Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 350 Legend brass hard to clean/staining

350 Legend brass hard to clean/staining

Picked up range brass 350 Legend 3 different times total ~ 80 cases, tossed it into the polisher. Walnut media with NuFinish. It is not cleaning very well, the last batch was mixed with some 35 Remington that was picked up at the same time, it polished beautifully. Winchester putting something on the case I'm not aware of?

Picked these up just in case a buddy decides he can't live without one of these new fangled rifles.

Odd/new/low volume brass I usually snag. I polish it before I bag it. Then it waits until someone comes looking for it.

This isn't polishing very well.

The run of the mill stuff, 9mm/40/223 goes into the recycle bucket with the money going back into the range for improvements.

Anybody else not pleased with how their 350 brass is (not)cleaning?
    Last edited by 15meter; 11-17-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Boolit Master

A friend had some newer caliber......5.27? from FN that had a lacquer coating and caused a problem when resizing. That would seem to be obvious though. I have found that any brass that sits on my grass and gets rained on, quickly tarnishes and won't shine even after tumbling in walnut media. It is still very functional but is brown.

Brass is brass irrespective of caliber/cartridge. . . sorta.
    What brand here ?

Banned

Put a little bit of mineral spirits in with it and tumble again.

BTW, the 5.7 case are not meant to be tumbled. Yes it is a lacquer coating on them. It is meant to be there to aid in extraction. If you tumble it off, you have to put it back on before shooting again.

Boolit Master
    Winchester is not the old Winchester we once knew. Current Winchester is turning out crap brass with no regard to reloading after initial firing, doesn't matter what chambering. They're cutting corners anyplace they can to pull cost out of production.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    A friend had some newer caliber......5.27? from FN that had a lacquer coating and caused a problem when resizing. That would seem to be obvious though. I have found that any brass that sits on my grass and gets rained on, quickly tarnishes and won't shine even after tumbling in walnut media. It is still very functional but is brown.

I've had the same thing with brass that gets lost in the grass and found days/weeks/months later. It actually turns a very cool dark brownish but polishes up nicely.

Some of this never hit dirt, laid on concrete when I picked it up, and not for long. It was different than any I've had before, as I said in the original post, some 35 Remington that was picked up at the same time came out of the polisher looking great.

And it was almost all Winchester, with a couple of pieces of Federal brass mixed in.

I even took some citric acid and hand rubbed a couple to see if that would help. Only thing that helped was several more hours in the polisher.

Weird.

Boolit Master

Never could get “patina” brass to to look like new. Ooh it gets clean!! Its just never brite gleaming like new ever again.

But anything I have that hasent been exposed to elements for time comes as clean as new!

Walnut for really dirty/ tarnighed. And Corn for light or to remove sizing lube.

Generally ill tumble dirty brass overnight or all day while working.

Either your media is shot or ya just need to give it more time.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I've had the same thing with brass that gets lost in the grass and found days/weeks/months later. It actually turns a very cool dark brownish but polishes up nicely.

Some of this never hit dirt, laid on concrete when I picked it up, and not for long. It was different than any I've had before, as I said in the original post, some 35 Remington that was picked up at the same time came out of the polisher looking great.

And it was almost all Winchester, with a couple of pieces of Federal brass mixed in.

I even took some citric acid and hand rubbed a couple to see if that would help. Only thing that helped was several more hours in the polisher.

Weird.
    They must have changed their alloy for the brass. Seems like the only possible explanation. 350 is a new cartridge so it makes sense.