RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55 with jacketed deer bullets?

Boolit Master

6.5x55 with jacketed deer bullets?

I have a 96 swede for many years and never messed with it. I got the urge this past year to change all that. Shot some cast and its fun fun fun! But for where I hunted this year my longest shot would be 250-300 yards. I heard many say shoot only flat base bullets in these and what is a good proven(hunting) flat base bullet for a 6.5x55 ? I scored and yes it was 250 yards but had dismal jacketed performance.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I have hunted since 1985, with a 6.5 Swede I built. I have taken over 40 deer here and in other states. I started off using the 140 gr BTSP, and ever deer dropped in its tracks, but I did not like the 300 and out trajectory. I did load development for 2 years. I ended up using the 120gr Sierra SP, flat base boring cup and core bullet. This is what I have used for hunting ever since. I took several deer over 300yds, none made it more than 50 yds, most died in their tracks. Last year I took the longest shot ever on a whitetail, 510 yds. I was recovering after hip surgery, and was hunting from my truck with a special permit in a big hayfield of my neighbors. I had shot the range to a big old beech tree at the back corner of the field and go 517. About 15 minutes later a 5 point walks out and starts rubbing his head on a licking limb. By the time I get on him, he has started walking away and stopped, quartering away. I held my crosshair about 3" over his back, and at the shot he mule kicked and went over the hill out of sight. We found him dead just over the hill. The bullet had entered behind the last rib, took out all the vitals, and blew the right front leg off above the knee. I cant ask for better performance. I use 3031, 40 grs by the book and Winchester wlr primers, and seat the base of the bullet, at the bottom of the neck. Hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    I forgot to add, I had my scope zeroed 3" high at 100, dead on at 300, and about 12" low at 500yds. I shoot in this field all the time, groundhog hunting and coyote hunting, plus me and the owner just love to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    I never used it for Hunting but had the Hornday 143gr. ELD-X recommended to me. It was Hornady's response to demand for a match grade 6.5x55 bullet that expands reliably for hunting. Extremely high BC, they claim highest in class doppler radar confirmed.

It's NOT a flat base bullet, and I never heard anything about needing to have a flat base bullet in the Swedes. The shooting I did with my m96 and this bullet is some of the most accurate jacketed loads I've made.

Hornady bullets are fairly good value when compaired to what other manufacturers are asking for match grade hunting boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    As a side note, what was your cast load you were using in it? There's much I've read about and has been written here about the difficulty in getting good results with cast in that caliber.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for jacketed info. For cast I bought the lee cruise from midsouth and immediately milled to 145 gr boolit. I make my own gc's and fit them on by using a push thru die. I was using WC872 pulled powder (half casefull) and the rest of space was filler. At 70 yards it was easy to stay in 1 1/2 inch when I did my part. I read alot of the 6.5 fray and I figure if better men than me cannot get good results than I doubt I can. I only shoot cast in this gun for legit trigger time.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I forgot to add, I had my scope zeroed 3" high at 100, dead on at 300, and about 12" low at 500yds. I shoot in this field all the time, groundhog hunting and coyote hunting, plus me and the owner just love to shoot.
    I use 250 yard 0 for my flatter cartridges, which is close to your zero hold.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

As to jacketed bullet hunting loads for my own 6.5 Swede M38 "Scout" rifle for deer and antelope I've come to find the Hornady 129 SP (cup/core with Interlok) to give the best external and terminal ballistics. I have use the Remington 120 Corelok, the Speer and Sierra 120 SPs and Speer, Sierra and Hornady 140s (both FB and BT'd) in the 2500 to 2700 fps and, while they performed ok, I though the 6.5 was capable of better. I found it with the 129 gr Hornady SP. Accuracy is excellent and with IMR4831 the velocity for excellent external ballistics. The bullet expands well yet holds together with good mush rooming at longer range and at close range.

Note: I have pressure tested these loads in 2 different rifles with original M38 barrels and chambers. I developed the load and measured the pressures to CIP MAP levels which is 55,000 psi (transducer). SAAMI MAP is 51,000 psi (transducer) so while a bit over the SAAMI MAP these loads don't exceed the CIP MAP. In modern barrels with tighter bores with shorter throats the pressures should be higher so the loads should be worked up to.

My loads using Winchester 6.5x55 cases and WLR primers;

Bullet: Hornady 129 SP
    Cartridge OAL: 2.965"

IMR 4831: 49.5 gr
    Velocity (24.7" barrel): 2927 fps muzzle

IMR 4350: 47 gr
    Velocity (24.7" barrel): 2810 fps Muzzle

I also have found the Hornady 140 gr SP to be an excellent bullet for larger deer and elk when loaded over 49 gr H4831SC giving 2745 fps at close to the CIP MAP out of the same M38 rifle.

Attachment 251529
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Have a new to me full stocked M96 with a 18" barrel and I'm thinking that the Nosler Long Range Accubond 129 or 142 grain bullets might be just the ticket. Nosler designed them to expand at 1300 fps, but will hold together like a bonded bullet will. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.<BG>

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    I never used it for Hunting but had the Hornday 143gr. ELD-X recommended to me. It was Hornady's response to demand for a match grade 6.5x55 bullet that expands reliably for hunting. Extremely high BC, they claim highest in class doppler radar confirmed.

It's NOT a flat base bullet, and I never heard anything about needing to have a flat base bullet in the Swedes. The shooting I did with my m96 and this bullet is some of the most accurate jacketed loads I've made.

Hornady bullets are fairly good value when compaired to what other manufacturers are asking for match grade hunting boolits.
    Not in the Swede but I used the 143 gr ELD-X in the 6.5 Creedmoor with excellent results on Wisconsin whitetail
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Like LarryI use the Hornady 129 gr Interlock and have for over 30 yrs in my Swede ‘94 carbine. My load has been 39 gr of IMR 4064. I’ve used this gun as my loaner deer rifle and truck gun mostly. I’ve killed more white tails any coyotes than I can remember since it’s the one I always had with me. It’s very handy in an enclosed blind due to it’s 17 inch barrel. Velocity with this load is only a little over 2500 FPS but it seems to expand quite well to 250 yds.

I shot my pet Swede constantly until I popped a primer less powder sticking a bullet in the throat. The gunsmith wound up beating it out with a hammer. He used a correctly sized rod so we hopefully didn't flex the rod in the chamber. That was when I really began not favoring jacketed bullets. We ruined the accuracy. I've wondered if we missed some technique that day. I have another Swede but it doesn't whisper to me at night like my cripple did/does.

Boolit Master
    My experience mirrors Larry Gibson's also. I've been messing with 6.5x55 milsurps since the 70's, then graduated to a first generation M70 Featherweight, and now a Ruger 1A. Both of the latter wear Leupold 1.5-5x's. The one bullet that returned favorable consistent accuracy and downrange performance has been the Hornady 129 Spire Point. It is my go-to bullet again this year. I too found IMR-4831 to be well nigh perfect for the Swede and this bullet. I'm fairly certain I was turned onto the powder for 6.5x55 use by an old Ken Waters article- but I could be mis-remembering that. My load is 47 grains, which yields 2700 fps chrono'ed in my tight chambered guns- more than that and I start getting what I believe to be pressure signs (but without means of testing same I could be all wet). 2" high @100, dead on at 200, 8-9" low at 300 (which is about the max distance I'll encounter- I can employ Kentucky elevation there if it comes to it).

I've been getting excellent results with the Lapua 139 Scenar and the Berger 130 VLD hunting bullets. I would have probably gone with the Bergers this year but I got too late of a start working with them. Accuracy is a skinch better with them over the Hornady 129's (3/4" vs. consistent 1"), but in the real world that is splitting hairs.

The 6.5x55 with jacketed bullets is my gun of choice when hunting a couple farms in upstate PA where cross-field shots are a definite possibility. For other more close-in hunting in Western Maryland I usually grab a Savage lever gun or two in .303 or .30-30, stoked with 190 grain FN cast bullets.

Load some Hornady 140's for a buddy to hunt with, Reloder 22, mid 40's grain load. He was extremely pleased with the performance. Slight quartering shot from the left. IIRC his description was front left shoulder destroyed the tops of both lungs and a chunk of the heart before departing for parts unknown through the rear of the right shoulder. All the load data was on the box. I usually put it in my load book, forgot that one, next time I'm at his place I'll get the load particulars.

During sight-in he shot 1 from a cold clean barrel, second 15 minutes later, third 15 minutes later. Had a nice cloverleaf at @100 yards. Shoot accurately and the bullet performed well.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess it's time for some load/range work for this old Girl.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191128-074027_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	252082

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191128-074019_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	252083

CG 1904 M96.
    Got-R-Did.

Boolit Master

I've got a 260 REM (souped up 6.5 x 55) and I got good luck both targets and on deer with the Sierra 120sp like Koger. I stopped experimenting when I found it worked.

Depends on what I am hunting, weight and body wise on the animal, as to what type of bullet I am going to use and also the type of terrain will dictate my scope setting. I primarily use Hornady bullets for this because I have found them to be economical, accurate, and perform as expected on game. I also use Woodleigh bullets, but those can be a tad expensive. On small deer and pronghorn, I use the 129 gr IL or the 129 gr SST and this is dependent upon woods terrain or open terrain. On larger bodied deer, caribou, or hogs, I use the 140 gr SST or Woodleigh 140 gr PPRN. On moose or any of the bears where penetration is a necessity, I use the 160 gr IB or 160 gr Woodleigh PPRN. The rifle I use is a Tikka T3 in 6.5x55SE and I load to modern pressures in it, so it will surpass any of the modern 6.5 cartridges out there, except the magnums. I also have a Norwegian Krag-Jorgensen carbine and an 1896 Swedish Mauser that I shoot a 160 gr PB Lee Cruise Missle. Good luck and stay safe!

Boolit Grand Master

I have taken Mule deer with the swede with jacketed 129 grain Hornady no problems In addition I have put down cows with the same load, brain shot bullet went to the shoulder broke 3 neck bones and weighed 100 grains when recovered.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Someone back in the day used the full metal jacketed 6.5x55 to brain shoot elephants in Africa. Name escapes me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    6.5x55 Swede is one of the best cartridges out there. I have an old sporterized one and a Kreiger barrel I swap on and off a Savage 110.
    Best performance I have had is with the longer heavy bullets. Hornady 160's and some 6.5 ELD's come to mind. I never noticed difference in FB vs BT accuracy.
    The 160gr Hornady was the bullet of preference for the old 6.5 Carcano as well.
    So many toys........so little time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast