Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: WTT need .224 bullets

Boolit Buddy

WTT need .224 bullets

I'm going down the rabbit hole of PC'D cast bullets in AR-15, 16", 1/8 TWIST BARREL. So far the Arsenal Molds 62 grain "Elvis" mold for PC is a complete and utter failure. Looking to try a NOE 70 grn or Arsenal 73 grn. See below links. I need the PB bullets not GC.

I have all kinds of bullets to trade for some samples. Or .30 cal gas checks.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...agpaq5hp0n6ft1

http://arsenalmolds.com/products/225-77-Elvis

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

cast can problematic in a ar platform thats why I got the btsimple die set and make jacketed from 22lr brass, his starter die set is not that expensive and they can be done on a regular press.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot that bullet out of my 1:7 twist. 18gns H335 and sized .226.
    If I push it any harder or size any smaller, it's not impressive at all.
    Also greatly improved accuracy by using NOE expander plug, even with my hard bullets that weren't getting swagged by the brass. Probably had some run-out going on.
    I wouldn't give up on it quite yet.
    How hard are you pushing them and what are they sized to?
    I never slugged my barrel. Just kept expanding my sizing die .0005 until the rifle seemed to like it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Also greatly improved accuracy by using NOE expander plug, even with my hard bullets that weren't getting swagged by the brass. Probably had some run-out going on.
    I never slugged my barrel. Just kept expanding my sizing die .0005 until the rifle seemed to like it.

I'm sizing to .225. Had one Lee .225 die sizing to .224, this one sizes to .2245/.225. Tried loading them as cast and PC'd and they wouldn't chamber.

I'm using a Lyman "M" expander die to open up the cases and a Lee factory crimp die to remove the flare.

The crappy part for me is I'm Active duty working 90 hours a week and my range is 1:15 min away.....

Boolit Buddy

Here's one of the last load work ups I did with moderate performance.

https://youtu.be/3r-4TJ-0X9I

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    cast can problematic in a ar platform thats why I got the btsimple die set and make jacketed from 22lr brass, his starter die set is not that expensive and they can be done on a regular press.
    Got a link? I can get plenty of 22LR brass from the kids!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield0612 View Post
    I'm sizing to .225. Had one Lee .225 die sizing to .224, this one sizes to .2245/.225. Tried loading them as cast and PC'd and they wouldn't chamber.

I'm using a Lyman "M" expander die to open up the cases and a Lee factory crimp die to remove the flare.

The crappy part for me is I'm Active duty working 90 hours a week and my range is 1:15 min away.....

It's good odds that they are too small in diameter. I feel your pain on load development. My drive isn't that far but it's far enough that I'll sometimes spend weeks trying to develop a load when it could've been done in a few hours if I could still shoot off the back porch.

Boolit Buddy
    It's good odds that they are too small in diameter. I feel your pain on load development. My drive isn't that far but it's far enough that I'll sometimes spend weeks trying to develop a load when it could've been done in a few hours if I could still shoot off the back porch.
    Okay. Well I have an extra die m, sounds like I will try to open it up to .226. What method did you use? I've done 2 dies running lapping compound coated bullets through the die repeatedly.

Boolit Buddy
    I found the post. Holy cow it looks amazing and he cut the price in half. I'm seriously considering moving some money around..... My range I shoot at has .22 brass all over the place. We'll see. I'm going to try to open up a sizing die to .226 and see if it improves.

Boolit Buddy
    Okay. Well I have an extra die m, sounds like I will try to open it up to .226. What method did you use? I've done 2 dies running lapping compound coated bullets through the die repeatedly.

I duct taped a piece of sand paper to a drill bit and....the rest is obvious. A few seconds at a time is plenty.

Banned
    careful with the drill, you're only going .002. I wrap 400 grit sandpaper around a dowel, slide it through the die and roll it on my leg. Check it often and when you get close the desired diameter switch to 800-100 grit.

Boolit Buddy
    You guys rock! I'll give it a go!

Boolit Master

look up bt sniper in the vendor section, he has 2 levels for the 223/5.56 the top shelf expensive one and the bt simple set that makes the 55 grain pills that look and shoot just like the pro ones. if you can save and get a swag set up you will not be sorry. just be careful because swagging is a hole nother rabbit hole to fall down.

Boolit Buddy
    look up bt sniper in the vendor section, he has 2 levels for the 223/5.56 the top shelf expensive one and the bt simple set that makes the 55 grain pills that look and shoot just like the pro ones. if you can save and get a swag set up you will not be sorry. just be careful because swagging is a hole nother rabbit hole to fall down.
    I talked with the wife. Seriously going to look into the swage kit. I'm perfectly happy with casting for all my other guns. I get sub MOA with my .308 at 100 yards so good there. Everything else is GTG, just these darn .223 rounds....

Boolit Master

thats what got me into this. once youve had to clean lead out of the gas tube you start looking for more reliable ways to make things work. I swag for the 5.56 and my 25-06. lots of folks have made cast work in the ar but with the binary triggers I just never had good luck with cast.

Boolit Buddy
    thats what got me into this. once youve had to clean lead out of the gas tube you start looking for more reliable ways to make things work. I swag for the 5.56 and my 25-06. lots of folks have made cast work in the ar but with the binary triggers I just never had good luck with cast.
    I opened up my sizing die. But I've also got 1/2 the $$$ for BT Snipers swage kit.

Boolit Buddy
    I opened up my sizing die and its barely touching the bullets and all measure .226" will get to the range to see how they do. But I had some odds and ends laying around I was able to sell to get the $$$ fornthe BT Sniper swage kit. So looking fwd to that!!!

Vendor Sponsor

I opened up my sizing die and its barely touching the bullets and all measure .226" will get to the range to see how they do. But I had some odds and ends laying around I was able to sell to get the $$$ fornthe BT Sniper swage kit. So looking fwd to that!!!

I know this thread is months old, but I'm also going down this hole.... How do you like swagging? I'm thinking of trying myself...

Boolit Buddy
    Interested too, but $1000 for a kit is a bit on the pricey side. Is 223 THAT impossible to cast?

Banned
    I cast the Lee C225-55-RF/GC/PC for my mini 14, just starting load development at 50 yards.

got a3/4" group with 4064 and BE and a 7/8" group with Varget around 22 grns

had a terrible scope on the gun and recently put a better scope on it so------ I'll see.