Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk front sight?

Boolit Bub

Blackhawk front sight?

Hey guys I pucked up a sbh 44 a little while back. Got a really good deal on it I think. But turns out maybe not. It looks like somebody had ground down the front sight. I can not get the rear sights to adjust enough to sight it in at 35yds. Ive tried many loads 44mag and 44spl. The best i can get out of the sights is 8in high. Some previous owner must have either shot some ultra low powered loads or shot it at way longer range than im comfortable with to grind down the sight that far. Im curious what the best option would be to get a new sight installed? Is there a good smith that can handle it fairly easily and timely. Or is it best to send it back to the factory. Ive tried building it up with a couple different epoxys now. Nothing will stay on for any duration though. Any ideas would be great.

Adam

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I would send it back to the factory unless you have a local smith who can mill a standard 3/8" dovetail slot in the existing sight base so that you can install a replacement high front sight. Not sure where you are, but John Taylor has done similar work for me and made a new front sight from scratch.

Attachment 251476
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    It might be a cheap and easy fix to try filing down the rear sight, or replacing the rear blade with a shorter one.

Howard

I have had a few modified with the front sight blade cut off and the base milled with a grove in it to take a Ruger front blade. A small roll pin holds the new blade in.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    I live in NW North Dakota. Does anybody know a shop they'd recommend somewhat close. I can send it by mail too to a quality shop. Like to get it fixed so i can shoot it accurately. I appreciate the info.

Adam

Boolit Master

A shameless plug here for our own 2Dogs who makes some nice front sights for various pistols. I just happened to butt dial him yesturday and he called back to see if he could do anything for me. I explained the situation and he ran his idea he put together for a Black Friday Special. Give him a jingle.

PM sent.

Boolit Master
    I have a .45 Blackhawk convertible that has the same issue. I think it was a known problem a number of years ago.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

If you send it back to Ruger they can put a new barrel on it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

Am I missing something? I cant remember ever seeing a blackhawk or superblackhawk without a removable front sight. It looks like most were either a screw, or a roll pin.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Am I missing something? I cant remember ever seeing a blackhawk or superblackhawk without a removable front sight. It looks like most were either a screw, or a roll pin.
    The stainless have a blued sight secured with a roll pin , and the single six has a screw.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    The stainless have a blued sight secured with a roll pin , and the single six has a screw.
    So what's the problem? Just replace the front sight with a new one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    So what's the problem? Just replace the front sight with a new one.
    The blued blackhawks do not have a removable front sight al least not for most of us I wish they did.

Boolit Grand Master

Whoops. Well I would look into having it milled off and a dovetail slot cut then.

Boolit Master
    based on my calculations it would need to be a minimum of 38 thousands higher per a 6" sight radius, more if its longer less if its a shorter sight radius, plus a bit more for loads that are further off, plus a bit more so your not fully down on the rear all the time. maybe that helps something

Boolit Grand Master

A quick Fix that might work for you is to build up the front sight taller than you need it and file back in. Here a couple pieces of flat aluminum and small clamp. Will be need. JB weld mixed with fine steel filings, ( this should allow it to blue) or solder. Rough up the top surface of the blade with a file or sand paper Coat the small aluminum flats with a release agent several times and clamp on each side of front sight with a small clamp. A parallel clamp works well. Mix the JB and add the fine filings mixing well. Work well into "slot" between flats well working air out with a tooth pick or bamboo skewer. When cured remove plates and clean up sight in and blue or paint/dye. Or, clean front blade to bright metal, clamp aluminum to it each side flux heat and build up with solder to where it can be cleaned up to zero. here you will have a silver tipped blade.

The JB way can be done pretty easily in the shop or reloading room. A vise to hold the pistol in gives a third hand and helps a lot. Once cured and fitted the JB will absorb paint and hold it well or if filings are added blue. If going with the filings mix some and find the ratio you need first before the sight. Either the JB or solder will file in easily and finish easily, with just fine files and or hand tools.

If you wanted a brass bead the sight could be cut down to make it "square" and low temp braze used instead of solder and cut to height.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's a silly idea. Do you own a screwdriver? Is your front sight Ruger original? You could always buy one of these for $8.69 plus shipping and install it yourself.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004313733?pid=187825

This is the factory Ruger Front Sight Base and Post for .44 magnum. I suggest blue loctite on the screw.

Or is yours different? Could you post a picture of it?

Boolit Master
    "I have had a few modified with the front sight blade cut off and the base milled with a grove in it to take a Ruger front blade. A small roll pin holds the new blade in. "

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

On a BLUED Ruger SBH,, the front sights are silver soldered on. Removal & replacement will also require a reblue. They are not screwed on.
    Another option is to gently heat the original one, remove it & D&T the bbl for a screw on sight,, but there is the issue some folks have with higher pressure loads & the small possibility of D&Ting too deeply.

By far,, the most common method is to go the route of milling off the rest of the blade,, having a groove cut for a replaceable blade & install a new blade.

There is a similar question on the ruger forum dot com,,, where member Hondo offers an EXCELLENT tutorial on how to DIY using a Dremel. Look in either the revolver section or the gunsmithing section. I do believe it's in the revolver section. If you can't find it,, PM me & I can send you a copy. I saved it for future reference for folks.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    "I have had a few modified with the front sight blade cut off and the base milled with a grove in it to take a Ruger front blade. A small roll pin holds the new blade in. "

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

On a BLUED Ruger SBH,, the front sights are silver soldered on. Removal & replacement will also require a reblue. They are not screwed on.
    Another option is to gently heat the original one, remove it & D&T the bbl for a screw on sight,, but there is the issue some folks have with higher pressure loads & the small possibility of D&Ting too deeply.

By far,, the most common method is to go the route of milling off the rest of the blade,, having a groove cut for a replaceable blade & install a new blade.

There is a similar question on the ruger forum dot com,,, where member Hondo offers an EXCELLENT tutorial on how to DIY using a Dremel. Look in either the revolver section or the gunsmithing section. I do believe it's in the revolver section. If you can't find it,, PM me & I can send you a copy. I saved it for future reference for folks.
    I have a 10" blued SBH that I bought NIB from a dealer. It is a one owner gun. It has exactly the front sight that I recommended in my previous post. I also own 2 other SBH- 1 blue, 1 Stainless- that have a silver soldered base and a pinned front blade.

Ruger is no different than any other gun manufacturer in that nothing is carved in stone. Just like Winchester, Smith & Wesson and Colt, Ruger has made guns with a myriad of variations over the years.

This is part of what makes collecting so fun and challenging!

And if the OP wants a truly original look, he can send it back to Ruger who will happily repair to factory new condition.

Boolit Master
    Any idea what Ruger charges to fix this? Do they actually install a new barrel?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    I've been doing the JB Weld build up for many years but Fermin (2dogs) is a much better way to go. Have him narrow it to 1/10" while you're at it & he will have it back to you in no time. It will be a post style front sight & you will love the workmanship.

Dick