Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Recipe: Garlic Squash

Moderator Emeritus

Recipe: Garlic Squash

The Garlic thread got me to thinking...because I do love Garlic.

I recall a TV episode from long ago, where Julia Childs used a crazy amount of Garlic in her Mashed Potatoes.
    30 cloves according to this link.
    https://www.keyingredient.com/recipe...shed-potatoes/

I also love Squash...Roasted Squash.
    my favorite is Delicata...here is a link to some info, if you never heard of it.
    https://www.farmersalmanac.com/delicata-squash-33154

Delicata has a sweet nutty flavor that I figured would do well with roasted Garlic.

Last night, I roasted a couple Delicata's and also roasted a whole bulb of home grown Garlic (not just one clove...all the cloves, left intact with paper).

I slice the squash in half (remove seeds) and roast it, I'll put a half Tblsp of butter in each half as they roast.

I put the garlic bulb (whole) wrapped in foil with a half Tblsp of butter and roast it.

After everything is roasted and allowed to rest for about 20 minutes, then scoop out all the squash meat and then squeeze the Garlic out of it's wrapper and put it all in a bowl and mash with a fork, add butter if it seems dry.

I don't add salt, because there is salt in the butter, but some friends said it needed more salt.

I thought this turned out awesome, the Garlic brings the squash's flavor to a "hole nuther level". I will be doing this again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Vendor Sponsor

I'd give this a shot!! Pun intended

Let me add to this.. I have some black garlic, it is fermented garlic, it is DELICIOUS!! It is soft and not unlike licorice, it's almost candy like but garlic flavored. It makes AWESOME gravy, when you have pan juices, slice it thin and mix it in then add wonder flour to make the gravy, but I'd like to make some black garlic gravy and put that over the squash I bet that would be good! Some beef stock, thin sliced black garlic, and a bit of flour to thicken. Not unlike redeye gravy and I bet you could use black garlic and just make redeye gravy and it would work. I will post if I make some.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-18-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds yummy I love my garlic

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Try garlic slaw... as much garlic as you can stand in a creamy coleslaw... this is raw garlic so this is potent stuff! I make it for BBQ's where I use a lot of spice in the rub.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Try garlic slaw... as much garlic as you can stand in a creamy coleslaw... this is raw garlic so this is potent stuff! I make it for BBQ's where I use a lot of spice in the rub.
    Wow sounds dangerous lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I add about 5 cloves, not heads and a onion softball sized to 3 mirliton squash. I boil the squash and onion til tender then mix with butter, mozarella, parmesian and bread crumbs before baking 25 minutes. Good stuff.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze