Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman lubri sizer???

Boolit Master

Lyman lubri sizer???

I am seriously considering getting a Lyman lubri-sizer. I have easily identified the 2 sizing dies I need, a .358 and a .452, but the top punches are a mystery. I cast .358-158 RNFP, and .452-200 RNFP. Which top punches do I need?

Boolit Master
    The Lyman Cast Bullet Hand Book has a chart that lists all the molds and the required nose punch. Give me the mold # and I will look it up. The numbers you mention are not on the list.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    The Lyman Cast Bullet Hand Book has a chart that lists all the molds and the required nose punch. Give me the mold # and I will look it up. The numbers you mention are not on the list.
    I actually have that book but forgot about it. IF what I need is not on the list, now what?

Boolit Master
    Since you are casting flat points, take a look at using the 429 top punch for both.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master

I'd use a #190 for the .452 bullet.

2nd the #429, it's what I use for the Lee # 358-158-RF
    Last edited by Walks; 11-18-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. I'm going to either get the lubri-sizer, or give up on casting all together. Pan lubing doesn't work, and tumble lubing just makes a mess.

Boolit Grand Master

The 358-158-RF Lee mold will take Lyman 43 or 495 top punch. If the 452 is Lee mold I think Lyman 649 top punch.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

I like to use what has been made available to us here. http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/th...bs-top-punches
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I am seriously considering getting a Lyman lubri-sizer. I have easily identified the 2 sizing dies I need, a .358 and a .452, but the top punches are a mystery. I cast .358-158 RNFP, and .452-200 RNFP. Which top punches do I need?
    Any boolit that has a flat point is best served with a flat top punch . I first tried it with a top punch that was supposed to fit... Lee moulds don't always (usually never) fit top punches made for Lyman moulds . My boolit was a Truncated Cone Lee 356-120-TC ... the ill fitting top punch got filled with JB Weld Epoxy putty , let cure and sanded the punch dead flat . That punch will work with any boolit that has a flat spot on it . Wadcutter , semi-wadcutter , truncated cone and round flat .
    Truth be known I used it on some round nosed boolits ...worked like a charm .
    Flat top punches are the best , seat the boolit base into the sizing die and center the boolit on the top punch and size away...any misalignment will be corrected because the boolit nose can slide just a little on the flat .
    Try it ...You Will Like It !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Any boolit that has a flat point is best served with a flat top punch . I first tried it with a top punch that was supposed to fit... Lee moulds don't always (usually never) fit top punches made for Lyman moulds . My boolit was a Truncated Cone Lee 356-120-TC ... the ill fitting top punch got filled with JB Weld Epoxy putty , let cure and sanded the punch dead flat . That punch will work with any boolit that has a flat spot on it . Wadcutter , semi-wadcutter , truncated cone and round flat .
    Flat top punches are the best , seat the boolit base into the sizing die and center the boolit on the top punch and size away...any misalignment will be corrected because the boolit nose can slide just a little on the flat .
    Gary
    I like how you think!!

Boolit Master
    A Star or Magma Lubesizer is the easiest and fastest way to do it. Look into them. I still have my Lyman 4500, but I don't use it for anything. Star gets the nod no matter the caliber.

I haven't done it, but you used to hear about folks modifying a top punch with JB weld.

Get one with a nose end a little too large, oil it some so the boolit you use for a mold doesn't stick.
    Put JB weld in the nose end, then put your boolit part way down in the sizer die, and set the ram down on it until the epoxy is set.

The ram will align everything, and you should have a perfect fit.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

I do similar as Winger Ed, 'cept I use Thermo-Grip Hot melt Glue. As a matter of fact, I have about 1/2-dozen top punches I turned flat on my UniMat mini lathe from scrap aluminum, just for this purpose. If you Google a search for hot melt glue top punches on this Site -- you should find many how to do it posts. This is where I learned the technique/trick. If you don't have scrap aluminum to turn, or "doubles" on top punches which fit the bill, NOE sells blank, quite inexpensive flat punches one can readily use.
    BEST!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    If you don't have scrap aluminum to turn, or "doubles" on top punches which fit the bill, NOE sells blank, quite inexpensive flat punches one can readily use.
    Years ago, I got a new mold and nobody had the right top punch in stock.

While it was on back order, I was getting impatient and was going to make one by finding a bolt with a shank on it the right size.
    The boolit was sort of a spire point and I thought if I cut off the shank at the right length,
    and drill a bit of a hole in the end of the bolt head, and with a little JB weld, I could make the top punch.

I went by the local hardware store on the way home from work, and got the bolt.
    However; my new top punch had come in the mail went I got home...
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Gary
    What he said/Ed

Froogal, I have a like new .452" Lyman H & I (sizing die) sitting on my desk as I write. PM me if you're interested in purchasing it.

Boolit Master
    FWIW have the Lee 358-158 RNFP and the 495 top punch was a poor fit, had to open it up or the bullet would not fit into the opening and it marked up the bullet. Once opened and polished it works okay but is not an out of the box solution. Lee is missing out by not making top punches for Lyman/RCBS sizers that fit their designs.

Boolit Master
    It seems that the Lyman 4500 is currently out of stock. No point in ordering any of what I need until I can get all of it.