Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Any places that sell used muzzleloader parts ?

Any places that sell used muzzleloader parts ?

Besides evilbay and auction sites like GB ? I want to do an easy and inexpensive winter project just to pass my time and reall can't swing 200 on a lock and 160 or more on a barrel for what I have in mind . Which is avery plain and simple poor boy / barn gun type of rifle will make everything else myself but making a lock is outa my league .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned

Try DIXONS in Kempton, Pa.

Super Moderator

Dixie Gunworks
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    I just pick up complete rifles at Gun shops and pawn shops.
    So far I have not found any that I could not repair , restore or customize.
    In many cases , I made the parts needed like hammers and triggers rather than searching for odd parts.
    I found that trying to piece a gun together one part at a time was harder and cost me more in the long run.
    But I have aquired many parts from other members on this site.
    Speak up about what you are looking for especially in the WTB section , and I think you will get good responses.
    Last edited by LAGS; 11-19-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    ^^this is what I'd do.

If you want to make it a project, strip all the parts you don't want and make ones you like. You can even do things like slim up a Hawken style stock and splice in a longer fore end to make a KY like rifle. Change butt plates, trigger guards, etc, etc.

Boolit Master

Log Cabin Shop, Lodi Ohio
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    fort chambers Chambersburg pa.

Boolit Master
    Totw, track of the wolf.

Banned

Pecatonica River

I have an early Ketland style percussion lock I could part with for $125.00. Never been on a rifle.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You are trying to be cheap on the most important parts of the gun.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Not all people are trying to put together the Top of the Line competition Shooter.
    Most parts will be ok for their needs.
    But a lot of people like to start off with the basics so they can build their Skill Level and enjoy the hobby without going broke.
    Hopefully their next build will be upgraded from the last.
    But to Most.
    The entry level parts are acceptable to " Their Needs ".
    But Top of the line parts can be found at Reasonable prices with a little searching.
    But you are correct in one way.
    There are Junk Parts that maybe will make the rifle fire , but will not last a year..
    A few years ago I had a renegade barrel and cracked Bare stock that I got from a LGS.
    I was able to pick up the lock , Tang and trigger and trigger guard for a member for like $70.00.
    I also was able to find a complete stock that was totally cracked in two with all the parts for $50.00 plus shipping.
    That rifle made a good project and now shoots great.
    I guess I am more of a Firearms " Recycler " than a Gunsmith.
    Last edited by LAGS; 11-20-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Boolit Bub
    https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/

This is a good forum for all things Muzzleloading

Boolit Master
    See if you can find a member here named "The Mazo Kid" as I got a brand new GM 45 caliber fast (1 in 18) twist barrel several years ago and I hear he has rifles, parts and all sorts of things in the great white north!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    You are trying to be cheap on the most important parts of the gun.
    yeah guess I am but they are the most expensive and the ones I can't make myself . Would I like i chambers lock ? Heck yeah but I can get by with a used LR or other lock that is used and someone wants to upgrade heck I can shoe a frizzen if needed if it don't spark well same with the barrel I don't need a new barrel either I can retro fit something for my needs long as it's not a rust bucket . But I see the point your trying to make
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

I have drawers full of used and take off M/L parts...most come from guns that were feces in the first place or they are broken and need repair. I don't get USED quality locks for the reason that they just keep working. I have English locks that came form guns with blown barrels or drive overs that are like new inside after a hundred or more years of use and I have used locks from 1930's Belgian doubles that are only good for replacement parts. Same with barrels, I have yet to replace a Bill Large barrel but I have a pile of CVA's in the corner.

I once built a pistol for $50.00 in parts... Stock cut from a maple stump we cut down in the back yard and cured for 3 years, Barrel from a smoothbore blank hand rifled on a home made rifling bench, inlays cut from scrap brass from a irrigation pump, sights hand forged in the shop same for the trigger and keys, lock from Siler parts cut and modified for the pistol size. Add to that the shop and about 100 hours of work.

Guns are just like computers GIGO. Better you buy your parts in kit form and spend the time on fit and finish. If it wil help PM me and I will donate a 7/8" barrel blank from a rebarreled gun that went from 50 to 40.

Boolit Buddy
    Numrich gun parts has some parts. You need to search a bit.

Boolit Master
    S&S Firearms Glendale (Queens) NY. 718-497-1100 They are good and they are helpful. Good luck.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD