Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Surrender

Surrender

It is not only in times past, but in modern times as well that people still try to use their own power and influence rather than depend on the power of Christ. In 1973, a young man named Charles Colson had reached the upper levels of personal power in Washington, DC. As Special Counsel to President Richard Nixon, he did whatever it took to advance his position. Ruthless and ambitious, he became known as the president’s “hatchet man,” quick to take the legs out from under any opponent. His compatriots called him the “evil genius.” He felt no compunctions against using illegal and immoral means, when it was necessary to gain his ends. Power was his god, and he served her well.

Then the Watergate scandal broke, in which the president and his henchmen were accused of illegal activities, chiefly the burglary of Democratic offices at the Watergate hotel in Washington. Chuck Colson was convicted of obstruction of justice, and served seven months at a federal prison in Alabama. While in prison, he had time to contemplate his fall. He had been a commissioned officer in the US Marine Corps, held high level government positions, and had climbed the political ladder, all the while gaining power and influence. He must have felt like he was invincible. But his god was a fickle god who demanded all, and gave nothing. In the end he was just another jailbird in the federal prison. It must have been crushing. From the NY Times:
    “In 1973, while looking for work after leaving the White House and fearing that he was going to wind up in jail, Mr. Colson got into his car and found himself in the grip of the spiritual crisis that led to his conversion. ‘This so-called White House hatchet man, ex-Marine captain, was crying too hard to get the keys into the ignition,’ he remembered. ‘I sat there for a long time that night deeply convicted of my own sin.”

Charles Colson acknowledged the authority of Christ, and made his life’s work the creation and management of Prison Fellowship Ministries. During his lifetime, Charles oversaw the creation of many programs including the Angel Tree to strengthen bonds between inmates and their children through providing Christmas gifts.
    So what does this surrender look like for me? Is it about wearing sackcloth and ashes, having a profound spiritual experience, or casting off riches? I don’t think so. I believe that what it boils down to is having true humility. Humility has nothing to do with being debased or put down, rather, it is the process of becoming the right size; the size and type of person that God wants you to be. For some people, that may mean accepting a position of authority that is not really desired, and handling it well. For others it may mean giving up other responsibilities to care for a family member. It can involve treating with kindness the stranger in our land, or the suffering addict who has lost hope. In the much-quoted passage Micah 6:8 we are told:

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
    And what does the Lord require of you?
    To act justly and to love mercy
    and to walk humbly with your God.

So how do I know if I am doing this right, if I am being humble, if I have surrendered to God’s authority? Well, the short answer is, that I will have peace; the peace that passes understanding. In the secure knowledge that under God’s guidance and protection, we will find meaning in our lives and our efforts will not be in vain.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Thank you
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

When we are A Mr. Fixit it is hard to surrender! For sixty years I thought this way but by Gods grace He changed my life ! After the smoke cleared ( I'm talking REAL SMOKE here, my shop had burned and I lost a 40 year accumulation of tools and stuff ). I kneeled down in the drive way and CRIED. Every time I would think about doing some thing I would think you've got nothing, not even a roll of tape ! God said now what are you going to do Mr. Fix it ! Finally I surrendered and cried for HELP !

Boolit Master

Good story, almost like hearing Paul Harvey again!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I also had no peace in my life until I let go of my need for power and control.

Wayne

PS: Thanks everybody.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

That is a good read, Amen!

Boolit Grand Master

Three times in the Scripture it says "God opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble". This is not discussing a class of people -"the proud" and "the humble". It is describing me.

When I am proud I am self determined, I am doing it my way. God Himself stands in opposition to me!

When I am humble I am surrendered to Him - and God Himself gives me grace.

This is a simple but profound and powerful thought. It's not about me, it's about God.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Thank you Wayne , good message !
    No turning back , No turning back !