MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Loadmaster Indexing Issue

Boolit Buddy

Loadmaster Indexing Issue

I am having issues getting my loadmaster to index properly. I have narrowed it down to shell plate design.

The top shell plate is for 45acp and works very well no indexing issues. The bottom shell plate is my 9mm, 5 times out of 10 it will not index properly.

Any ideas?

The issues seems to be when the indexing bar is pushed out on the down stroke it is getting in a bind and won’t push in when the handle comes forward. I can usually raise the ram to about midway up and reset the bar and it’s a 50/50 shot on it working correctly.

I can load 500 rounds of 45acp with out an issue, switch tool holder and shell plate to 9mm and it won’t even index correctly empty. (I have the priming system, and case feeder removed for both setups).

I have loaded several thousand .223, 45acp, and 9mm on this press with out this issue over the last few years. This issue has only been a recent development. I have checked, cleaned, and inspected everything I can think of.

Just trying to get this thing to work enough to load some IDPA rounds until I can buy a Dillon 750.

Boolit Master
    Loadmaster videos.com

The flat spring thing that is under the thumb nut that holds the shell plate down is bent. The little arm that falls into the divot on the top side of the shell plate is supposed to keep the shell plate from moving backwards. That arm is bent slightly and is letting the shell plate backup just slightly and that us creating the bind. Temporary fix is to bend the finger back out a little bit. Permanent fix is to replace it.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, I hadn’t thought to look at the “detent” spring part. I had looked at the ejector side before and it was bent. I also looked at the straightness of the indexing rod and it has a slight bend to it on the “pushing” end. I was able to get it running better with the adjusted parts. It’s indexing 100% again but it’s not very smooth, going to order new replacement pieces today.

Boolit Master

There was a whole thing on the shell plates that look like your 9mm at the loadmaster site mentioned above, all of mine look like the 45 picture you show above, I have quite a few. Lots of good information there to troubleshoot issues with these presses there.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks or the website info, I watched all the videos and read many many threads. I have managed to get the press working well including the priming system (which I abandoned years ago), as well as the case feeder. I can spit out more rounds in less time now.

Boolit Master
    Good job

Glad you are getting good results from the Video's and help from the various threads. I had 2 Loadmaster presses several decades back in the 90's and the "pawl" or flat spring as one person called it can be a vexing problem as it looks ok but frequently is bent or "slightly warped" and does not engage correctly. If the failure to index problem occurs again (and it might) keep in mind the "pawl" problem which Lee used to mention on their trouble shooting list can be the source. If you actually cured the priming flaws Congratulations. I switched over to Dillon presses over a couple of decades ago primarily because of the inconsistencies of the Loadmaster presses. I formerly loaded over 10K round per year and the versatility and easy change overs of the Loadmaster finally could not offset some of the problems you mention. Hopefully you are on your way to smooth operations but remember you reload to save money and time and a "blue" press can be a smart investment over a year or so of reloading.
    regards,

Boolit Buddy
    Still planning on getting a Dillon for my 9mm consumption needs. This at least buys me some time to afford one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvdmacdaddy View Post
    Still planning on getting a Dillon for my 9mm consumption needs. This at least buys me some time to afford one.
    I used a loadmaster many years at one time I would have 4 to 6 guys show up at my home a couple of times a month we would have 4 different presses running at a time , a pro1000 a loadmaster and 2 single stage , to keep all of us shooting . We had a good time.
    But I don't miss the Loadmaster .
    You will enjoy your Dillon when you get it.

Boolit Buddy

Check this guy's info. It really helped me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Dqpfrt5fI

Quote Originally Posted by Dvdmacdaddy View Post
    I am having issues getting my loadmaster to index properly. I have narrowed it down to shell plate design.

The top shell plate is for 45acp and works very well no indexing issues. The bottom shell plate is my 9mm, 5 times out of 10 it will not index properly.

Any ideas?

The issues seems to be when the indexing bar is pushed out on the down stroke it is getting in a bind and won’t push in when the handle comes forward. I can usually raise the ram to about midway up and reset the bar and it’s a 50/50 shot on it working correctly.

I can load 500 rounds of 45acp with out an issue, switch tool holder and shell plate to 9mm and it won’t even index correctly empty. (I have the priming system, and case feeder removed for both setups).

I have loaded several thousand .223, 45acp, and 9mm on this press with out this issue over the last few years. This issue has only been a recent development. I have checked, cleaned, and inspected everything I can think of.

Just trying to get this thing to work enough to load some IDPA rounds until I can buy a Dillon 750.

Quote Originally Posted by mdatlanta View Post
    Check this guy's info. It really helped me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Dqpfrt5fI
    YES A DOZEN TIMES OVER. After I posted the other day I perused You Tube for recent videos on the Loadmaster. My experience came from several years of loading upwards of 10K rounds a year on the Loadmasters that I had over a couple of decades ago. Time makes the memory sputter and old age contributes to fuzziness but the Link is spot on.

MDATLANTA really has connected with a common sense posting link by a guy who had me saying "thats right and "o yeah I forgot about that" Anyone loading on the Loadmaster could benifit from the relatively short explanations and examples in the video. It is good Knowledge Base ( I know I stole that from somewhere) for any serious reloader who wants some answers without engineering or machinist background. Thanks for the post.
    regards,

Boolit Buddy
    The older type (your 45acp sheel plate) has less bearing surface and therefore causes wear and deformation of the carrier, especially if you tend to over tighten the draw bolt.

Clean up the carrier boss that the shell plate rotates on - the shell plate should spin with very little friction when just sitting on the carrier.

You also should inspect the indexer for burrs or rough surfaces.

Boolit Buddy
    The older type (your 45acp sheel plate) has less bearing surface and therefore causes wear and deformation of the carrier, especially if you tend to over tighten the draw bolt.

Clean up the carrier boss that the shell plate rotates on - the shell plate should spin with very little friction when just sitting on the carrier.

You also should inspect the indexer for burrs or rough surfaces.

Boolit Buddy

Have two Lee Loadmasters! The priming systems drive me crazy! Lee should have sent the Loadmaster press to the North Koreans! They would all be nuts by now. We would not have to worry about dictator Kim shooting his rockets! He would be mumbling about his Lee Loadmaster press! Y

The little plastic priming parts are always getting bent and jamed and broken!