Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coleman Single Burner Dual Fuel Stove.

The level in the tank doesn't matter. Like how much gas in in your car's tank doesn't effect how it runs.
    The quality of it is what's important.

Just a wild guess, but if that gas is old, it'll go bad, or the 'goodies' evaporate out over time.

I've only had lanterns, but they pretty much work the same as a stove.
    I've had better luck running them totally empty to store them very long.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    Excellent.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoWhamo View Post
    I'm going to answer my own post.

There were enough positive replies in this thread saying it would work so i bought one in an on-line sale and it arrived today.

I thought i had more white gas at home but i only had enough for about 1/8th of a tank.

I set it up and it lit first go. I put 2 ingots in the pot and it took quite a while to melt the alloy, then i added another 2 ingots which took a while to bring back up to temp. The alloy got to around 650 before it ran out of fuel.

After it cooled i put a half tank of unleaded gas in it and tried again. The difference was night and day. The unleaded gas burned a lot hotter. The 4 pounds in the pot heated up fast and adding 3 more ingots 1 at a time was faster to recover than if i'd have done the same in my Lee electric pot. When the alloy was about 710f i turned the heat down some and it maintained the temp well while i did a few casts.

I'm wondering if the lack of performance with white gas was due to the near empty tank or if it just doesn't have the energy of unleaded.

Anyways, to answer my own question.
    The single burner stove does work with an emphatic yes when using unleaded gas.
    More testing required with white gas.

And the stove was very stable with the small RCBS pot and about 7-8 pounds in it but i probably wouldn't want to take it much over that.
    Excellent post, CW. Great example of “This is what happened when I...” instead of “What would happen if I...” We need a lot more posts like this. Of course I enjoy seeing my calculations and ruminations confirmed in real time... but there’s just no substitute for direct observation. Thanks for taking the time and effort to report back, and I hope you will enjoy your new setup. The way you’ve got it arranged gets you back to the old days of the buffalo hunters casting bullets at the campfire. Way cool!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I remember my Dad had us empty the white gas back into the Coleman gas can, at the end of each season.
    A New can was purchased in the Spring. The old can was used for starting campfires, charcoal grills and for His Boys to blow up stuff with. I can't remember how my older Brothers did blow stuff up with. Probably a good thing.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    I have the two burner stove. Every so often I take the gas generator apart. It has a long coiled spring like wire inside.
    Wiring brushing that removes any carbon/varnish/crud, then the generator works OK.
    I've learned to refurbish, fix these old lanterns/stoves, I use a nylon or brass brush with carb cleaner, the crud comes right off, gotta use plenty of the carb cleaner since it evaporates so quick, like someone said earlier be careful with the hair like wire at the end of the generator, also don't forget to shoot some carb cleaner into the tube the generator goes in.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12