WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Over-run with wild turkeys

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    Try throwing some firecrackers out there in the flock. They make a HUGE mess in your yard.
    Our wild turkeys have zero fat and are hard to cook without completly drying them out.
    Personally. I dont like the flavor near as good as store bought or one of our home raised turkeys and they are way tougher. The ranch dressing thing sounds pretty nasty.
    I lay a pound of bacon strips over the breast when cooking them. Keeps them moist.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    The wild turkeys around here only the breast meat is edible. I prefer to cut into strips, bread and fry in oil then eat with fry sauce (mayo mixed with ketcup for those of you not from idaho)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mica_Hiebert View Post
    The wild turkeys around here only the breast meat is edible. I prefer to cut into strips, bread and fry in oil then eat with fry sauce (mayo mixed with ketcup for those of you not from idaho)
    Bunk! Maybe they are tougher out west, but to throw away everything but the breast is just wrong.

Boolit Grand Master
    I hate the dumb things. Friend of ours feeds them and they run up to us when we exit the car to get fed.

Supposed to taste good though.
    Don Verna

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    The ones down here ( N/Fla) are pretty tasty, soak in butter milk make for good table fair ; )
    H/D

Thanks for all of the very good advice about food preparation, as well as the advice about the legality issues. I’m going to contact fish and game first. If they don’t want me shooting them, I won’t. If they give me permission, I will shoot and EAT them. Enough of you have remarked on how well they eat for me to give it a try. At the same time, if anything is “ coming right for me” with spurs and wings, I may make a command decision. After all, self defense trumps everything in my book, even if more so than the right to protect my property from some critter that has the strange idea that HE owns it. Thanks again guys.. much appreciated

Jim

Boolit Master
    SES ,,,,( shoot Eat shutup)
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

A quick search shows Idaho offers private land owner depreciation permits. It looks like the season starts December 1st. That should work.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I put the legs and back in a crock put, cook the meat from the bone, and make turkey and rice or noodles.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I wish I had your problem of turkeys in the yard! None around here, and I bought and released 8 turkeysyears ago, but they disappeared after a few weeks, probably from coyotes.

Moderator Emeritus

About two years ago I had three seperate flocks around me. Then coyotes started becoming more numerous. They were so loud one night when I was on the phone with my girlfriend that I just said hold on a sec and fired a half dozen shots down in the holler where they were. They got quiet but another pack started up. Been quiet lately. Probably just jinxed myself or they ate everything in the area.

Reminds me of my Great Uncle John's place in OK when I was a kid! Their ranch house was in a remote area in river bottom land, and the freakin' turkeys would roost in their back yard by the hundreds! Was NOT unusual to see the damn things EVERYWHERE on the property - in the yard, the corrals, the trees, just everywhere. Yeah, Aunt Juanita could make some turkey vittles!

Boolit Mold
    Are you from S.E. Idaho North Utah? Not many people know what fry sauce is

Moderator Emeritus

I lived near Pocatello 35 years ago and was suprised to hear they had turkeys. After reading some about the G Jack flock I would not be surprised if they were brought in the same way they were introduced into Montana's Bitterroot valley. Some turkey hunters missing their hunting drove to NW MT and put a trail of corn to a horse trailer. When it had a pattern they shut the doors at 4 AM then drove it where they wanted and unloaded. There is now a 2 bird limit and many peoples yards are overrun with turkey.
    You have no legal season and no help from IFG. I assume some of your neighbors would bark at SSS. Your options involve seeing if noisemakers, predators or domestic animals drive them out. Other wise you are just fencing gardens with a high fence. Reality is the flock will be found by cougars, fox and coyotes who may just stick around. I know what I would do but don't know how close neighbors are. Fort Hall used to have some very good fireworks.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

You need tags and there is a season.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/turkey-...s-september-15

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    If they walk right up to you the odds are somebody probably hatched them from an egg or raised them from polts and their tame. I don’t know if you still can but about 10 to 15 years ago you could buy them right here at Farm and Fleet or eggs on line and raise them. I bought some eggs right off of eBay and patch them in my incubator. I raised a dozen or two of them for my buddy and I don’t remember what breed they were but they looked exactly like wild turkeys. They used to walk up full strut and knock his kids over while they would wait for the school bus every morning. He gave them to a farmer after that. What you have there are probably some tame, extremely large chickens.lol

Boolit Grand Master

Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I lived near Pocatello 35 years ago and was suprised to hear they had turkeys. After reading some about the G Jack flock I would not be surprised if they were brought in the same way they were introduced into Montana's Bitterroot valley. Some turkey hunters missing their hunting drove to NW MT and put a trail of corn to a horse trailer. When it had a pattern they shut the doors at 4 AM then drove it where they wanted and unloaded. There is now a 2 bird limit and many peoples yards are overrun with turkey.
    You have no legal season and no help from IFG. I assume some of your neighbors would bark at SSS. Your options involve seeing if noisemakers, predators or domestic animals drive them out. Other wise you are just fencing gardens with a high fence. Reality is the flock will be found by cougars, fox and coyotes who may just stick around. I know what I would do but don't know how close neighbors are. Fort Hall used to have some very good fireworks.
    I am not a turkey hunter yet, but there is a general season and a draw season on them. The turkeys were introduced by IFG 20-25 years ago with the help of IIRC N***. They have done real well here in S.E. Idaho. The general season was introduced I think in this area last year or the year before. Kinda funny that part of the people think there great and dont mind feeding them and having them do property damage and other 1/4 complains about them but wont allow hunting and the other 1/4 want them dead and there families dead.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yeah check out turkey breeds, blue slate, royal palm, and bronze. These were the domesticated ones that looked almost like the eastern wild turkey and I raised all of them. I think the bronze or royal palm are the closest.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdrglass View Post
    Are you from S.E. Idaho North Utah? Not many people know what fry sauce is
    North Central.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast