RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise hereRepackboxInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on rifle for 350 legend?

Boolit Master
    Seems every time I see a 350 thread there is discussion on bullet performance.
    I am on the fence if I want one or not. I have found 35’s very forgiving with cast. When I say 35’s that will include a fairly wide span from 38SW through 350 Remington magnum. Sure I could make a varmint rifle out of a pistol bullet if I were so inclined. I have run some 125jhp through a 35 Remington, it is some what spectacular on small colony type animals.
    A little reading and studying goes a long way. There were more options as far as jacketed some years back. There are still some very good ones as well.

Being as this is castboolits, an alloy change will go a long way.

Have to agree on the Savage rifles made in the last several years. I dislike, almost hate the center feed. Matter of fact all have been fitted with single shot followers.
    I have some fairly early ones. One was even designed and built to challenge the 40X, forget the model. Then have some 80’s pre accutrigger that are nice. Even a couple of accutrigger SS that are over and above what I see today.
    I see plenty of new used in the racks. Try and find one of the 80-90’s rifles.

Boolit Bub
    I have a savage edge in 308. (They had to rename to Axis) great shooter, harvested 2 black bears 5 blacktails. From 110 yards out to 275. You dont get many opportunities here to shoot farther even at clubs In my area. So i get closer. For target work my smallest group with the rifle is 7/8 on centers 3 shot group at 100yds (Wolf steel case 150gr. It came free from the lgs at purchase) I am happy for the price point and with our soggy pnw weather i wanted something i didnt care about. Barrel came free floated. The factory trigger was heavy but breaks clean. My skill set I was able to succesfully trim a coil and a half (a 1/4 coil at a time)off the trigger return spring to 4lbs. Things i tolerate, you might want to know:

Stock is very flexible in the wrist. So shooting off bags for target work is challenging.
    Make sure the mag is seatted correctly. It will seat incorrectly.
    Light weight barrel needs to cool down after 3 shots. Groups grow 30% for shots 4 and 5.
    Buy a leupold or better scope. Or get an iron sight model. Nikon prostaff will hold a zero for a while but its on a 22 now.
    I needed to buy an egw scope base to get my eye relief correct for the nikon and leupold.

Mayb the axis 2 is better? Ive never held one.
    Thinking of making a youth single shot stock from a slab of maple i have. My older son will be ready next year.

Boolit Buddy
    He doesnt cast and only shoots jacketed bullets.

Boolit Master

Shooting cast was how I justified the purchase of the 350.
    With Winchesters ignorant decision to make it a 355... No rifle bullets have been available till recently.

Cast dosent have that limitation and a few thousandths either way is inconsequential from that stand point. One just needs to size the bullet to the application. Mush like we would when sizing a bullet for a revolver.

Being this is Cast Boolit Forums. Its surprising a poster isnt a caster. Most would assume if your here you are a caster or you make it plain your not.

CW
    NRA Life member REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.

Boolit Grand Master

I've got both Mossberg and Savage rifles in various calibers. Both are well made for plastic stocked guns on the lower price scale, no problems with them and very accurate for hunting. My wife's Savage 243 shot about .87 with my first handloads and a very old 4x Tasco that was cloudy.
    We all do our duty when there is not cost to it, honor comes easier then. Sooner or later there comes a day in every man's life when it is not so easy, a day when he must choose and live with it for the rest of his days.

The further society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it
    George Orwell

Crux Sacra Sit Mihi Lux
    Tu Ne Cede Malis, Sed Contra Audentior Ito.

Boolit Grand Master

I have run some 125jhp through a 35 Remington, it is some what spectacular on small colony type animals.

I bet it was spectacular. What velocity did you run them at?
    We all do our duty when there is not cost to it, honor comes easier then. Sooner or later there comes a day in every man's life when it is not so easy, a day when he must choose and live with it for the rest of his days.

The further society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it
    George Orwell

Crux Sacra Sit Mihi Lux
    Tu Ne Cede Malis, Sed Contra Audentior Ito.

PSA has an upper for about 300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Since I already have a T/C carbine in 357 max shooting only CB's, I am a bit biased toward the max but if I was planning on putting getting a Mossberg and putting a 350 legend barrel on it, I would pick the Mossy Patrol rifle with the 16 1/4" barrel. I have one in 308. It is a very handy, quick rifle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12