MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Over-run with wild turkeys

Over-run with wild turkeys

I have wild turkey coming out the ying , not to mention the Yang ! When ever I go outside, they come running over to me like pterodactyls. Apparently, the previous owner of my property used to feed them. They crap everywhere and are NOT spooked by a blast from my Stoeger side by side! I asked a local if they were good to eat and what he told me didn’t sound promising. He said “ I breast them out and soak’em in ranch dressing for 24 hours”. I’m thinking they must not be good eating if you have to do all that. I figure since they tear up my yard and wife’s garden, I may pop a few. After all, “ He was coming right for me” !! Is there a way to cook them up to make them eat good? Or is my neighbor just a ranch dressing lover ? ( gross ! )Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1E83EA55-1543-48BF-8F8A-7F5576B4D97D.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	251462

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know how they are out in Idaho, but here in MN wild turkey tastes like a sweet version of store bought. I pluck them, and bake them just like you would any other turkey. It's right up there with some of the best meat I've ever had, but I love turkey.

Deep fat fried and turkey jerky are my favorites.
    Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

Boolit Master

I don't hunt turkey, but a friend does and gives me meat. Love the breast meat, but drum sticks are tough!
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Take the breasts and bone the thighs, the legs and wings aren't worth much. Unless ID wild turks are very different, try one, they are very good. Our wild turkey breasts are a darker creamy color, thighs are pretty dark but meat quite good. darnded good with stove top stuffing. Shoot them just below the head, in the neck, make sure they are dead, a wounded turk will about kill you with its spurs and wings.

Deep Cajun fried sure is good. I hardly eat domestic Turkey but I love Rio Grandes. The flavor is so much better. I want to try air fried- I just need the bird......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I slice the breast meat about 1/2 thick and season to taste, fry in bacon grease on cast iron, yummm! I grind the thigh meat for chili or anything else using lean ground meat, great flavor but tough to fry. Legs are 75% tendon and bone, cook them down for soup stock. Gizzard and heart are good. They taste way to good for their own good
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I'll third or fourth deep fried..... We cut the breasts up in about 1" cubes, soak in milk for ?? whatever time they soak, and then dredge and deep fry as you normally would. Tony Chachere's in your flour dredge is a nice touch.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    Take the breasts and bone the thighs, the legs and wings aren't worth much. Unless ID wild turks are very different, try one, they are very good. Our wild turkey breasts are a darker creamy color, thighs are pretty dark but meat quite good. darnded good with stove top stuffing. Shoot them just below the head, in the neck, make sure they are dead, a wounded turk will about kill you with its spurs and wings.
    I love stovetop and farm turkeys . I pressure cook the bones for the best soup this side of Progresso. I just finished a batch of beef jerkey so that sounds doable. They walk right up to me so the shot will be easy . I’ll just go for the head with 7.5 shot. I’m sure he won’t be alive afterwards. But yeah , I’ve seen those spurs and they look quite formidable . Do you dunk’em in hot water like a chicken before plucking?

Boolit Grand Master

If you want to put the time in and "earn it"

I have plucked them ( a miserable job) soaked over night in a light salt brine. Put on rotisserie in my smoker and smoked low and slow over cherry wood chips. This can take 10-12 hours to get done thru. I tie the legs and wing with butcher string so they don't flop around. Very good smoked but takes a lot of time

Boolit Buddy
    I have only cooked one. It was very tasty. It had a stronger flavor than store bought. But still very good. I plucked it and then roasted it, unstuffed. Made soup with the carcass and a big batch of turkey enchiladas with the left overs.

The skin was to tough to eat, and plucking took forever, that was the only bad part. If I ever get another one I will skin it, cover it in bacon and roast it.

JM

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    If you want to put the time in and "earn it"

I have plucked them ( a miserable job) soaked over night in a light salt brine. Put on rotisserie in my smoker and smoked low and slow over cherry wood chips. This can take 10-12 hours to get done thru. I tie the legs and wing with butcher string so they don't flop around. Very good smoked but takes a lot of time
    Mouths watering as I read this ! May do this to a small store bought one when they go on sale after the holiday I've done whole chicken but not turkey
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

A friend of mine has the same problem, and he tells it like this, " Every year I plant tomatoes, peppers, egg plants, melons, green beans, and sweetcorn in my garden but the only thing I ever harvest out of it is turkeys."
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    What we (My Family and hunting friends) have found that works wonders on all wild fowl is to soak the meat in whole milk for 12 to 24 hrs then cook anyway you want. break the fird down ito smaller pieces and use a large Ziplock back to soak in milk, that way it doesn't take as much milk. The enzymes in the milk tenderize the meat and it will be delicious. Season anyway you desire after soaking in the fridge overnight or longer.

Watmart caries the 1.5 gallon bags if you need larger bags.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

My family loves wild turkeys, they are so much better than store bought. I ALWAYS brine mine though, this keeps the meat from drying out when cooked and also tenderizes. Prepare any way you like after brining but smoked and fried are two of my favorite. Plucking is a pain, but worth it.

Boolit Buddy
    Fillet the breast meat off the bone. You can chunk it up and deep fry, cut into strips for "chicken" strips, bake whole, whatever you like. It is good, just tougher than domestic.

Boolit Master

That is amazing how your wild turkeys are "not" wild. In our area they are very weary. I love hunting them with my 12 gauge muzzleloader. I don't like to be wasteful, but after lots of tries to "eat the whole bird", we just take the Brest and thigh meat. It gets deep fried and it is So good. Try it, you'll like it. Without proper tags here, an illegal bird can cost a thousand dollars. We are serious about pour turkeys.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

Be very careful They are a Game Bird. Which means they have a season when they can be harvested. Check with your state fish and take before shooting them. They are very good eating birds.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Try throwing some firecrackers out there in the flock. They make a HUGE mess in your yard.
    Our wild turkeys have zero fat and are hard to cook without completly drying them out.
    Personally. I dont like the flavor near as good as store bought or one of our home raised turkeys and they are way tougher. The ranch dressing thing sounds pretty nasty.

You might contact your Wildlife Department and maybe they have a reintroduction program where they can be moved to an area that DW wants to start a flock in. As game birds you have to have a tag here to take and they have seasons.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast