RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Anyone ever stretched an Encore pistol barrel to carbine length?????

Anyone ever stretched an Encore pistol barrel to carbine length?????

Ok long story short the Fiance is wanting to get into deer hunting and I am trying to put together a rig for her. She likes shooting my little 223 Rossi single shot but I am not a fan of 223 on deer so I remembered I have a 6mmBR barrel sitting in the back of the safe. After measuring it I find it to be 15" well what to do. She is recoil sensitive and has shot my 243 and doesn't really like it but she has also shot my other 6mmBr barrel which is set up for bench rest (26in and 24 power scope)and likes it just fine. My question is what kinds of opinions do you all have on trying to make this little 15inch pistol barrel a little longer so I can set it for rifle season? Also I am kind of shying away from a muzzle brake. Yes I realize this will help with any recoil but remember this is a carbine length barrel on an encore. I'm figuring with a brake it will be stupid loud. Let me know what you guys think, and also who you would recommend to do the work. I dont want to spend as much as a new barrel would be but I like good work

***as a side note if I can't make this work I would be interested in seeing if anyone had a barrel out there to trade for this one***

Thanks
    Matthew
    Last edited by cumminsnut76; 11-18-2019 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added content
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

As long as it permanent mount to barrel you'll be good . I've seen a couple with just a extension added to it to make it 16 inch .

What you need to do is make a little tube extension that can be welded on or blind pinned and then the pin welded in. Then refinish the end after cleanup. There are lots of gunsmith who can do it, but most don't advertise since its kinda cheesy. I have done it twice on stuff that didn't matter for looks and one that did. But I have a welder and a lathe. It might be easier to just get a barrel in trade...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Just my opinion, let her use the 223 if she shoots it well. Lots and lots and lots of deer have been taken with that cartridge and a suitable bullet like a 55 grain soft point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

What larger calibers do ya have? My wife was terrified of the 243, but youth reduced loads in my old rem 700 30-06 make her giggle. Plus they are deadly to 200 yards or so. Heavy guns equal reduced recoil.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

Have added length to many AR barrels. You can get flash hiders in several thread sizes, thread the barrel, screw it on and then drill a hole for a pin ( not deep enough to get to the bore). The weld the pin in, makes it permanent . I use piano wire for the pin and cut it flush with the flash hider then use a tig torch.

I'd have the barrel threaded and then blind pin on a linear comp . Won't really make a noticeable difference in recoil, but will direct some of the blast/noise away from her.

Boolit Master

Set her up with the .223, spend $20 on a box of Sierra GameKing 65 grain #1395 bullets over a 25.1gr charge of H335. Ridiculously accurate and will kill any whitetail you'll run across. Got 2 granddaughters that tag out every year with this exact recipe, if your fiance can shoot well then she can do the same. And it won't cost near what modding a barrel will cost. JMHO
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    Set her up with the .223, spend $20 on a box of Sierra GameKing 65 grain #1395 bullets over a 25.1gr charge of H335. Ridiculously accurate and will kill any whitetail you'll run across. Got 2 granddaughters that tag out every year with this exact recipe, if your fiance can shoot well then she can do the same. And it won't cost near what modding a barrel will cost. JMHO
    Well I thought about that pretty hard but I did a little checking and find that the barrel on that Rossi is 1in14 twist so I dont think it will stabilize the 65gn bullets. I guess she can shoot my AR but she hates the muzzle blast from it. That and we are still working on her shooting abilities so while i would have no trouble shooting the 223 she has some work to go on that. I like the idea of either a linear compensator or the flash hider. Any recommendations of a good smith that could do that work?
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

If you want to try out a linear comp, you can get one pretty cheap for your AR to see if that makes a difference for the muzzle blast.
    What about reduced loading data for the 243 you already own?
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master
    Ive killed many deer with factory 55 grain Remington soft points in 223. Assuming its legal in your state my current state requires 6mm minimum. As far as the encore barrel many options to have it extended I like the pinned on linear compensator idea but honestly by the time you pay the have the work done you are probably 2/3rds the way to just purchasing a new barrel in what ever caliber your like in 16-20 inches.

If it is legal to use .223 in your area why not use it?
    If you can do the work yourself to add an extension go this route if that makes you feel better.
    If not, just get a new barrel, by the time you pay someone else you will be money ahead.

Boolit Buddy
    As others have said, if the 223 is legal for deer in your area, and she shoots it accurately, there's your answer. Use the heaviest bullet your twist will stabilize and work up an accurate load with it.

You can make a gun that your fiance is confident with work really good- increasing her confidence in the process- or you can TRY to convince her to use something else. Keep it fun for her- let her use the .223. Good ammo, careful shot placement, and loving and patient coaching from you will give her a positive introduction to the sport that will keep growing for you guys as a couple.

I went through the same process 30 years ago. Yes, I lost my custom 6mm Remington Mauser 98 to my wife, but...

She and the grandkids do ALL the deer hunting in our house!

I wish you the best, cumminsnut76. That is an awesome situation to be in!

Boolit Buddy
    I have taken deer with a 1-12 twist 223 using a winchester 64 gr flat base power point bullet.Only they dont leave blood trails if they run, neck shots solve that problem. Practice, practice, practice!!!!!

Moderator Emeritus

A $200 stamp will set the frame up as a short bbl rifle and you can use all your 15" bbls.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Barnes TSX 50 grain. Will do what you need in a 1-14 twist, MY Fagen barreled Rem 600 .223 loves them easy 3/4 " at 100 and sweet work on big northern whitetails. I used them for the kids and every deer shot was recovered close within 20 yards.

They also shoot to same POI of the 36 varmint grenades made by them.

Boolit Master
    Could you trade the girlfriend for one less recoil shy?
    Aaron (just kidding )

Boolit Master
    Don't ruin a 15" 6BR barrel by trying to extent it. Let her use the 223 or get her a carbine barrel for the Encore. Nice 15" 6BR barrels aren't easy to come by.

Boolit Master

I would spend any amount of money on this project. If she is into this hunting and shooting stuff it money well spent. Aside from that I also think the 243 is the way to go with your own special loads.

If you already came to a solution, what was the solution?