RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: 1" Scope rings to 26mm

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama

1" Scope rings to 26mm

Looking at an older scope that uses 26mm rings but haven't been able to locate a reasonably priced set of rings . Anybody know someone reliable I could pay to hone a set of 1" Leupold windage adjustable rings to 26mm ? Thanks for any info .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

That would be a lot to Hone out. 1" is 25.4 MM so .6mm or roughly .025. would be better to set up in mill together and bore thru. Or possibly ream if a reamer can be found. Or grind but that would be a job for a jig grinder and theres not a lot of those machines around. One issue will be he anodizing and cutting thru it, then the aluminum is going to want to load the hone up fast. Set up in a mill with boring head and carbide bar it would be more set up than machining. Getting set square and true in both planes then indicate in to zero to locate scope holes. Mount boring head and bar and touch off then .o1o or so a pass. a piece of scope rail to lock them on and align them.
    First thing to check is that there is enough inside the ring screws to hold

Boolit Grand Master

1" Leupold windage adjustable rings are steel.

Unless you can find someone to do the machining for pro bono it may be cheaper to get 30mm rings and use a 2mm shim or you can purchase these:

https://www.amazon.com/PRI-Polymer-R.../dp/B003XEHV4S.

eBay sells them also.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-17-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Having tried this before, I can tell you that I wouldn't try it again. I had it done by an excellent machinist, but it was never right. I had to solder nuts on the bottom rings to have enough to tighten them down. I'm sure someone clever can do it better though!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    30mm rings and reducing bushings are the way to go
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Thanks . Looks like the inserts and 30mm rings are the way to go .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Having tried this before, I can tell you that I wouldn't try it again. I had it done by an excellent machinist, but it was never right. I had to solder nuts on the bottom rings to have enough to tighten them down. I'm sure someone clever can do it better though!

I have done a total of one set. I did it on a Bridgeport with a boring head but they can be done on a lathe with a faceplate. The key is to determine what the space between the ring halves is when it is very lightly clamped on a 1" diameter. I used a steel spacers that completely filled the gap so I didn't have any interrupted cut issues. I would do this one but I am just in the process of moving my Bridgeports from the upstairs to the downstairs. I may not be back up for several months.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-17-2019 at 09:56 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I have done a total of one set. I did it on a Bridgeport with a boring head but they can be done on a lathe with a faceplate. The key is to determine what the space between the ring halves is when it is very lightly clamped on a 1" diameter. I used a steel spacers that completely filled the gap so I didn't have any interrupted cut issues. I would do this one but I am just in the process of moving my Bridgeports from the upstairs to the downstairs. I may not be back up to several months.
    Nice! Like I said - someone a little more clever....

Boolit Grand Master

I have done a couple sets when I was working and had access to the machines. I to shimmed the rings in to round holes and locked them down with screws. Then clamped onto a piece of brownells blank and aligned as best I could. indicated in in 2 planes to square and bored. Here I used a mill or the jig bore. one set I bored under .005 and then set up in jig grinder and ground to size ( it was for the plant manager LOL)….

In a way I think it would be easier to make from scratch than the boring out. Like M Tecs My shop is still in the "building stages" Machines are set but need wired and leveled up.

Conetrol.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Conetrol.
    While Conetrol are very nice for the base and rings its over $200.00. The OP asked for a "reasonably priced set of rings"

http://www.conetrol.com/specialty.html

http://www.conetrol.com/signature.html

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Banned
    Bushings are easy and work great. Get the 30MM rings, then have a pair of bushings made to fit your scope. I turn the OD and ID deep enough I can part off two rings, then split the rings.

Boolit Buddy
    Why not plug the holes and do the job the right way, bubba made a mess but you can fix it.

Boolit Buddy
    sorry wrong place , thought tis was the one with holes off center