Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red dot

Banned
    My favorite in the 45LC.

I am finding that 3.5 gr of Red Dot, with any medium weight for caliber projectile just about equals "the load" for pistol cartridges. It doesn't cycle the action on my Tokarev, but it's fine in the 45 auto and 38 special. 9mm too.

I just finished my four pound jug of Red Dot, but that was to make room for the eight pound jug of Promo I had lusted after for years. If Promo is really almost identical to Red Dot, I might finish it in my natural lifetime.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

MY BinL loves Red Dot in his .45 ACP. It'll do great in a .45 Long Colt as well. Work up to 6.5 as the recoil can be nasty if you are not prepared for it. The 6.5 230 grain SWC in a Blackhawk would be a good up close deer round.

ACC

I love Red Dot...its a little dirty...but man can it shoot...and shoot well in a wide range of cartridges both pistol and rifle. Give it a try...I think you'll love it too.

If you don't...send it to me...I'll use it for sure.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    How do you keep powder in the case when you put it over the bullet?
    You have to reverse the sights on the rifle!

Red Dot vs. Red??

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Boolit Buddy
    Red Dot is a very versatile powder . 5.0 grs in a 357 magnum case using a 158 gr cast bullet is a great target load . When I first started shooting cast in my marlin 30-30 I used red dot . I like 6.0 grs for the 44 special using the real Keith 245gr swc , HG 503 or Lyman 429421 . Regards, Paul

Boolit Master
    I have found in many cases with the calibers "I" load for & shoot, that when I see Alliant Bullseye in the list of powders, but do not see Red Dot or Promo, I can take the Bullseye data for that caliber & extrapolate for the Red Dot & Promo powders to use them instead of the Bullseye. The Red Dot & Promo powders use Less than the BE load data and one must also remain below the MAX charges, with the same ratio of the START load used of Red Dot or Promo.

( I.E. - If one takes a START load of 5.0 grains for Bullseye & then uses 4.7 grains for Red Dot & Promo then if the MAX of the BE is 10.0 grains, one needs to keep the MAX load for the Red Dot/Promo down that same amount of 0.3 gr. or more for a MAX load of 9.7 grains, or less. Less depending on what a Chrony & signs of over-pressure might show.)

I am Not recommending this to everyone. It is what "I" have done & it works for me. If one does do this, they should have a chronograph & watch for over-pressure signs, just as when using a new powder of new lot of powder.

Here is an example, and I got these loads from Alliant, for both Bullseye: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...1&cartridge=36

and Red Dot: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...4&cartridge=36

for a 45 Colt- 200 gr Speer LSWC the MAX load is 7.5grains Bullseye.

The same boolit 45 Colt-200 gr Speer LSWC the MAX load is 7.3 grains Red Dot ( Or PROMO if you use a scale & not a volume dipper)

So, one can see the relationship between the two & if one is careful & uses some common sense, one can figure out how to extrapolate from one to the other depending on which data is available.

ALL, "At your own risk!", of course.

I thought this might be helpful, otherwise I would not have posted in this topic, as I do not currently own a 45 Colt firearm, but I do use a lot of Red Dot/Promo as compared to Bullseye.

G'Luck! & BE Safe!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 11-28-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    I am finding that 3.5 gr of Red Dot, with any medium weight for caliber projectile just about equals "the load" for pistol cartridges. It doesn't cycle the action on my Tokarev, but it's fine in the 45 auto and 38 special. 9mm too.

I just finished my four pound jug of Red Dot, but that was to make room for the eight pound jug of Promo I had lusted after for years. If Promo is really almost identical to Red Dot, I might finish it in my natural lifetime.

Wayne
    I will pray for you. Hope you live long enough to use up a couple of cases of Promo...LOL

I stock a minimum of 60 lbs of Promo and I am 69. It is one of the most versatile powders. and it is inexpensive. I use it for 12 ga target loads, and when I run out of my stock of HP38 and Clean Shot (50 lbs) I will be using it for all my pistol loads except maximum loads for the .357 Mag. If I ever decide to shoot cast rifle bullets in the .308, it will be the first one I test with "the load".
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Red dot gets my vote for the best powder for the 44 Spl and 45Colt cartridges. At least, for standard velocity accuracy purposes. 5.5 grains under a 429-383 will make you smile when you seethe target your 44 has produced, as will the afore-mentioned 6.5 grain load under a .452 250 grain SWC in your 45Colt.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold
    Silly me, I have been using 11g of Blue Dot for 45 Colt. Not as scientifically as you fellas but I was liking the results. So far it’s been under plated and cast RNFPs in a Blackhawk, Win94, and Vaquero.

Just remember that, for any given velocity, peak pressure using Red Dot will be significantly higher than slower powders will produce. In a hot .357 load the difference is 40,000 vs. 29,000 for Bullseye, and 24,000 using Blue Dot. All will chrono about 1400 fps from a 5.5 inch barrel.

Personally, I like Red Dot for low-noise reduced velocity loads in rifles, and for mild loads in tiny pistol cases like .32 Long Colt. Although a much better load for the little Colt cartridge uses Herco. Lower pressure is safer in those old 19th century revolvers.
    Last edited by uscra112; 12-08-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12