Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Looking for data for 41 mag

Looking for data for 41 mag

Hi guys, new to castboolits and recently received a new to me Lyman 41 2 cavity. I dont shoot enough to entice me into buying new load manuals, yeah I know I really should!
    Anyhow if any of you would share a nice middle of the road load for 210gr with any & all powders I'd appreciate it. I'm looking for something that will work out of my Blackhawk and my Henry. Thanks!

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I use H-110 for my carbine, not a Henry. And I use 2400 for my revolvers. Just seems to work well for the last 40 years.
    You can go to Hodgdon Powder Co. website for H-110 and the Alliant Powder site for 2400.

OH!!! and Welcome to Boolits!!!

Boolit Master

Back in my IHMSA days, IMR4227 was my 'go to' for cast in the .41 Mag. Notes inside the cover of my (1982) 'IHMSA Reloading Guide" indicate 15.0 gr. under a 238 gr. NEI boolit for a 'bowling pin' load...probably around 900 fps. Won't post the load I used for those steel critters back then...it was more than 'just a bit' over the Speer #10 Manual's "Do Not Exceed".

Bill

Welcome aboard.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Moderator Emeritus

GunnyMack,
    Welcome to the forum.

You should reconsider getting a good cast bullet reloading manual, like the Lyman cast bullet handbook 4th Ed, which I think is one of the very best. Not only for Data, but for all the other info too. You don't mention your experience level with loading cast bullets, but since you don't have a cast bullet specific manual, I suspect that you are very new to this. There are a few differences with loading practices that you will learn when you read the first half of the Lyman manual, that will help you avoid some problems.

If I haven't convinced you? ...well I understand, here is a thread with exactly what info you asked for, Good Luck.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ad-Data-Center
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

4227 is one of my favorites. It is one of the few powders I keep finding as I research 41 loads. Thanks fellers!

JohnB, I'm in no way new to reloading however my cast reloading has been a long time since. I'll pick up #4 - I'm just CHEAP!! I'm primarily a shotgun shooter but I have a bunch of rifles, .17 Rem up to 450 Bushmaster and I load for all my rifles and pistols. ( my avatar is a single six 44 special) I also smith, do custom woodwork.
    Oh and thanks for the warm welcome!

Boolit Grand Master

While I use H110 and 2400 for full power hunting loads my most used cast bullet load for my 41 magnum is 8.5 gr Unique under either the TL410-210-SWC or the 41-210-SWC. That load runs 1150 fps out of my 7 1/2" barreled Ruger Bisley.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

From my notes 1975 to 1987... H110, 2400, Unique, Red Dot, IMR 4227 in Various weights behind cast bullets Lyman 210 semi wadcutter. Most of these were shot in a Smith Model 41 6 inch. PM me for the exact charges, but remember this was with powders made 40 or more years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome to the family Gunny. Several 41 fans here. I use 5.5 grains of Titegroup for medium 210 SWC loads in both my Smith and Henry. H110, 2400 or VVN105 for magnum loads.

Bullseye, Red Dot for mild, Unique for just right, and H110/W296 for wild is how I roll my .41 Blackhawk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Found some data for CFE PISTOL , 215gr cast- I tried this with jacketed and wasnt impressed by it but I have a whole can so this might be a good use for it!?

Boolit Grand Master

41 Magnum - Target and Plinking Loads

Any 215 grain or 220 grain SWC boolits (size .410) or
    the NOE 413-215-WC (413432) is a favorite of mine .

4.8 grs. Bullseye
    4.9 grs. TiteGroup
    5.2 grs. Red Dot

These loads = 750-800 fps w/ 6 1/2 in. bbl. in Ruger Blackhawk , perfect for taking paper targets and tin cans .

A heavier load in the 900 fps range is any of the 215 gr. - 220 gr.
    cast lead boolits over 7.5 grs. Unique .
    My pet load in the model 58 in my avatar . This load came from Elmer Keith, his advice was " Try 7.0 to 8.0 grains of Unique ." I did and settled on 7.5 grains as the "just right" load . A five shot group could be covered with a quarter .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 11-20-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

7.2 GR of Unique works well in my 4 5/8 BH with a 210gr boolit
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    7 gr of unique, 7 gr of herco, 7 gr of 800x, 10 gr of Hs6...all work for me and my .41s

Another for 4227 here but 2400 works too.

Thanks guys, seems the winners are 4227, 2400. I have on hand, 800x, 4227, cfe pistol. Think I'm going to start with the cfepistol since I have the most of it.
    Finally got around to lubing yesterday, have 2 bottles of Alox, one brand new but 15 years old. I put some mineral spirits in to thin it- I couldn't find the partial bottle. As I'm shaking the bottle it flies out of my hand, hits the floor and the bottom breaks!now I'm very happy it was thicker than a libatard skull!! Anyhow I then found the open bottle, transferred some to it and salvaged what I could.

Boolit Man

Gents,

Thirty-five years or so ago, I did quite bit of .41 Magnum shooting with a 6 1/2-inch-barreled Ruger Blackhawk. My "hot" load, intended for game shooting, used H-110 powder and either a 210-grain jacketed bullet or a Lyman cast semi-wadcutter that usually weighed 219 grains out of my double-cavity mold.

I chronographed the cast bullet load at more than 1300 FPS, and it shot accurately enough to suit me at 70 to 100 yards. Using pretty much the same powder charge of H-110 under the 210-grain jacketed bullets also shot well, and I ended up shooting meat-for-the-pot pronghorn with it.

It's worth noting that loads with Lyman cast bullet, crimped in the crimp grove, measured very slightly longer than listed overall maximum cartridge length for the .41 Magnum. My Ruger revolver gobbled them up anyway, but a big Desert Eagle semi-auto pistol choked on them.

My "fun load" back then ran the Lyman cast slug atop 6.5 grains of Green Dot powder. That load was an absolute pleasure to shoot -- cheap, accurate as snot, with just enough recoil to feel good. I recall one particularly wet spring when a muddy, clay bank behind the house served as a handgun plinking range. I'd toss beer cans (empty, of course) 20 or 25 yards out on the mud, and then marvel at how high I could make them fly by placing the Lyman semi-wadcutters just underneath them in the clay.

The Green Dot plinking load would toss those cans many, many feet into the air, propelled by energetic clots of clay spanked by the flat-nosed slugs.

Unfortunately, my large-bore magnum handgun shooting pretty much ended a dozen or so years ago when an accident resulted in the surgical "rearrangement" of the bones in my right hand and wrist.

The surgery not only ended a bow-hunting career, but it came with the admonition to shoot no handgun heavier than the 9mm Luger.

In a determined effort continue handgun deer hunting, at least in a reduced form, I set about trying to develop a lighter .41 load that still produced 500 foot-pounds of energy. I settled on a load of 7.8 grains of Unique powder under the Lyman slug, cast of a somewhat softer alloy than used previously. The load shot with what I considered superb accuracy (benched 100-yard scoped groups of 4 inches and sometimes slightly less), and offered a recoil level my gimpy hand and wrist was able to tolerate for at least a few shots at a time.

Unfortunately, I've as yet not been able to plant one of the semi-wadcutters in a whitetail ribcage, so the Unique load's actual worth in the game fields remains untested by me.

All that said, I'm sure you'll enjoy the .41 Magnum. It's a great, versatile revolver cartridge.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --
    Last edited by Cary Gunn; 11-26-2019 at 12:13 AM.

Good to hear you are back out there trying to put meat in the freezer even with your injuries! I wound up with a cast on my left arm on my 26th birthday, 4 weeks in fingers to mid bicep cast then from elbow to fingers for 4 weeks, then I could hold my bow( barely) and I got back out there. I was shooting a longbow then.
    Got my Lyman #4 yesterday!

Boolit Man

Howdy GunnyMack,

Bet you'll be pleased with your new Lyman mold.

I got a chuckle out of your frustration with Lee Liquid Alox; it can be cantankerous stuff to work with until thinned by warmth, or a liquid thinner, or both. I usually open the spout on the bottle and warm it in the microwave oven before trying to squirt it on a pile of bullets.

I also usually thin it down a bit with the addition of paint thinner or, believe it not, Johnson's liquid floor wax. The latter concoction is often referred to as "Ben's Liquid Lube," in deference to the gun crank who popularized it.

Also glad to hear you were able to return to bow hunting following your arm injury. I doubt I'll ever be able to do that, but I have toyed with the concept of coming up with a device that would transfer the force of drawing a bow directly to the upper right arm and back muscles, by-passing my gimpy hand/wrist joint.

My thinking is to combine a hand-held, trigger-operated string release with a system of straps that would transfer the draw weight directly from the string release to the elbow and upper right arm, totally by-passing the right hand and forearm. So far, it hasn't progressed beyond the "brain-storming" stage, and probably won't.

But this forum thread is supposed to be about loading cast bullets in the .41 Magnum, not the rehabilitation of crippled bow hunters. So, I guess I'll shut up for now.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --