Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .35 Rem brass

This is just a what-if type of guess thinking about the way the brass was made....

Could it be that the small shoulder is of slightly greater thickness,
    and,
    with the first firing a little stretch happened in the body,
    and,
    that slightly thicker part became the very deepest part of the cylindrical bore of the neck?

Easy enough to check for if that's the case (oo, bad pun!).
    But even if so, how could it cause that much resistance?

I'm no help on this one. The reformed LC 308 to 35Rem brass I bought from Grumpa works great. It's on it's third or fourth reloading. The .762X51 LC brass I bought from him took a little extra force to resize as it had been fired in automatic weapons. This was fully disclosed before I made the purchase. Some of the primer pockets are a bit loose but I use S&B primers in these as they seem a bit larger in my experience. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    OP, which press are you using? I had issues with 06-08 LC brass and 308 dies in a Pardner press, they were still difficult to size in a RockChucker. I don't believe it was the neck, it was the body diameter after being fired in a generously sized chamber.

Look at the inside of your dies, they may have a rough finish. This could be remedied with a shotgun mop, a drill, and Flitz metal polish.

Here is how Grumpa converted the brass: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...em-done-my-way

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    During the last panic .35 Rem brass was not available period and load ammo wasn't much better.
    Interesting. I never noticed. Maybe because I stocked in a lifetime supply when Bubba was Prexy. I probably coulda made a killing selling online, at famine prices. Oh, well.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Interesting. I never noticed. Maybe because I stocked in a lifetime supply when Bubba was Prexy. I probably coulda made a killing selling online, at famine prices. Oh, well.
    That time was a catch-22 situation for me. During the start of the panic I maybe had 20 rounds of 35 Rem brass as a range pickup but I had nothing chambered in 35 Rem. Because of the ammo and brass shortage I picked up a couple of 35 Rems cheap thus I was caught with an inadequate brass supply.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Things that make you go "Hmm"- if JMB had based the .35( and the other Remington Rimless rounds) on the "06"(read 8x57) case - the .250 and .300 Savage might not have been... and .35 brass would be easier to make!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I can see why they kept it smaller than the .470" of the .30-06 family. That size would have made for a heavier gun, (bigger barrel shank, bigger receiver, etc.).

The .25, .30, and .32 were just rimless versions of the rimmed Winchester .30-30 family, (which itself derives from the Marlin/Ballard .38-55), so why did they make the .35 bigger, and at that unique? My guess is that they quickly realized that the shoulder would have been even skimpier than it is.

Was it to make the round more proprietary? Then why aren't all the others .457". Even Phil Sharpe didn't know. Maybe somewhere a memo is misfiled in the Remington archives that will shed some light......
    Cognitive Dissident

BTW the .35 Rem. shares a base diameter with the .30-40 Krag, so a rimmed .35 Remington would be super-easy. Conversely, you could make .35 Rem by machining the rim off the Krag case and cutting an extraction groove, then reforming the neck and shoulder. Trim to length and you're done.

But Krag brass hasn't been growing on trees since before WW2. Range pickups would be nonexistant, since the rare Krag shooter would carefully save every one to reload, just as we do today. Milsurp? It is to laugh.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    BTW the .35 Rem. shares a base diameter with the .30-40 Krag, so a rimmed .35 Remington would be super-easy. Conversely, you could make .35 Rem by machining the rim off the Krag case and cutting an extraction groove, then reforming the neck and shoulder. Trim to length and you're done.

But Krag brass hasn't been growing on trees since before WW2. Range pickups would be nonexistant, since the rare Krag shooter would carefully save every one to reload, just as we do today. Milsurp? It is to laugh.
    The same base should be shared with 303 Brit. And I have found quite a bit of that over the years.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12