In the last two months I have had 2 different fraudulent charges made
    on my Cabelas Master Card,I give credit to Capitol One for recognizing
    these charges as fraudulent and notifying me.I am however disturbed
    that some where along the line there is a breech in the system and have
    discontinued use and cancelled my card.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus

I had some fraudulent charges on mine, a couple months after the change-over to Cap One...I don't recall if that was one or two years ago? Anyway, I had them cancel the old card and issue a new card with new number.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    White - I've got family with a farm up in Reliance, and more family in Chamberlain.

Unfortunately with credit cards anymore, that's the way it goes... Glad they caught it. CC companies usually cover and "eat" the fraud, I can't imagine how much that costs annually.

Boolit Master
    Tx for then heads up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I had some fraudulent charges on mine, a couple months after the change-over to Cap One...I don't recall if that was one or two years ago? Anyway, I had them cancel the old card and issue a new card with new number.
    yep same here they canceled old gave me new and in 1 month had more bogus charges
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

bogus charges generally come from employees of vendor who you have shopped with.

Boolit Master
    Yep, most likely someone/somewhere you used your card. I got hit from a scanner on a gas pump. 2 hours after I bought gas( middle of the night at a rough location) I had a charge for sneekers, I don’t buy them and I sure don’t ship them somewhere 300 miles from home. There was a “thing” in front of the card slot on the gas pump, I noticed but disregarded it as “that’s weird”. Guy from card services said that is a common way of getting info. And a small charge is used to variety data, and see if anyone noticed. Was my Cabelas Visa, can happen to any card.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I gotten several fraudulent charges on my Cabela’s card with the old company. It’s because I buy a lot of stuff online and over the phone. Whoever is writing down my number keeps it and uses it. I bet I’ve had my card number changed a good six times in the last 20 years from them. I would figure out who you bought something from in the last month that you bought something from previously and I’ll guarantee you that’s who’s taking your card number down.

Boolit Buddy
    Im trying to get out of my Cabela's card anyway (interest too high)&(i'm not a Basspro fan), but it does not matter what name or Company/Bank name is on the card, someone is always trying to scam it. My main Bank VISA just got a new number last month.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master

I've had several bogus charges on various cards over the last few years. The card companies usually caught it, and on two or three occasions called me during the attempted transaction(s).

I'm almost certain that my wife's card was scanned at a gas pump once. The remainder of the times I have no idea how the card was compromised. One time someone was attempting to purchase an expensive purse in London, a place I have never been.

Usually no big deal, the CC company voids the card and overnights a replacement.

Boolit Master

It is the world we live in. Down by Miami I stopped to get gas at a Pilot station and My card was declined and my phone started going off. The card number was captured and there was a $100 charge before I could even get the pump to work, and someone at Chase thought it was suspicious, God bless them. The card was immediately shut down. Luckily I had another card to use for gas or I would not have gotten very far. We have two Chase accounts because I believe they are pretty vigilant. My daughter got a card from the local credit union and it was stolen along with her purse and used and it was a pain to get that straightened out. About a year later she got a summons to appear at court for the perps trial, so they were caught, I hope they get a nice long vacation.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Several years ago I was gassing up to go to the airport. Flying out for a week. Card was turned down and I found a message that it was canceled due to suspect charges. I had to use my debit card on that trip and I hate doing that due to it being tied to our bank accounts. Theoretically if used a credit you are protected but my bank still recommends against it. Must be a small chance, don’t know. My daughters got canceled for the same reason but they were her charges, on a road trip. She was furious, they did not notify her first. Knowing her, I feel for whoever was on the other end of that phone call.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by CoRifleman View Post
    White - I've got family with a farm up in Reliance, and more family in Chamberlain.

Unfortunately with credit cards anymore, that's the way it goes... Glad they caught it. CC companies usually cover and "eat" the fraud, I can't imagine how much that costs annually.
    They rarely eat the fraud, they refuse to pay the company who caused the charge, negating it to you. The only exception is if they can "prove" they checked the card and ID and they matched. Few companies, especially small ones, keep that info. That is why on line orders want the 3 digit code on the back.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    They rarely eat the fraud, they refuse to pay the company who caused the charge, negating it to you. The only exception is if they can "prove" they checked the card and ID and they matched. Few companies, especially small ones, keep that info. That is why on line orders want the 3 digit code on the back.
    Yes, thanks for the clarification, I just meant I'm glad the burden is removed from the cardholder. The vendor is inevitably left holding the (empty) bag.

Moderator Emeritus

I had issues using my cc on Walmart.com. Someone got my number and was ordering IPads somewhere out west. I even called the store where the IPads were waiting for pickup and told them to have the police waiting. Nope, they won't do that. Card had to be replaced again. I prefer using PayPal as the stores don't get my cc info.