RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Hunting From a Tree Stand Decisions....

Boolit Buddy

First Time Hunting From a Tree Stand Decisions....

So this year will be the first year I actually rifle hunt out of a tree stand (X-Stand Duke, ladder stand), in probably over 10 years. For the last few year I have used my 300 blackout (10.5" SBR) because being on the ground the stars had to line up perfectly for a 75 yard shot, so well within the max range. BUT this summer a major storm went through, and to say it opened up my range is an understatement, I can see the better part of the 40 acres with the potential for a lot of 2-300 yard shots. I would probably self limit option 1 to a max of 350 yards (perfect broadside stopped, ect) and I would probably limit 2 & 3 to ~200 yard max (assuming stopped deer and good shot).

In addition to my Smith 44 mag (loaded with NOE 262 HTC WFN) I am torn what to take, options are:

1. Remington 700 (3.5-10x scope) in .308 Winchester (150 grain psp), mag fed
    Pros:
    Very accurate and capable of taking a clean shot anywhere I could see
    Cons:
    HEAVY (10#+), long 24" barrel +~8" suppressor, light target trigger (~14 ounces)

2. Remington 700 (2-8x scope) in 300 Blackout (110 Barnes Vor-TX) factory ammo (I know I know...no lead...that's what the 44 is for).
    Pros:
    Accurate, 3.5# trigger, ~200FPS faster then the SBR, better scope reticle then the SBR, lighter and more maneuverable then the 308.
    Cons: less "handy" then the SBR, hinged floor plate magazine, less ethical range then the .308

3. Frankenstein AR 10.5" SBR (2-7x scope) in 300 Blackout (110 Barnes Vor-TX) factory ammo
    Pros: Lightest of the 3, most compact, set up for a multi point sling, plenty accurate
    Cons: ~200 FPS slower then then option 2 (~2100fps estimate), least "ethical" range

I have ranges somewhat mapped out along required drop/wind changes. Any advice is appreciated, all three rifles will probably come up to camp and it may be a last minute decision before I hit the hey before opening day.

Boolit Master

You're stationary so the weight is only there when glassing or taking the shot.

Just my opinion.

Good luck with your hunt!

'Monkey
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    How often do you see movement or activity your extended ranges? If all or most of your action is happening within 100 then your 10.5 is a no brainier... otherwise if you really do expect to see and have the option of a shot post 150 I'd take the 308 target gun....heavy but if you know it, know when that trigger breaks and know where it'll hit at pretty much any range- I'd deal with the weight and bring it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    How often do you see movement or activity your extended ranges? If all or most of your action is happening within 100 then your 10.5 is a no brainier... otherwise if you really do expect to see and have the option of a shot post 150 I'd take the 308 target gun....heavy but if you know it, know when that trigger breaks and know where it'll hit at pretty much any range- I'd deal with the weight and bring it.

As far as movement goes...no idea, all I have to go on is tracks at this point. When I say storm damaged I mean last year it was a mature woods, lots of tall pines and a lot an trees/brush in the 8-12' high mark. After the storms went through it was cleared out, my stand is in the back corner of the 40 acre plot (in one of a small handful of surviving trees) and I can see the road in the farthest corner from me. Right now the 308 is getting the nod, at least for opening day. I think the 44 will cover the 0-50 yards pretty well and with the 308 I am the limitation not the gun/ammo.

Boolit Master

Choice # 308

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Id rather have too much then not enough, if it was me I would take the 308.
    Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guywitha3006 View Post
    As far as movement goes...no idea, all I have to go on is tracks at this point. When I say storm damaged I mean last year it was a mature woods, lots of tall pines and a lot an trees/brush in the 8-12' high mark. After the storms went through it was cleared out, my stand is in the back corner of the 40 acre plot (in one of a small handful of surviving trees) and I can see the road in the farthest corner from me. Right now the 308 is getting the nod, at least for opening day. I think the 44 will cover the 0-50 yards pretty well and with the 308 I am the limitation not the gun/ammo.
    I use 300 BLK alot, and with new solid expanders it works fantastic even at some decent distance...I use the 110 Hornady gmx (their version of the Barnes) and I can tell you assuredly it is accurate and effective at ranges out to and including 150...but I haven't tried or had opportunity past that to tell you...maybe someone on 300 BLK forum could tell you what to expect out to distance but if you have that 308...man that will hit with authority

Happy hunting and best of luck! Excited for you.

Boolit Master
    Besides the decision of a firearm. You have to have a good solid rest that is moveable quickly and quietly. To me that would be as important as the gun.

Personally I would take the .308 AND the .44 and use whatever is proper for the shot(s) presented.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Personally I would take the .308 AND the .44 and use whatever is proper for the shot(s) presented.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    The "and" 44 is a given lol.

Boolit Grand Master

308, otherwise murphys law will state youll have the 300 BLK and the deer will be 250+

I'd take the .308 in case you have to take a longer shot.

And I'd use Sierra Game Kings, Nosler partitians, or something fancy like that, and pump them up pretty high.

Anything would probably be just fine, however;
    I figure with all the time, trouble, and expenses of a hunting trip-- that all comes together with one shot.
    Skimping on ammunition is the wrong place to try and save three or four dollars.

I wouldn't trust myself in cold country wearing gloves with that light of a trigger.
    It might be practical to cut off a glove's trigger finger and keep a hand warmer thingy close.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-19-2019 at 04:11 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    if that tree stand has a rest for your long shots a rifle being heavy is a good thing, just gonna make you steadier

Nother vote for the 308 why limit yourself with the smaller BO
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I've mostly hunted from a tree stand. My shotgun weighs in at about 10lbs. It won't matter how heavy the gun is while in the stand. I use this shotgun as it gives me a 200yrd range. I vote for the 308 as it gives you max range as well.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    308, otherwise murphys law will state youll have the 300 BLK and the deer will be 250+
    Murphy's law is my biggest fear. lol

USMC 77, USRA 79

the remington in 308.... the safe choice.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would not hunt with a 24" barreled rifle that has an 8" suppressor added (if I am reading your post correctly), or a 14 oz trigger.

Buy a cheap hunting gun in .308 (Compass, Axis, SPR, Ruger), put on a decent scope, adjust trigger to 4lb, and load a good jacketed hunting bullet and be prepared for anything. If you cannot do that, I would use the M700 in .300 BO. You will not have a steady rest up in tree stand anyway so the 300+ yard shot is problematic from the get go.

No offense meant but I do not know your abelites...most people I hunt with cannot make an ethical shot beyond 250 yards under field conditions. YMMV.
    Don Verna

308, but that trigger is too light for hunting.....
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Buddy

Dverna, that may be next year's plan. It's been a busy year at work and I am guilty of neglecting to think about rifle choices. The storm damage through a wrench in the plan. Ideally next year I would set myself up with a light weight 308 Winchester with a 16-18" barrel and a decent trigger but it is not in the cards this rear.

On a side note the stand is in a large oak tree (I'm 6'1" and if I try to wrap my arms around where the stand sitting there is a good 18" or better gap between my hands) and well secured. It does also have a shooting rail on it that I think would be about as stable as a bipod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast