adaptor sandwiched between stock and action. NOT A SOLID situation squeezing a piece of plastic like that. Gun simply wouldn't shoot as well as it should have. He traded it for a Ruger and was shooting 1” OUT OF BOX!

I have a Mossberg PREDATOR MVP its older and a solid shooter. The Patriot isnt. I would not buy one.

I have shot about six Americans and every stinkin one was a shooter!! My 300 BO shoots sub 1” @200 yards!! Both my 350 & 450 shoot 1” @ 100 yards!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the Ruger. It will shoot, but doesn't feed smoothly. Think I will send a Rem 600 to JES and turn it into a 350 legend

You are correct about the availability, but the price I'm seeing is $500 and up. At $300 this would be an easy sell to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    If my 62 year old memory is not failing me, the Winchester XPR is now available in 350 Legend. My wife has the Compact version in 7mm08 and it’s a nice rifle for around $300.

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I have the Ruger. It will shoot, but doesn't feed smoothly. Think I will send a Rem 600 to JES and turn it into a 350 legend
    AND you'll get a proper .358" barrel in the bargain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    hornsurgeon,
    don't be afraid of the Savage Axis II. Had one in 308Win, was super accurate with factory or cast handloads. My son-in-law has same in 243Win. Only traded mine because I wanted to get back to a rifle with open sights and settled for a current production Marlin 30/30Win which by the way also shoots factory and .309 and .310 dia cast bullets very well even though it is a new rifle. However, on a side note, quality in today's products be whatever category can vary from week to week. Get the one YOU want and I think you'll be happier than someone else making your decision.

Banned

Yah get a 358 barrel to shoot bullets that will never expand if you use the rifle bullets, or blow up if you use the pistol bullets.

Makes perfect sense to me for a hunting rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Yah get a 358 barrel to shoot bullets that will never expand if you use the rifle bullets, or blow up if you use the pistol bullets.

If using jacketed bullets, those designed for the .35 Rem might be OK.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post

SO- the .357 Maximum is useless? I was thinking of cast bullets, anyway. No Doubt the .358" barrel would be better for them. So you like the end product that is the .350 Legend? Exclusive brass and .355" barrel? Okay, that's great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Not all 350 legends are created equal. I have a RARR in 350L that chambers and fires 0.3575" jacketed SPs. No signs of overpressure with a full case of AA1680.

BB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast